Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
First post here.

I just traded my 11 883L for a 09 FXD. Bought from dealer. It is my first experience with the Dyna so not familiar with all the engine quirks-vibs etc. First off I notice that the engine moves quite a bit while idling... My sporty did not seem to move that much. Secondly and more concerning is when I start the Dyna there is a single knock (quite loud) just as it fires. It is hard to determine where it is coming from as the engine noise kinda covers it and it only knocks once. Is this a normal thing with the 96 or should I take it back in to dealer? Bike has about 13k (miles) I was assured the bike had a full mechanical before it was put on the floor. I will also add that it seems to run fine at speed.
Any insight would be much appreciated!

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
I would definitely take it back before they say they won't honor any kind of "implied warranty" that you might have had with them. Dynas and Touring will shake more than sporties because that's just how the motors are. Sportsters weren't even rubber mounted until 06 because they didn't really need it. Those little evos were always pretty well balanced. Dynas on the other hand use B motors that aren't counterbalanced so they have to be rubber mounted. You have a larger bore and stroke with the Dyna motor so it's going to shake more inside the frame. Nothing to be concerned about there. As for the knock, I couldn't say what it might be other than a bad motor mount maybe. If you can't tell exactly where it's coming from then it's going to be hard for anyone here to troubleshoot. I've heard many big twins kick on start up but I can't say that's what yours is doing for sure. My 2011 Wide Glide never made a noise like that.

-Rohan

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Could be the compensator along with the starter engaging. Stock comps on 09's were to small to handle the 96 motor. Mine banged, knocked at startup till I put in SE Compensator.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As Softail Billy says...The compensator can cause a knock on start up like you are experiencing and it has been a known problem area for HD for a while.
It's definitely worth getting your dealer to confirm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts