Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 03 Softail that is carburated. It starts fine and runs great with the choke on, it idles great with the choke off once warmed up. It runs great if I accelerate...the problem comes when I hold the RPMs at a steady rate under load. at 2000-2500 RPMs it seems to cut in and out. Doesn't sound like a fuel filter issue. Plugs and wires are new and I've run a cleaning agent through the fuel tank. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated????

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Check with "Schmidtys" on this forum. Probably can help you out.

Sounds like wrong jetting to me but I am not the expert.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've got an 03 Softail that is carburated. It starts fine and runs great with the choke on, it idles great with the choke off once warmed up. It runs great if I accelerate...the problem comes when I hold the RPMs at a steady rate under load. at 2000-2500 RPMs it seems to cut in and out. Doesn't sound like a fuel filter issue. Plugs and wires are new and I've run a cleaning agent through the fuel tank. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated????
I'd check for intake leaks first . Spray some wd-40 on the intake and if it raises the idle , you have a leak. :)

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
2000 - 2500 rpm is the bad zone on TC engines. Also at 2000 rpm you should be in 2nd gear not 3rd. Rule of thumb, a gear per 1000 rpm.
A #48 pilot jet helps in the 2000 rpm range but the gear makes the big difference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
2000 - 2500 rpm is the bad zone on TC engines. Also at 2000 rpm you should be in 2nd gear not 3rd. Rule of thumb, a gear per 1000 rpm.
A #48 pilot jet helps in the 2000 rpm range but the gear makes the big difference.

I would like to know what is being referred to here also. My 00 twinkie has never had a problem in that rpm range.:what?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Wouldn't this depend on the speed? At 50 MPH under a load I don't think I'd want to be in 2nd gear.
At 50 mph in second gear you are more likely to be raped by a polar bear and a grizzly bear in the same day than to be between 2000 and 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I think you mean a gear for every 10 mph

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
You got me ! MPH not RPM. The low 2000 rpm range had been a problem with the earlier TCs, caused slow throttle response and driveability issues. The MoCo issued a reflash for the ECM trying to clear the issues up.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
60MPH is 2000RPM. Riding solo on flat level roads runs there fine. I don't abuse it going up hill in that gear & speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts