Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 02 carb. W/G has a 5.2 gallon tank with a 1.1 gallon reserve . Running Shell mid-grade 89 octane I have gone 206 miles before turning on the reserve , mind you that's some easy riding 45-60 mph cruising on back country roads while enjoying the scenery & smelling the roses ! I usually average 47-48 normal around town getting on it & showin off , blippin the throttle and rackin the straight drag pipes . LOL !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 street Bob and I've hit close to 200 miles quite a few times and range according to the bike averages between 209 and 214 regularly. But it is stock for the moment and with my daughter riding with me quite often and no backrest to keep her planted I usually take it easy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
1,442 Posts
My wife rides a 2016 Forty-Eight. The tank holds 2.1 gallons of gas (we knew this when making the purchase). On road trips, I carry a gas can specifically made for the saddlebag on my 2016 Ultra Limited. I've never had to use it, but it's nice "insurance" to have just in case. We can get about 100 miles out of a tank of gas on the Forty-Eight. The gas tank ran about $30 and I believe it is made by Reda. I've not had any trouble with it leaking or even smelling gasoline fumes.

Attachments

Reactions: Dyna FXD and Kainam

·
Registered
2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
1,442 Posts
Has a spout too . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
the tank is a 4.7 gal. I have filled the bike 4 times and the most I have gotten into the tank is 2.8 gals. But so far I have only gotten 130 miles out of a tank.
It sounds like you have answered your own question. You are refilling before your tank is empty. Keep riding. From these figures you know you won't run out. Is the low fuel light on when you refuel?

Contrary to what others have said I find my fuel gauge to be accurate. I rode to Alaska this summer and I brought spare gas with me. About 5 times I had to use it. Some times, such as the Dalton Highway the gas stations were farther apart than my range. I rode until my trip meter said I had 5 miles to go.
When I have less than 10 miles of range my trip meter says "LO" instead of the mileage till I'm out. I then use my tripmeter to see when I would run out. Once in Canada I went 2 miles further than my trip meter said I could go. That time I put 5.6 gallons into my 5.5 gallon tank. ( I guess I really topped it off)
Having extra gas with me meant I didn't worry about being stranded.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello every one ,

I just picked up a 2015 street bob and looking at the specs it seems the tank is a 4.7 gal. I have filled the bike 4 times and the most I have gotten into the tank is 2.8 gals. But so far I have only gotten 130 miles out of a tank. I have 2016 vstrom also that is 5.3 gal tank and I can go 200 miles easy to 230 miles before fill up . So has any one else had this issue with not being able to fill the tank to at least 3.5 or 4 gals of gas ?. Also owners who own a street bob or a bike with similar tank size . What kind of fuel mileage are you getting and how far can you travel on one tank before you have to fill up. Thanks
I have a 2021 Street Bob, I'm getting 44 MPG and 150-160 miles per tank it has a, 3.7 gallon gas tank and I push it until the LO light comes on and replaces the R indictor. I remedy my problem by replacing with a 5.0 gallon tank from a 2020 Softair Slim fits perfectly. Moved the fuel pump and gas tank float assembly over.The only concern I have is the fuel gauge isn't accurate because after filling up the RANGE-172 which I know is not correct..I'm not sure where the problem exactly, Is it in the computer program that doesn't recognize the larger tank, or is it the float assembly I'm more inclined to believe it's in the float assembly. One thing for sure is the new tank is GREAT. Hope this helps --Venturahwy101

·
Super Moderator
11,628 Posts
The only concern I have is the fuel gauge isn't accurate because after filling up the RANGE-172 which I know is not correct..I'm not sure where the problem exactly, Is it in the computer program that doesn't recognize the larger tank, or is it the float assembly I'm more inclined to believe it's in the float assembly.
Tank volume is likely your issue.

The OP of this tread has been long gone 4+ years ago.

Welcome to the forum, hope ya stay longer than he did!!

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
133 Posts
On the 08 Sporty the red light would come on with 1 gallon left of the 4.5, I shut it off. Only go by the trip meter.
210-220 per tank all the time.
The 2020 Silm's 6 gallon tank gets 200 on a good tank and averages 180 most of the time. It as a fuel gauge, never use it. Have it set on tachometer. When I did watch it, it would go down to 10 miles left and say low. Worthless.
Even on low, I still had a half gallon left.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts