Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents, (and ladies)

I have been told more than a few times that people are surprised how quiet my stock FXDB pipes are and I unfortunately have to agree. I was checking out Vance and Hines and I noticed serious price jumps on their products. For example their short shots are close to $400 less than their big radius pipe. Can someone please enlighten me is to why?
I'm looking to purchase new pipes for my bike before the season ends or at the start of the new one. I would love some input on what is good in terms of sound and performance. Leaning more towards performance. What is the benefit of a 2 into 1 as opposed to staggered?

Anyway if I was to get new pipes what other upgrades are essential in terms of getting my bike dynoed etc etc.. Please forgive my ignorance on the matter any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
I added V&H slash cut slipons, air cleaner and flashed with FP3. Very easy mods and works very well. BUT I hate the sound of the pipes and have a Rush 2 into 1 pipe ordered. Tune took about 5 min with the FP3 and the bike runs very well and much cooler just don't like the sound. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I put the 3" slash cut slip ons on my 2013 FXDC Superglide. I've done nothing else to it mechanically, and I have no problems with it. It does have a bit of pop to it, and it does get annoying. It does sound good to me unless I down shift at low speed. I've been pondering just throwing XIEDS on it as it worked great for buddy with the same issue. The only thing that holds me back is actually doing more for performance.

I bought my bike new when I had no other payments then this spring a hail storm totaled my truck when I wasn't planning on having anymore payments. The 2014 F150 put a dent in the budget.

In any case I like mine for what it is. Just need tuned

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put the 3" slash cut slip ons on my 2013 FXDC Superglide. I've done nothing else to it mechanically, and I have no problems with it. It does have a bit of pop to it, and it does get annoying. It does sound good to me unless I down shift at low speed. I've been pondering just throwing XIEDS on it as it worked great for buddy with the same issue. The only thing that holds me back is actually doing more for performance.

I bought my bike new when I had no other payments then this spring a hail storm totaled my truck when I wasn't planning on having anymore payments. The 2014 F150 put a dent in the budget.

Try a FP3 if your only planning pipes and air. It will take care of the decell popping. Takes about five min to tune start to finish. I was running a V&H Pro pipe on my RK and guess I just got used to the tone of a 2 into 1 pipe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also noticed how quiet my stock pipes were...virtually silent it seems, and when looking for a replacement I found the Big Radius ones...the price seems incredibly high when compared to other items they sell.

Could be a number of reasons though...how they price these things is anyones guess

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
2 -1 will give you better performance as long as it is correctly designed. It will of course do better if it is getting more air and fuel.

That said on my Super Glide Custom I simply added Rush Slip-ons and it sounded and ran much better. I later added a heavy breather and a stage one flash and it ran much better.

·
Registered
12,153 Posts

Have 3" slip-ons with Xieds on my 09 FXSTC. Works fine, reduced engine oil temp and surging riding in town traffic. Good $100 investment. You can also sell them later if you upgrade to tuner.

·
Registered
577 Posts
2 into 1 is definitely a more performance oriented pipe but to obtain optimum results, a heavy breather is the bare minimum you need, and the more you can add (cams, heads/headwork, high compression pistons, etc.) the more 'result' you will receive. Thunderheader, Bassani, Supertrapp, and others make good units. I spent countless hours researching 2 into 1 systems and I found the Thunderheader, which is all and ONLY about performance, consistently outperformed other systems but some will disagree. Try to hit some bike nights and check around. Get what YOU like.... I included a photo of my own bike so you can see what the Thunderheader looks like. Good luck...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts