Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Heritage used and with a full tank of fuel. I began to think that this bike got fantastic milage but realized that the needle sticks on "F". I lifted the gauge out of it's resting place but the two wires are buried within another chamber under the speedometer. Where is the sending unit for this gauge and can this be corrected without buying another gauge? The needle swings from "E" to "F" when the ignition is energized but it stays there. I just added 3.5 gallons to the tank yesterday and it was still on "F". Any help?

·
Registered
39,490 Posts
Where is the sending unit for this gauge and can this be corrected without buying another gauge?
There is a plate screwed onto the fuel tank with 10 T20 Torx screws under the instrument cluster. The sending unit is attached to this plate.

You can try removing this and checking the resistance on the 2 leads coming from the sending unit while moving the float through it's range of motion to make sure its not reading a short.

The fuel sending unit should read:
Full - 27.5 - 39.5 Ohm
1/2 - 97 - 118 Ohm
Empty - 240 - 260 Ohm

According to Wiring diagram B29 in the service manual

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys. It's an 04' Softail Heritage. I'll probably pull it out this winter.

·
Registered
39,490 Posts
Also, to make sure the wiring harness isn't getting shorted somewhere else, unplug the wiring harness from the sending unit and unplug the fuel guage harness under the tank. Then measure the wiring harness, should read infinite ohms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Priming of Fuel Pump

I have a 2000 Harley Ultra Classic. Sometimes when I switch it on and hit the run button my fuel pump does not prime therefore the bike will not start. When I continue to activate the switch it will then prime and I have no other issues. The problem does not present itself often but when it does it may take a few minutes to get it to prime. One mechanic said my voltage was low and replaced the battery which seemed to have corrected it. The HD Dealer replaced a relay and that appeared to have corrected it however, when riding recently I experienced this same issue once again. Could it be a fuel pump going out? Thanks for any help in resolving.

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
I have a 2000 Harley Ultra Classic. Sometimes when I switch it on and hit the run button my fuel pump does not prime therefore the bike will not start. When I continue to activate the switch it will then prime and I have no other issues. The problem does not present itself often but when it does it may take a few minutes to get it to prime. One mechanic said my voltage was low and replaced the battery which seemed to have corrected it. The HD Dealer replaced a relay and that appeared to have corrected it however, when riding recently I experienced this same issue once again. Could it be a fuel pump going out? Thanks for any help in resolving.
Sounds like the typical corroded ignition switch contacts thing . You can pull the dash up and remove the switch to clean the contacts . The switch comes apart by removing the snap ring then carefully separating the switch halves . Carefull cause there are loose components inside the switch .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like the typical corroded ignition switch contacts thing . You can pull the dash up and remove the switch to clean the contacts . The switch comes apart by removing the snap ring then carefully separating the switch halves . Carefull cause there are loose components inside the switch .
Thanks for the info, I will give that a try!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts