Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2017 Fatboy for the wife that had a huge dent in the tank from another bike falling into it. We ordered a paint matched replacement and waited for it to arrive. The dealership got the tank in and replaced it but said Harley required a replacement gas cap as changes had been made to the filler neck on the new tanks. We opted to go with the Willie G Skulls cap and fuel gauge instead of the stock cap as it's the running theme on her bike. Since we brought it home we have had very strong gas fumes in the garage for 2 days now. I find no obvious source of a leak anywhere, all is dry but the fumes persist and I am more than concerned for sure. Anyone else experience this situation? I bought and added an additional O-Ring on the gas cap in an attempt to help it seal better to no avail with respects to the fumes. Any thoughts or solutions out there?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wondering if the new gas cap is the problem . . . is it an O.E.M. gas cap or aftermarket? I'd be curious what an O.E.M. cap would do with the new filler neck design. Also, I would think the dealership work would be under warranty for a month or two. Maybe have them look at it again and make sure all the lines (e.g. vent line) was installed correctly. Just my first thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Willie G Skulls cap is an Official HD part. The bike will certainly go back to the stealership if I cannot get the tank to seal. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Check the overflow hose that goes from the filler neck, down the backbone to a small canister is hooked up. Removing the tank console is probably required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts