Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed I was supposed to replace the spark plugs on my bike at 20,000 miles......about 15,000 ago. Ordered new plugs. Now I see I was supposed to replace the fuel filter at 25,000 miles. That appears to be a much bigger deal to pull off.

I'd like opinions on how important it is to change the fuel filter, especially since I don't have any fuel problems.....yet. Is it necessary to have the dealer do this or would I need the, "cam ring remover/installer" called for in the manual if I did it myself.

Thanks,

VR

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,449 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Harley, and have never changed a fuel filter to date on any of them in probably 100K of combined road miles. It is a maintenance item, and if either I have a reason they need to get into the fuel system at the local shop or I start having fuel issues, I'll get it done.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on my 3rd Harley, and have never changed a fuel filter to date on any of them in probably 100K of combined road miles. It is a maintenance item, and if either I have a reason they need to get into the fuel system at the local shop or I start having fuel issues, I'll get it done.
That is the response I hoped for, bless you......from another, "retired old fart".

VR

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I changed mine at 25k and it looked bad.
Pretty simple to change, you need to buy a tool to remove a ring on the tank.
Get the service manual.

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
I suggest changing the filter, no special tool needed. I use a brass punch with a blunt end. Tape around the fuel canopy to prevent scratches then tap the punch with a hammer on the lock ring ears (like unscrewing a jar lid) to unlock the ring. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest changing the filter, no special tool needed. I use a brass punch with a blunt end. Tape around the fuel canopy to prevent scratches then tap the punch with a hammer on the lock ring ears (like unscrewing a jar lid) to unlock the ring. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.
Okay, I'm convinced. Thanks to all and thanks SCHMIDTY for the tool tip.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
It seems to me that the tool for the removal of the tank ring is reasonably priced and should be part of a tool kit for anyone who plans to own a bike for an extended period of time. Thank you SCHMIDTYS for the tool tip in the interim!

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
That special tool is dangerous, seen a few dinged tanks in the shop from it. The dang thing is so heavy it falls off the 1/2" ratchet. It's a two handed tool !

·
Registered
28 Posts
That special tool is dangerous, seen a few dinged tanks in the shop from it. The dang thing is so heavy it falls off the 1/2" ratchet. It's a two handed tool !
IMHO, I have the tool, used it as per my comment above. ;-) You could scratch the tank if your not careful, but I'd say that its more dangerous to use the alternative way without. It's pricey but cheaper than a paint job :)

·
Done
4,154 Posts
How much time is required to change this? If not long, why not just have the dealer do it and let them have the responsibility of effin it up?

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Dealer would charge about 1 hr labor.

·
Registered
811 Posts

I agree. There's a special tool part # xyz---/abc for everything and at a special price. Some repairs its a must but most there is an alternate way around. For me the tapping ring around by far out weighs risk. It's not as if ur using a 15# sledge hammer. As is most alternate tools and methods its definatley worth the savings. Schmidty was just trying to help a feller save money the way he has found works for him.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
That used filter would suggest a lot of crap in the premium gas we buy. . . . or the tank is rusting and flaking.

Keep your tanks full. . . less likely to rust

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
About 2hrs for the DIY at home. Ya gotta be careful getting the filter seated correctly in the spring clamp or the filter will leak pressure and the engine won't run. The engine will run for a minute or 2 until the throttle body fuel log is empty then the engine won't restart ! Then ya gotta take everything all back apart again !!!
Best to reference the factory service manual for this type of work.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Buckshot...when it gets nice enough...if it ever does, ride your scooter around Lake Winnebago and we can change your filter out and learn...then once we've got it figured out, when can do mine...just a thought...
:rollin:thumb:banana:cheers

1 - 20 of 37 Posts