Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 electraglide with a cv carb that is throwing gas all over through the carb out of the air cleaner and all over the side of the bike. It usually happens at highway speeds. I changed carbs to a Mikuni thinking it was a carb issue but it still does it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
let me ask you, is your carburetor CLEAN? if you have dirt in the carb, it will usually overflow out the overflow drain and do what you're describing, so clean the carb bowl, remove everythign and eliminate ALL TRACES of dirt. from experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the responses, regarding a tank issue, do you mean vacuum,or fuel filter, etc and what do I have to do? The carb is not dirty and the fuel lines are not leaking. Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to belabor this but the gas is coming out of the carb, into the air cleaner and out all over the right side of the bike. If you take the air cleaner box off, gas is in the air cleaner and puddled in the bottom of the box. Dave K

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to let everyone know. I finally found out what was wrong! A leak down test was done and the front cylinder was 235 and the rear 195. The cam timing was off one tooth, even though the bike performed great. The cam timing was corrected and the gas out the carb stopped.

·
Registered
39,498 Posts
Good deal, glad you got it fixed!

·
blk bassani thunder
1,248 Posts
Quite interesting. I will keep these in mind if any signs of this happens to anyone in the family on their bikes.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Question for dkapteyn... Was this happenning all the time or only at highway speed? Maybe going up hill under load? Just wondering. I get gas out the carb too but it is usually when I'm cranking it up hill under load ("Lovie" on the back with luggage).

·
Registered
7 Posts
that happened with my friends suzuki RE-5 when we ported it same effect as a timing change but im surprised the engine ran fine with it like that. It really should have been quite noticable you can usually feel an uneven air movement with your hand at the carb thats a good indicator for anyone that has this issue later on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bike ran perfect other than the gas from carb and runs about the same after the correction. The gas was more pronounced at highway speeds but still had some at slower speeds. i think because of the speed I noticed it more since it got thrown further out of the air cleaner onto the side cover and bags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts