Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Hopefully get some help here. So I went away a month ago for the military so my bike sat for a month. I had manual petcock turned off( was replaced 2 mo. Ago). I came home and found bike almost completely empty from sitting. I had approx. a gallon of fresh gas I put in and with fuel valve shut off, pours out of the bottom of the carb. Is my almost new petcock bad or is it something to do with carb? Please help. Bike is a 2000 nighttrain with rsd intake and vance &hines side shots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Just Ride
3,312 Posts
Petcock garbage and float needle bad.

·
Registered
39,780 Posts
^^^ What he said.

Petcock should shut off all fuel to the carb, also the float needle should keep fuel from overflowing in the carb.

Reactions: JTJ and Pred8er

·
Just Ride
3,312 Posts
Think about it, petcock off,fuel still flowing. Duh

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
23,293 Posts
Definatly was switched to off. Started after I put gas in it and just poured out with valve in off position. It also runs continuous when fuel is turned off.... Whats your take?
Check the two screws on the front , snug them down ,
but not too tight where it is hard to move the fuel on /off/reserve lever,
also make sure the bung nut is tight.

And thank you for your service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent I'll try that ,and if it dont work well new petcock and rebuilding the carb over the winter. Just sucks buy the petcock 2 months ago and failed already..... Thanks everyone for the insight and helping me try to figure it out!

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
Hello all. Hopefully get some help here. So I went away a month ago for the military so my bike sat for a month. I had manual petcock turned off( was replaced 2 mo. Ago). I came home and found bike almost completely empty from sitting. I had approx. a gallon of fresh gas I put in and with fuel valve shut off, pours out of the bottom of the carb. Is my almost new petcock bad or is it something to do with carb? Please help. Bike is a 2000 nighttrain with rsd intake and vance &hines side shots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check the two screws on the front , snug them down ,
but not too tight where it is hard to move the fuel on /off/reserve lever,
also make sure the bung nut is tight.

And thank you for your service.
Do not believe either would cause the bolded description in the op.

·
Mr.
78 Posts
Mine leaks if those two screws are loose but I know its coming when the lever gets easy to turn.

Mine leaks out the carb if I don't turn the petcock off when the tank gets hot. Hot from the sun or hot from just sitting over the hot engine to pull up and stop for a half hour.

Turn the petcock when when I stop and vent the gas cap, before I turn it back on if I've just stopped for a short stop.

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
Bike on the kickstand, leaning too the left.
Gas running up hill?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna taje the line off today ad see if fuel flows with it off. I'm also gonna try the screw trick. If it dont work. New petcock and carb over the winter

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
Wiil we ever know the resolution?
Or. Is she a 4 and go?

Reactions: JTJ

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
Yes. The bike is on the stand and the gas would be flowing uphill.
I was speaking of the fix.
Curious. What type petcock did you buy. Generic? OEM? Other?
Also. Assuming the engine is stock and running a CV carb, why new instead of a rebuild?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts