Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little over 1000 miles on my 2015 Low Rider. Since my first couple of rides I have noticed what I will describe as a whirring noise coming from the mid to rear area of the bike. It sounds like a rubbing of some sort, the same type of sound made by a bicycle tire that's not aligned. I do not hear it when the bike is cold, and it is most noticeable when I am coasting, or slowing. There is no felt vibration or any obvious signs of wear on anything. I took it to my mechanic for the 1k service and he noticed the noise, coasting with the engine off. He checked the chain and the rear axle and all was fine. He's been working on Harleys for 54 years and was puzzled. Any of you wizards have ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My Low Rider is a 2014 and I think I have the same noise. And hear it the way you do under the same conditions. What I think it is the muffler where it joins the header pipes at the 2 into 1 junction. The air flow from two pipes to one and the way the pipes connect together. I use to hear that same sound on a an old Kawasaki 2 cycle 3 cylinder 500 cc bike. The bell housing type air cleaner perpetuated that same kind of sound. To me it sounds like air rushing through a hollow thin metal housing.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
With my 2014 FXDL no such issues now ... in the start was the belt, than the brakes (abs) at the rear disc ... but we manage to repar it ...

Installing the Bassani Road Rage II Mega Power with short muffler it seems all OK with in 3k miles ...

Maybe you shod wisit some othe deale and ask them if they know something ...

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm kind of thinking now that the howling type noise is not coming from the muffler link. I think it is either noise coming off the front tire rim. It is barely there at crawl speed but then increases to a point at 40 mph and up. Or it noise coming over and around the windshield. I don't know.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
It could be tire tread hum. When there is no traffic, try weaving in your lane and see if it lessens.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It could be tire tread hum. When there is no traffic, try weaving in your lane and see if it lessens.
That is a good thought. But it sounds more like wind whistling through hollow metal and that is why I first suggested where the header meets the exhaust pipe. A friend of mine just suggest to turn up the radio and we wouldn't hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts