Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, apologies I’m new to this.

I own a 2020 Low rider s (from the U.K.) I have ordered an Arlen ness monster sucker which I plan to fit myself. Just after some advise regarding tuning.
Obviously my bike comes with an upgraded air cleaner as standard, can I Leave the tuning as it is?
Im already running Vance and Hines short shots.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorta thinking you should probably want to tune it, but regardless, you’ll need to tune it after fiddling w/ the intake. The conundrum you might now face is if you’ll void the warranty using something besides SE Pro Street Tuner.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Adding a better flowing filter won't put noticeably more air in the engine than the current cam & EPA tune allows. A good tune on an otherwise stock engine helps noticeably. My opinion.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
Since you already have the exhaust freed up, after an intake change the bike will need a tuner to keep it from running lean. Unfortunately you will indeed void the warranty if you use anything other than the SE tuner. I have never seen a company try so hard to get out of the warranty as HD does, but that is just the way it is. The Dynojet Powervision is a better tuner and can adapt to any and all changes you make to the bike in the future, and you only have to buy it once. The autotune feature can make a tune tailored to your configuration and riding 'style' and can be adjusted at any time. My 103 went from a kitten to roaring lion with that thing. I recommend it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Since you already have the exhaust freed up, after an intake change the bike will need a tuner to keep it from running lean. unfortunately you will indeed void the warranty if you use anything other than the SE tuner. I have never seen a company try so hard to get out of the warranty as HD does, but that is just the way it is. The Dynojet Powervision is a better tuner and can adapt to any and all changes you make to the bike in the future, and you only have to buy it once. The autotune feature can make a tune tailored to your configuration and riding 'style' and can be adjusted at any time. My 103 went from a kitten to roaring lion with that thing. I recommend it.
They were sued for millions by the EPA over their older tuners.

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
They were sued for millions by the EPA over their older tuners.
Yes they were. But that doesn't explain why using a different tuner will void the warranty on an oil pump failure, for example. They were sued because they installed non-EPA compliant components at the factory instead of just selling the customer the parts and having him install them. Many other manufacturers do not throw the warranty out the window because of aftermarket parts. To me, anyway, it's just crazy. These bikes are expensive and if I want my engine to have the 'proper' amount of power I should be able to do so without fear of HD saying no to normal claims that would have happened no matter what tuner I used. If you raised the rev limiter so an unsafe level and blew it up, well, that I can understand but denying all claims is just BS. Just my opinion.

·
Retired citizen
24,071 Posts
IMO the ECM will adjust using the O2 sensor signals. The high flow exhaust and AC don't add a huge amount of extra oxygen. Oxygen is only about 20% of air, so if the exhaust and AC give a 20% boost in air flow only 1% of that is oxygen.
OK you math geeks check my numbers ... and my hypothesis.

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
The problem is the stock ECU will not add all the fuel that the narrow band sensors are telling it that is needed. The stock fuel map is very limited on what it can do. A new map with all the new factors in mind can do it.

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
JLR, I didn't say that correctly about the EPA tuner stuff. It was because HD made, sold and installed the tuner that caused them their legal woes. Dynojet, and other tuner manufacturers, do not make bikes.

·
Retired citizen
24,071 Posts
The stock ECM is more flexible than that, it can make AFR adjustments from sea level up beyond 5000 feet without a remapping.

Reactions: Breeze3at

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Do the wide band conversion. Current and future tuning issues solved.

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
The ECU can make adjustments in that range, it can't make enough of an adjustment. It will still be too lean. Put bigger cams in and raise compression and the issue becomes even more exasperated. Fuel maps have a base target AFR in a given rpm and throttle % opening. The O2 sensors help to keep it in that range in closed loop operation, but they are limited in the stock format. Wide band sensors do a very good job at helping better than the stock narrow band ones. If the stock map was good enough we wouldn't need other tunes and tuners. Remember that the stock map is for EPA compliance and not engine friendly at all. It's just like making those same changes to a carbed engine but not rejetting it. Not good.

Reactions: Kainam
1 - 12 of 12 Posts