Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a full face helmet and I don't know which brand is good to go with I know DOT approved is what I want but what are good helmet company's? And are the Harley full face helmets any good

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
one of my helmets is the Harley modular full face helmet. I love it for my full face needs. Very versatle and well made. about 250.00

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The H-D helmets are made by another maker and just stamped H-D. HJC makes many of them. You can usually get the same helmet for less if you don't want the H-D stamp on it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Tried on the Harley modular during MSF class last week. Seemed comfortable and decent construction but not nearly as comfortable or well made as A Shoei Multitech.

I kind of felt the Harley modular fit /finish seemed much closer to a cheap HJC, Speed and Strength or Bilt helmet. I suspect it's going to be petty noisy, but if you normally wear ear protection that might be fine for you at half the cost of a higher quality Shoei. (I'm not talking quality of protection, both are DOT rated)

If you don't wear supplemental hearing protection wind noise at highway speed might be a factor for you.

·
Banned
612 Posts
Posted this once before and it still holds true...old Bell Helmet ad..." If you have a $10. head , wear a $10. helmet "...look around , do your homework and buy what makes you comfortable safety-wise . :think

·
Banned
1,604 Posts
Other than racers , the only reason to wear a full face helmet is if you are trying to hide your identity.

Or yer really UGLY!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like half helmits but i prefer full face helmits. I don't race. I am ugly. I hate supplimental hearing protection so my helmit is important for that.

Cheap full face helmits have chitty ventilation and fog up or get hot. Buy a better than average for the better designed ventilation. That is the only thing beside noise that cheap helmits have not mastered.

Shoei is my preferred everyday. My cheap is a scorpion transformer looking modular helmit. I use when I'm washing shoei.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Nolan.

·
812 Posts
Posted this once before and it still holds true...old Bell Helmet ad..." If you have a $10. head , wear a $10. helmet "...look around , do your homework and buy what makes you comfortable safety-wise . :think
X-2. I'll only add that trying helmets on is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
Other than racers , the only reason to wear a full face helmet is if you are trying to hide your identity.

Or yer really UGLY!
Full face work better than half helmets etc when it's cold out, less wind turbulence as well for long distance riding.

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
I'm looking at buying a full face helmet and I don't know which brand is good to go with I know DOT approved is what I want but what are good helmet company's? And are the Harley full face helmets any good

No such thing as "DOT approved", only DOT certification.

DOT certification doesn't hold much meaning.... If you're looking for a good helmet, look for SNELL (M2010) approval.

DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.
Snell Foundation - Motorcycle Standards Comparison Snell vs DOT

Snell – The Snell Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit, independent organisation established in 1957 and is named after William “Pete” Snell, a famous racing car driver who was tragically killed in 1956 when a helmet failed to protect his head during an accident. The Snell M2005 is the “old standard” and favours a more shock-resistant helmet, the M2010 is the new, more shock-absorbent standard. The Snell M2005 test allows an impact-shock of up to 300g’s, a 250 to 300g impact would result in a critical head injury. The M2010 standard allows a maximum of 275g’s (the Snell anvil is a steel ball shaped rather like a tennis ball, they also test with flat and “kerb” shaped anvils). The Snell M2005 standard is widely believed to be too “hard”, the newer M2010 is set to replace it completely in 2013, the M2010 standard favours more impact-absorbent helmets and a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn’t guaranteed). Snell certified helmets are allowed by the AMA for professional motorcycle racing however the M2005 standard will no longer be permitted after 2011.
Helmet Standards Throwdown - Snell vs DOT vs ECE R22-05

·
Registered
174 Posts
My arai was my favorite full face. It was a bit pricy, but had vents in the shield, little road noise, light weight, and seemed to have less buffeting. My buddy always wore shoei, and loved the shield release for it, it's a big deal to be able to switch from tinted to clear shield. Suomy had a special tool you needed for it, otherwise it was a nice helmet as well. Scorpion makes one with a flip down shield inside so it does both clear and tint without swapping anything, but it was heavier. As its been said, it's about function and comfort...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just ordered the modular HJC Sy-max lll. It's replacing the Sy-max ll I've worn for years. Great helmet not too expensive, comfortable, lightweight (as far as modulars go), well vented, and has flip down sun visor built into it. Got a great price from ridersdiscount.com , great people & customer service, and you get the "forum-member discount"

·
Registered
36,972 Posts
Just ordered the modular HJC Sy-max lll. It's replacing the Sy-max ll I've worn for years. Great helmet not too expensive, comfortable, lightweight (as far as modulars go), well vented, and has flip down sun visor built into it. Got a great price from ridersdiscount.com , great people & customer service, and you get the "forum-member discount"
I bought my Shoei from them. Good prices! :thumb

·
IAFF local 845
1,909 Posts
I have a Shoei Multitech that I wear in the winter. I like it but my big nose just barely touches the breath deflector sometimes... which is a little irritating. Other than that it's a great helmet for me. Very comfy and pretty quiet. It's too hot in the summer though. I wear small goggles and a 1/2 helmet in the summer. I wish I could wear the Multitech all the time because I feel a lot more protected in it but it just too dang hot.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts