Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Softail Standard FXSTI Fuel Injected.

My gas gauge always reads full tank. Seems more like an electrical issue than mechanical.
Suggestions on what to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
36,731 Posts
Check the float/potentiometer unit.

Troubleshooting procedure/resistance values in the Service Manual - Electrical Diagrams.

·
Mississippi Cajun
23,968 Posts
Agree...sounds like stuck float.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Look on the bright side . . . you'll never have to fill the tank and can ride forever!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the same thing happen with my 2015 Street Glide Special. I was on the interstate and actually looking at my gauge when it suddenly went from 3/4 tank to full. I took it to my mechanic and he checked the sending unit which appeared to be ok, so he ordered a new gauge. When the new gauge came in, he plugged it in and started going through the calibration procedure. When it got down to about half tank, he heard an electrical pop sound and the new gauge went to full. He called the company he got the new gauge from and talked to an engineer who said the sending units can have a short along the travel of the potentiometer and when the float gets to that point, it will short out the gauge. At that point the gauge is shot. My mechanic started ohming out the wiring and found a wire shorted out between the sending unit and the computer. Once that was fixed, the sending unit and the gauge had to be replaced. they had both shorted out. He also found that the shorted wire changed colors under the fuel tank. Harley had evidently run out of that color wire and just spliced in something else under the tank. I would guess that your gauge is shot. Ohm everything out real good before putting another gauge in though.

·
Proud Infidel
2,517 Posts
And that folks is why some of us don’t use the gas gage, we use the odometer.

I just use my Azzometer. When it gets sore it's time to stop for gas...

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk
I use a combination. Which ever says I need to stop first.

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Good chance the ground connection is bad for the sending unit. Have you had the sender out of the take, it could be stuck in the full position. Ever replaced the pump or filter? Sometimes the sender gets bent or hangs when removed and replaced.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh, PETER,
this is a great bunch of people that like to have fun and rib newbs. I get you want help but those are some funny responses. You get defensive and I bet you don't get much help. You roll with it and somebody way smarter than me will have a solution for you, like bobf just offered up.
relax and enjoy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good chance the ground connection is bad for the sending unit. Have you had the sender out of the take, it could be stuck in the full position. Ever replaced the pump or filter? Sometimes the sender gets bent or hangs when removed and replaced.
Thanks BobF.
I did not have the sending unit out, but I did have to disconnect the tank for some maintenance. Could be a bad ground as you mentioned. I checked it over a few times, but will check again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, PETER,
this is a great bunch of people that like to have fun and rib newbs. I get you want help but those are some funny responses. You get defensive and I bet you don't get much help. You roll with it and somebody way smarter than me will have a solution for you, like bobf just offered up.
relax and enjoy
Thanks Loubob, Consider me initiated!
I'll take the good with the bad.
Oh! Peter

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks Loubob, Consider me initiated!
I'll take the good with the bad.
Oh! Peter
There you go! You will get a lot of good help and laughs here. I hope someone can help you figure your fuel indication problem out. I hate stuff not working too

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Tips for improving gas mileage

Keep tires inflated correctly - +2%
Clean air filter - +3%
Get rid of unnecessary weight - +1%
New spark plugs - +3%
Easy acceleration - +4%
Follow speed limits - +4%

With the way your gage works, you will have to stop every 50 miles to take gas out!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dunno what bike, but my 98 evo has spade connectors on my guages. Had fuel and oil pressure guages acting up. Turned on bike and did wiggle test on connectors till I found the offending ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts