Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Fatboy died on me, check lamp not lighting up, motor cranks over but will not run.
Discovered the Assy Fuse blown, traced problem back to Indicator Module.
I have disconnected all the harness plugin connectors on the bike, just the three wires to ignition switch connected, everything else disconnected but fuse still blowing!
I've checked the downstream side of the wiring from the module and find no wires going to ground.
I'm trying to figure out if a faulty Indicator Module can result in the Check Lamp not lighting up, the the motor not to fire up and the fuse blowing each time I turn on the ignition?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Proud Infidel
2,619 Posts
A volt/ohm meter will REALLY help trouble shooting and save on fuses.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Check battery static volts. Post exact measurement back here.
A fully charged battery will measure 12.8 volts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Check battery static volts. Post exact measurement back here.
A fully charged battery will measure 12.8 volts.
Static reading is 12.45 volts

Furthermore, I traced the fault to the TURN SIGNAL MODULE.
Each time I connect 30B to the TSM the fuse pops.
I opened up 30B and removed the individual wires then plugged wire 1 (BK) and 2 (O/W) into the module and the fuse popped!
Thinking that as BK is a ground wire and O/W being a power supply it suggests to me that the TSM is faulty, would you agree?
Next step, in my opinion, is to replace the TSM however the problem is a new one is not available. HD is South Africa tell me the TSM is no longer available (discontinued)
So I'm considering searching States side for a unit. Being on the other side of the world presents a challenge.
Any more help would be welcome.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
OR the O/W wire is shorted to ground. Disconnect the battery and test the O/W wire with a meter. It should read open circuit. Remove accy. fuse for the test.
Also 12.45v is a discharged battery.
I would try to find a friend that'll let ya try their TSM in your bike. You'll need to find a similar model because I think your TSM installs sideways, the vertical mount won't work.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Also you can substitute the 68540-96 U.S. module for your HDI unit. $117.81 from NewCastle H-D. They show one in stock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OR the O/W wire is shorted to ground. Disconnect the battery and test the O/W wire with a meter. It should read open circuit. Remove accy. fuse for the test.
Also 12.45v is a discharged battery.
I would try to find a friend that'll let ya try their TSM in your bike. You'll need to find a similar model because I think your TSM installs sideways, the vertical mount won't work.
Thank you Sir, I'll do as you suggest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also you can substitute the 68540-96 U.S. module for your HDI unit. $117.81 from NewCastle H-D. They show one in stock.
Thank you Sir,
Sadly I have no access to anyone who will loan a unit. I'll go for the purchase option.
No one locally has a used one either. Any outfits you could recommend for a used unit, someone who sells used spares perhaps?
Appreciate your assistance.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
You now have two threads going to find a TSM for your bike. You want a used TSM, that's not smart !
First of all you didn't properly test to see if your TSM is bad. TSMs do not have a high failure rate.
The available part number I gave you will replace your HDI TSM. NewCastle H-D has one in stock, $117.00.
BUT if you order it and install it and it doesn't solve your issue you now own that TSM.
I'm just trying to help buddy !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You now have two threads going to find a TSM for your bike. You want a used TSM, that's not smart !
First of all you didn't properly test to see if your TSM is bad. TSMs do not have a high failure rate.
The available part number I gave you will replace your HDI TSM. NewCastle H-D has one in stock, $117.00.
BUT if you order it and install it and it doesn't solve your issue you now own that TSM.
I'm just trying to help buddy !
I appreciate your help very much indeed.
I have conducted the test you advised, with fuse removed and the O/W is not going to ground.
I dont have access to a another TSM, either from the SA dealers, bike breakers or buddies with similar age bikes.
I don't know how else to check the TSM which is why I'm thinking the best thing to do is replace it.
I take your point about purchasing a used TSM, it's risky!
Unsure what to do next!

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
I appreciate your help very much indeed.
I have conducted the test you advised, with fuse removed and the O/W is not going to ground.
I dont have access to a another TSM, either from the SA dealers, bike breakers or buddies with similar age bikes.
I don't know how else to check the TSM which is why I'm thinking the best thing to do is replace it.
I take your point about purchasing a used TSM, it's risky!
Unsure what to do next!

Your local H-D dealer can get you the U.S. module on a parts transfer, cheaper than you ordering from the U.S. dealer. Either way if you buy the new TSM and it doesn't work or wasn't the problem you probably won't be able to return it.
Did you check for codes yet ? The procedure is a
sticky in the electrical section, look for DTCs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your local H-D dealer can get you the U.S. module on a parts transfer, cheaper than you ordering from the U.S. dealer. Either way if you buy the new TSM and it doesn't work or wasn't the problem you probably won't be able to return it.
Did you check for codes yet ? The procedure is a
sticky in the electrical section, look for DTCs.
I'll check under DTC's and revert.
Thank you.

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
When you check the DTCs have that blown fuse in place so the system detects it.
IMO, I think the TSM isn't the problem. It's very rare that the TSM fails.
The BAS module sits next to the TSM on the rear fender, it's not integrated into the TSM like the later Harleys are.
FYI, the BAS is just a mechanical tip over switch that opens the ignition circuit so the engine shuts down if it senses the bike has leaned over to far or fallen down ! To reset the BAS the bike gets lifted upright and the ignition needs to be off then on again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you check the DTCs have that blown fuse in place so the system detects it.
IMO, I think the TSM isn't the problem. It's very rare that the TSM fails.
The BAS module sits next to the TSM on the rear fender, it's not integrated into the TSM like the later Harleys are.
FYI, the BAS is just a mechanical tip over switch that opens the ignition circuit so the engine shuts down if it senses the bike has leaned over to far or fallen down ! To reset the BAS the bike gets lifted upright and the ignition needs to be off then on again.
I'll check the DTC''s at the next opportunity, with blown fuse in place, as you suggest and revert.
I discovered that the Engine Check Lamp is not faulty, just not working because it was not grounding thru the Ignition Module as intended. Check Lamp works just fine if grounded directly to the chassis, so it seems that no power is reaching ignition module.
I picked up that the BAS is not supplying power to the Ignition Module, going to double check that next and revert.
Thanks for your help

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Simple test to verify the BAS is functioning. Unplug the harness connector and check continuity across the switch contacts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simple test to verify the BAS is functioning. Unplug the harness connector and check continuity across the switch contacts.
I unplugged the BAS, no continuity!
Removed the BAS, shook it around a bit, used a magnet as well, could hear and feel the coin (or whatever is inside) moving up and down, still no continuity so I cut the plug off and soldered the two wires together so now I have power to the ignition module. Taped off the ground wire (BK)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried performing the DTC's but I'm sure I screwed up! I did not realize till later that if you hold the speedo reset button for too long it clears any fault codes. So when I went back again to check as you told me to there were no fault codes (if there were to start of with) :mad:
So at this time I still have no Engine Check Lamp coming on when I switch on the ignition.
I'm inclined to purchase the TSM from the US as you suggested but as you say I could end up with a part I don't really need to replace which I will be unable to return. Therefore I will hold off purchasing for now.
I have connected the live and ground wires only to the TSM (disconnected the rest) and the fuse still blew when I switched on the ignition, am I correct in assuming that this suggests the unit is burnt out, are there any other tests you would recommend please?

·
Retired citizen
22,299 Posts
Let me re-read this thread to see if I have a good grip on this problem. There was no continuity at the BAS so you cut the connector off and spliced the wires bypassing the BAS then you had ignition, correct ? The engine starts now ???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Let me re-read this thread to see if I have a good grip on this problem. There was no continuity at the BAS so you cut the connector off and spliced the wires bypassing the BAS then you had ignition, correct ? The engine starts now ???
Solved one problem, replaced the faulty ignition module, bike runs now. Got my hands on a Factory Manual for my bike model and with your earlier input I managed to get sorted out, thank you!
Replaced the BAS, I diagnosed that incorrectly, all good now.

Still have a burnt out Turn Signal Module issue, so because HD have discontinued this item and because I cannot lay my hands on a used TSM in SA, I have decided to build my own turn signal setup.
I'll post this under a new topic and seek help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts