Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all
today i got a problem, fuel was leaking heavily out of the fuel supply line fitting under the tank at the chrome sleeve.
i have to stop the bike because my pants are getting wet, not a good feeling with a heated engine and 90°F outside.
i called AAA they send a tow truck, now i am at home and looked for the fuel line which i removed, seems to have no problem, but i will install a new one, just in case ( 11 years old ).
in the chrome fitting which comes out of the fuel tank i saw ( with a mirror ) there is an O-ring inside.
is it a problem just to remove this small o-ring with a dentists instrument or so and put in a new one ,or do i have to uninstall and replace the whole Chrome fitting part from the tank?

thanks in advance for your help, and have a great week
Ralph

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
There's TWO o-rings inside that fitting. One is farther up in the tip. The one that leaks most of thr time is the lower one you can see. There's a kit to replace them including the tool. Kinda pricey considering strong wire with a hook works. If you want the O-ring, you can match one up at any auto parts store or ask the HD parts guy for part #11323.

Harley Check Valve Rebuild Kit and instruction video by Fuel Tool:

EBay repair kit:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=301048025299

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: TXJax

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave63
i ordered the Tool Kit and O.Ring set, should arrive end of week, will see if it works.
thanks for your help.i will post it when i am finished
Ralph

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel tool

Hi to all

i got my fuel tool MC400, it worked, but the first hook broke after the first attempt.

Ralph

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is it just me or ?? ... when he plugged in the connector the fuel seems to leak a bit just before the video end....

·
On the loose
8,689 Posts
I got mine out with a pick , it was hard and brittle ,I really had to dig it out of the groove, came out in little pieces. Got an O-ring from John Deere for $1.30 , coated it along with the male end O-ring in silicone grease before I installed it , still seals 2 years later.

·
On the loose
8,689 Posts
Being his bike is an 03 they might issue a tech bulletin or maybe already do have but I'd think a recall is unlikely.

You can update your own for $1.30 > John Deere part # R26286 is the right size = 10mm X 14mm X 2mm is made of Nitril so it's fuel safe.

Harley will only sell the whole assembly for about $ 125 .

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Being his bike is an 03 they might issue a tech bulletin or maybe already do have but I'd think a recall is unlikely.

You can update your own for $1.30 > John Deere part # R26286 is the right size = 10mm X 14mm X 2mm is made of Nitril so it's fuel safe.

Harley will only sell the whole assembly for about $ 125 .
My bad . Didn't see what year bike he was having trouble with !:sleep

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I replace my O-ring on that quick release fitting yesterday as a matter of fact. I used 90° pick and a mirror with a headlamp on my head. Whole job literally took less than 5 minutes. I wasn't sure if I had the right size o-ring in my shop so I texted one of my HD mechanic friends and you told me it's the exact same o-ring that we use for our drain plugs. Put just a little tiny bit of o-ring grease on the new o-ring and the male fitting, put it back together, leak is gone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replace my O-ring on that quick release fitting yesterday as a matter of fact. I used 90° pick and a mirror with a headlamp on my head. Whole job literally took less than 5 minutes. I wasn't sure if I had the right size o-ring in my shop so I texted one of my HD mechanic friends and you told me it's the exact same o-ring that we use for our drain plugs. Put just a little tiny bit of o-ring grease on the new o-ring and the male fitting, put it back together, leak is gone!
Can you indulge me with the O-ring size to get for the lower?
Mine started leaking at the weekend on a 2010 FLHTCU and will start there with a replacement.
With the virus lockdown, only way to get anything is online here in the U.K.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
These are the "O" Rings I bought a few years ago for my drain plugs. The "O" Ring I used that day was from a HD oil change kit. After doing research on this here forum, I found out that this is the correct/same size "O" Ring for the drain plugs. The fact that I was able to use it for my fuel QD was a lucky tip from an Indy friend and it worked just fine. YMMV....... HD makes it some sort of secret on the QD "O" Ring size and won't sell anything like a rebuild kit for it in an effort to make you buy the whole QD fitting/hose. At least that's my guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts