Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed,reg-tor, check value, fuel pump, no start,added gas to ck valve tube,no start, ck spark plug dry ? What next

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Do you hear fuel pump running? Have you check fuel pressure? Do you replace hoses in tank? What year/model bike do you have? Come on bruh give us a little more info...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It's hard to diagnose a bike over the internet, especially when given almost no info. Don't worry- use as many words as you want, no extra charge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
03 nightrain, hear fuel pump,replaced all hoses In tank connected correct, no pressure Gage to test it, as I said put gas in check valve hose, tried to start then checked plugs to see it that gas made it to spark plugs didn't make it, they were dry. Watched video many times before I took on task to change the guts. It did cut off when I stop at times so I figured fuel filter, so really I might have a made a problem were their was none

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Really need to check the fuel pressure. If pump is running and you don’t hear gas spraying inside tank. It may be there isn’t any fuel pressure.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you just put fuel in the hose the pump will suck air and not provide pressure. You need around 60 PSI for the injectors.
Did you put fuel in the tank?
To check fuel pressure you will have to tap into the line that goes from the bottom of the tank to the throttle body.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes norm9278 fuel is in tank, but check valve hose has no fuel in it, so I put some in the hose just to see it bike would run, it didn't and when I checked the spark plugs they were dry, I thought that the fuel would be sucked into
engine and ran for just a couple of seconds, but as I said plugs were dry

·
Registered
528 Posts
Where did you put fuel? What hose?

And what year, model are you working on?

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Check out a product call fuel tool. They make a relatively inexpensive fuel pressure gauge that hooks right in line at the tank check valve. And it sounds like the fuel pump is not pumping. Unfortunately it sounds like you’re gonna have to take it back apart and see if you can find anything. Then you can take the pump and put it in a small container of gas and hook it to a 12 v source to see if it’s actually pumping.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Well guys just ordered mc500 dang!!, norm9278 put fuel in check valve hose,tube,line, 03 night train

You also shouldn’t need to put any fuel in the lines. Pump should prime everything on initial start up

·
Registered
528 Posts
Norm9278 check valve hose which comes off of reguator
Do you have the service manual? Check that the hoses are connected ( routed) properly inside the fuel tank. The chrome connector on the bottom of the tank is the check valve. Make sure the black elbow fitting is properly inserted into it, or fuel won't flow.
You can disconnect the throttle body end of the external fuel line and put it in a container, then turn on the switch. Fuel should flow into the container as long as the pump is running. The pump generates 60 PSI so be aware.
If the pump runs at key on, then you have a plumbing issue, bad check valve or bad pump. Check your work. Make sure your internal lines are routed correctly.
If the problem didn't exist until you replaced the filter it's likely that you screwed something up. Is the regulator housing properly seated? O ring in place? Recheck everything you did.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
It’s also not uncommon for the regulator housing tabs to break. That will cause a loss of pressure as well

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys let me tell u what I just did, remove fuel pump assem, connected the out side fuel pump connector to in side fuel pump connector turn start up knob, then push start button, fuel pump made not a sound, checked fuses all good, think pump should have made some noise?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts