Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 03 sportster anniversary edition with a trike kit, and was wanting to know what is the largest fuel tank that I can get that will fit without a bunch of changes. I believe the tank is original but not sure, would like to go to the biggest tank that I can. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Largest one that comes stock is 4.5 gal, stock on Sportster Custom

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
you can get a tank off a carbed softail with little to no trouble at all. You just have to drill and tap and small hole in the backbone for the rear tank anchor screw. The tank you have is the stock 3.3 "King" tank. Due to the location of your speedometer, any tank change may mean that you need to re-locate in order to provide clearance.

I have an 02 sportster (same setup with the tank as yours) I am putting a tank from a 2001 Heritage Softail on mine. I will be making a bracket in order to fit my stock speedometer in the dash and then drill and tap for the rear anchor screw and I'm set.

The 4.5 Sportster tanks will work and should give enough clearance to not need to move the speedometer but you have to make sure to get one from a 2004-2006 model. They didn't make that tank earlier than 2004 and if you buy 2007 or newer, it will be fuel injected; your bike is carbed.

You have plenty of options but it depends on what you want to do. You can also get a bare metal tank from jpcycles or any other aftermarket bike shop and have painted but that requires more work.

I would imagine you're getting around 30-40 mpg with the trike setup and with the 3.3 gal tank, that gives you an average of 100 miles per tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 02 sportytex, info was a great help. I am new to motorcycling and just thought a larger tank would be better.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Larger tank is only better of you need/want more than 100 miles per tank or if you want it to allow the bike to look different. Have you tested the miles per gallon with the trike setup? If not, I would suggest that you get that average. For me, I like stopping every hour to stretch my legs so having more than 100 for me is not a necessity.

I think having a softail tank on that setup would greatly enhance the look of the bike but that's up to you to make that call.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts