Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP PLEASE!!! Hello, I have a 2000 HD. Sportster 1200 with 13k miles on it. I put drag pipes on it and did not jet the carb so it bent a pushrod when I shut the bike off from litterly putting in a car dealership parking lot. I did a valve job on it and all new gaskets. I probably should have put piston rigs on it but I was short on cash so I didn't. needless to say I'm getting gas in my oil but not while it's sitting, it's only while it's running.
I checked my VOES. Switch and it's working as it should and I'm not overflowing fuel out of my overflow and I always turn my gas off when I'm not riding. The bike is running rich because it blows black smoke and my plugs trunk black. I've replaced the plugs, wires, and adjusted the needle screw so it's ideling the best I can get it to but it's still running rich. It wants to stumble when you goose it from a idle which was the reason I started messing with the carb in the first place. Once the rpm's are up a bit it won't stumble if you rev it up a little, it actually runs normal. It's got a brand-new carb on it so everything's new and the jet is a 170 which is stock. I went for a ride once I thought it was tuned and by the time I got back from a 6 mile ride my oil tank was completely full and it even started ticking because the oil was thinking out with fuel. it's brand-new synthetic oil and it now stinks like fuel so I have yet to change it. The only thing I can think of is my float is out of adjustment or it's not sending spark as it should so it's not burning all the fuel I'm putting into the cylinders. Can anyone shed some light on this and give me an idea on what's going on here so I don't blow up my Harley please? Someone plz. Help me and thank you in advance. Be safe out there and God bless.

·
Registered
43,153 Posts
If gas is getting in your oil, it's the piston rings.

Thats the only thing keeping the 2 separate besides the piston itself.

Sometimes cheaping out ends up costing more in the end.

Reactions: Gorillathehun

·
Registered
654 Posts
Gotta disagree with Kianam. If he overfilled his oil tank with fuel in just 6 miles of riding the damn engine would have hydro locked before filling the oil tank. Maybe he missed that.

I'm thinking that you assembled the carb float bowl incorrectly, float level is too high or needle valve or seat is leaking. Pull the carb away from the manifold and turn on the fuel. If fuel is running out of the gap there is your problem.

Sent from the secret underground bunker

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
I've got a '02 Springer in my shop now for this very reason, oil tank overfilled with engine oil and fuel. Two things happened at the same time to cause the problem, the float needle was hanging up and the vacuum petcock diaphragm failed to stop fuel flow with the engine off. A redundancy system failure ! Also it only happened if the petcock was left on when parking the bike. I have the habit of always turning petcocks off regardless what kind of petcock is installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts