Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 EG, when I got the bike the PO told me once the pump went out the gauge was never right after that. It stays on Full until it's almost empty. I just got another sending unit and pump assembly in today plugged it in and the same thing happens. Any ideas? I have checked all connections ect. Is something wired wrong?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 2005 EG, when I got the bike the PO told me once the pump went out the gauge was never right after that. It stays on Full until it's almost empty. I just got another sending unit and pump assembly in today plugged it in and the same thing happens. Any ideas? I have checked all connections ect. Is something wired wrong?

Have you looked at your float and arm assm. to see if the arm is strait ????

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's not a problem that can be easily "fixed" I don't believe. My 2005 Classic did the same thing. I think about all of them from that era do it.

I messed around with using a variety of in-line resisters and/or diodes in the sending circuit in an attempt to "calibrate" the readings. I got it better, but I never came up with the perfect solution.

I traded the bike for a 2011. It does it as well, but not nearly as bad.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,458 Posts
The gas gauge on my Ultra sits directly above the Air Temp Gauge. Both are equally useless IMHO, and for what it's worth, my handlebar RAM Mount for the GPS blocks 90% of the gas gauge anyway. Trip meter works a lot better for guesstimating gas remaining in tank based on miles ridden.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uggg that's not what I wanted to hear fellas I thought for sure it was the sending unit. The gauge is new and the bike has 100k on it so I just spent some money on another unit plugged it in to the harness outside of the tank and moved the float and it did the same thing as the old one. Where is HD getting their engineers? ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts