Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all go about starting your fuel injected Dyna's? Normally I turn the key to the on position and listen to the fuel pump. Once its finished priming I hit the start button. What I'm finding though is sometimes the bike fires right up and sometimes it just cranks. I then have to shut the bike down and start over. This is a 2007 Street Bob that used to be my Dad's and he always had the same issue with it. I just put in new plugs (the others were the original plugs) and it seems to start better but will still occasionally give me a problem. I never touch the throttle when starting the bike so I'm fairly sure I'm not flooding it. Seems to start right up when cold but will give me this issue once it's warmed up. It doesn't happen all the time and it's really just a nuisance more than anything else.

Any ideas?

thanks,
KrustyTC

·
Retired citizen
22,122 Posts
Check to see if there's any stored codes. It could be that the CKP is getting out of parameters but is still functioning.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have the same bike as yours (all stock engine), and occasionally I have the same issue. Mine will sometimes do it hot and cold. Hasn't done it recently, though. I'm wondering if old fuel may have had something to do with it. I always run premium in it.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
'11 Fat Bob here and I asked about the same issue a while ago. I haven't got a real answer yet, experience tell me that once you open up the exhaust and intake it happens with more frequency.

I'll ponder the problem for a while and see what I can come up with, in the meantime do check your codes, P0374 (I think) is a Crank position sync error code that will pop up if the bike is cranked for several seconds without starting. This one doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is bad, but if your bike is throwing this code regularly, the sensor may be weak and it's a quick and easy sensor to change out. Insurance in my opinion, it that little sucker gives up, your stranded.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
My '11 FXDC will do that from time to time if I don't have it in neutral.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could be Sh$t in gas. I always use a SE. Octane booster. It solves ALOT of fuel issues. My opinion. My motor is not stock it needs the booster. But the way gas is now every once and a while u all should use some. Just sayin.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always run premium fuel as well and try to stay away from "no name" gas stations. Although I've gotten a bad tank of gas at Mobil on more than one occasion so I stay away from them as well.

I'll check the codes this week and see what it says if anything.

I'll also throw in a bottle of fuel system cleaner/octane booster and see if that helps.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Here's a picture of the bike after I detailed it this past weekend.

later,
KrustyTC

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2011 fxdc when warmed up. To avoid the problem when warm just turn the switch and immediately hit the start switch. It's starts fine if you do this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@msw I've tried flipping the throttle but haven't had it work on a consistent basis yet. I'm picking up some fuel system cleaner today and hope to be going to Laconia this Friday so that run should clean out any gunk in the fuel system.

Will let you all know how I make out.

Thanks again for all the advise!
KrustyTC

·
Registered
164 Posts
Got the same issue on my stock 09 Fat Bob. Seems to happen more often when it’s hot. I usually wait for the engine light to go off before I try to bust her off. Seems to happen less frequently when I do that...

My thinking is the ECM is running a self check and may not have the setting right for the particular conditions like temp and pressure. Just needs a few seconds to get everything dialed in... But thats just a shot in the dark of course...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a 2011 Super Glide Custom. I just turn on the key, and wait for the check engine light to go off, and it fires right up every time, hot or cold.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to Laconia today and the bike ran and started fine. I put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in before I headed out. Will run a couple more bottles through this season. Maybe I got some crappy gas at some point but as I stated this has happened to Dad as well.

Thank you again for all the advice,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
427 Posts
My 2011 Wide Glide does this when hot. Not always, but usually. Acts like vapor lock on the old carb models. I cure it the same way by cracking the throttle just a bit while starting. No engine mods on mine, just Rush slip-ons.

I'm not sure why, but the '05 RK, the '08 Ultra I had and my current '13 Street Glide never do this. And I use the same premium gas in both. Do the Softails do this or is this just a Dyna problem?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts