Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one ,

I just picked up a 2015 street bob and looking at the specs it seems the tank is a 4.7 gal. I have filled the bike 4 times and the most I have gotten into the tank is 2.8 gals. But so far I have only gotten 130 miles out of a tank. I have 2016 vstrom also that is 5.3 gal tank and I can go 200 miles easy to 230 miles before fill up . So has any one else had this issue with not being able to fill the tank to at least 3.5 or 4 gals of gas ?. Also owners who own a street bob or a bike with similar tank size . What kind of fuel mileage are you getting and how far can you travel on one tank before you have to fill up. Thanks

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
2011 Heritage. 5 gallon tank. Most I've put in the tank is 4.1 gallons. I get about 35 in town and 42 on the highway. I do not go past 150 miles before filling up. I could get 200 miles plus but I don't push it.

·
8,662 Posts
Does the Street Bob have a reserve? If you get 130 miles on 2.8 gal of gas you are getting 46 mpg...not bad. If your tank holds 4.7 gal try riding 180 miles before filling up...that should give you a comfortable .8 gal of fuel reserve. Just sayin... Of course while experimenting make sure there are gas stations close by!! :laugh

·
Evil Clown
752 Posts
I put 4.6 gallons in my 5 gallon tank yesterday. Carbed Road King, I just hit reserve. Before mods, I would get mid to upper 40's MPG depending on my right hand.

Reactions: Jimmers

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have a 2012 WG with a 4.7 gallon tank. A while back getting ready for an Iron Butt ride, I filled it all the way up, carried an extra gallon of gas in a gas can and rode it on the highway until the tank was empty. I went 168 miles. When I did my Iron Butt, I averaged 34.8 miles per gallon. 1188 miles in 17.5 hours.

Doc

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put 4.6 gallons in my 5 gallon tank yesterday. Carbed Road King, I just hit reserve. Before mods, I would get mid to upper 40's MPG depending on my right hand.
How did you know when you hit reserve? When the fuel light came on? There's no petcock (fuel switch: on / off / reserve) so...........................

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
EFI bikes don't have a true "reserve". That's the point of the light.

Harley tried to make it so you have a little over a gallon when the light comes on. But, just like their fuel guages, it's not spot on. My 2011 ultra is pretty close to 1.1 or so. The two bikes before that came on sooner.

·
Evil Clown
752 Posts
How did you know when you hit reserve? When the fuel light came on? There's no petcock (fuel switch: on / off / reserve) so...........................
Yes, there is a petcock with on/off/reserve on carbed bikes. Old school. Just like I like it.

·
Frozen Member
2,328 Posts
Hello every one ,

I just picked up a 2015 street bob and looking at the specs it seems the tank is a 4.7 gal. I have filled the bike 4 times and the most I have gotten into the tank is 2.8 gals. But so far I have only gotten 130 miles out of a tank. I have 2016 vstrom also that is 5.3 gal tank and I can go 200 miles easy to 230 miles before fill up . So has any one else had this issue with not being able to fill the tank to at least 3.5 or 4 gals of gas ?. Also owners who own a street bob or a bike with similar tank size . What kind of fuel mileage are you getting and how far can you travel on one tank before you have to fill up. Thanks
You must be going by your gauge to decide when you need to fuel up? Harley fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I seem to have the only Harley made with an accurate gauge but most people ignore it and go by miles since the last fill up.

Its also possible but unlikely that your cross-over line under the front of the tank is plugged up, kinked or otherwise not allowing fuel from the right side to flow over to the left side once the fuel level drops to the level of the backbone of the frame, but my guess is that youre using the gauge. They didnt lie about the tank size so if youre only putting 2.8 in and havent run out its because thats all you used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
'16 Street Bob here. I get low to mid 40 mpg. Put in 3.8 after the light comes on. The gauge is kinda wonky, but generally points in the correct direction. I usually fill up way before the light, excuse to stretch and hydrate!

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

·
Wayward Son
23,863 Posts
What is with the rash of gas tank, capacity, MPG posts?

I got my bike(s) for fun. The love of Harley`s. The road.

Unless my gas usage pointed to a severe mechanical issue I just filled it up, reset the trip meter and rode the damn thing.
Eff the gauge.

But that`s just me. :dunno

·
Evil Clown
752 Posts

Unless my gas usage pointed to a severe mechanical issue I just filled it up, reset the trip meter and rode the damn thing.
Eff the gauge.

Nah, it ain't just you TS. There's plenty of us out here that do just that.

A friend of mine had cams and a tuner installed on his bike and was crying about his MPG dropping a bit. He was expecting BETTER than stock MPG. I just shook my head........

·
Registered
12,140 Posts

Eff the gauge.

No, it's not just you. Me too. And since I have had this '13 RG, now with almost 30K, I have yet to figure my mileage. I refill around 150-160 miles traveled and I figure my actual mpg probably sucks cause I like to twist the grip and hear my Rineharts at about 5K rpm. Cheap thrill as far as I am concerned. Besides, it's not like gas cost money. I just put my piece of plastic in the slot and don't worry about what shows up on the cc statement. :laughing

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I might get 120 on my 2007-efi wideglide before fuel up
3.8 or so gallons
after 120 miles I'm ready to stretch my legs anyway
besides I work in oil and gas and the more I buy the better lol
lots of folks here get way better mileage then me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody , I filed it up last night by the house and it says I have 197 miles which on the gauge it says r197 . So I will keep a eye on it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol yes I fill it up at ride my bike also . But I was just a little confused with the specs and all being 4.7 and the most the tank will tank has been 2.8 so maybe the gauge is off i assume

·
Registered
556 Posts
My 2014 Dyna Low with 4.7 gallon tank is what it is. I put 4.2 gal. in it after 197 miles on the trip. My Light came on at about 144 miles.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a 4.8 gal tank on my EFI Deuce. Last Sunday 3 of us went for a day long ride.
First gas stop at 132 miles took 2.27 gal
Second gas stop at 135 miles took 2.07 gal.
Fuel gauge both times was on 1/4 tank.
I have gone 160 miles before. When I stopped for gas the gauge was dead on red empty.
As I recall it took about 3/4 of a gallon.

Unfortunately for me, the 3 guys that I normally ride with all have big touring bikes with
the 6 gallon tanks so they get 200+ miles per tank. They use me as the indicator for
p breaks and re-hydration.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts