Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1996 flhr fuel gage reads full all the time. Have put in new sending unit and it still reads full all the time. Does anyone have an idea whats wrong?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It could be the gauge itself. You'll have to take off the outer to test it.

Unplug it from the wiring and see if the needle moves.

Run the the tank down below a half tank and check the voltage on the wiring at the back of the gauge. The voltage should drop as the tank level lowers. If it is and the gauge isn't moving, it's shot.

Has it done it since you got the bike or did t just start? If there were wires crossed or shorted and it was getting full voltage all the time, it could do that.

Lastly, if the gauge does move when unplugged, but it jumps back up instantly when re-powered instead of a nice smooth even climb up, the gauge is shot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
43 Posts
I recently bought a 2004 heritage and it has the same problem. Goes up to full when started and drops to empty when turned off. Yesterday it stopped running as I was going down the highway. Couldn't figure out what was wrong and had it towed home. Found out it was because there was next to no gas in the tank. I have read that there was a tech bulletin put out that says a ring on the float gets hung up and makes it read full all of the time. It talked about how they took it to the shop and they grinded the ring down for around $160 and hadn't had any problems since.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
930 Posts
I recently bought a 2004 heritage and it has the same problem. Goes up to full when started and drops to empty when turned off. Yesterday it stopped running as I was going down the highway. Couldn't figure out what was wrong and had it towed home. Found out it was because there was next to no gas in the tank. I have read that there was a tech bulletin put out that says a ring on the float gets hung up and makes it read full all of the time. It talked about how they took it to the shop and they grinded the ring down for around $160 and hadn't had any problems since.

I would reset ur milage on fill ups and keep track of the tank this way. Lots still do it this way including myself, way more accurate. That fuel gauge is just not reliable enough.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I would reset ur milage on fill ups and keep track of the tank this way. Lots still do it this way including myself, way more accurate. That fuel gauge is just not reliable enough.

Yup. I have a gauge but i still know i gotta fill up between 175 and 200 miles. 225 if i need to push a lil further.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yup. I have a gauge but i still know i gotta fill up between 175 and 200 miles. 225 if i need to push a lil further.

I wish mine got mileage like that. Bought it used with a stage 3 kit on it. Only get about 150 on a 5 gal. tank. The kit lowered the mileage, but it gave it some power. Well worth the trade. I have been using the trip meter ever since finding out that the gauge doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I wish mine got mileage like that. Bought it used with a stage 3 kit on it. Only get about 150 on a 5 gal. tank. The kit lowered the mileage, but it gave it some power. Well worth the trade. I have been using the trip meter ever since finding out that the gauge doesn't work.

He's not doing a whole lot better. He is just carrying an extra gallon.

I can get about 180 miles before I start puckering on my '05 EGC. It has the five gallon tank. based on my mpg, which is typically around 39 for me, I guess I could get real close to 200 before running out. But, I stop at the first station I see after passing 150 or so. I'm not interested in testing any theories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts