Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for suggestions to mitigate these scratches on the gas tank console dash trim of my 2021 RGS. Guessing my jacket zipper or belt buckle was the culprit during a particularly careless moment or two. Kinda stands out like a red clown nose on the Statue of Liberty.

Before resorting to progressively lighter shades of marker or replacing the whole thing ($270 used on eBay...not willing to punish myself quite so hard for my stupidity) I thought I'd see if this was something anyone else might have encountered and how you fixed it.

UPDATE: Since original post I've been directed to HD's OEM replacement insert (MEDALLION,FTK CSL,INSERT #14101270) which will allow me to replace just the piece that's scratched (and not the entire console) for under $50. Many thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction. Just wondering, though, what's involved with its removal and replacement since I'm all thumbs and no brain when it comes to all things mechanical!

Thanks!

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Attachments

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,868 Posts
No fixing, totally ruined. As a favor, I'll take that now worthless hunk of scrap off of your hands for $10. 😜

Marker might work. The part that's scratched, is it plastic? Be careful with it, some plastics can be melted by some types of permanent markers. It's not like the marker will eat a hole in it or something, but could cause maybe raised edges or roughness that might make it stand out more.

Reactions: South Jersey Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No fixing, totally ruined. As a favor, I'll take that now worthless hunk of scrap off of your hands for $10. 😜

Marker might work. The part that's scratched, is it plastic? Be careful with it, some plastics can be melted by some types of permanent markers. It's not like the marker will eat a hole in it or something, but could cause maybe raised edges or roughness that might make it stand out more.
Thanks for the quick reply and the warning. Didn't realize that was a thing with permanent markers.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,187 Posts

·
weird member
3,868 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and the warning. Didn't realize that was a thing with permanent markers.
It depends on the specific type of marker and specific type of plastic. Most markers will be fine for most plastic though. Usually the problem is that it will rub off or not stay on.

Alcohol-based markers won't stick well to plastic, look for oil-based.

·
Registered
21 LowRider S
44,333 Posts
Looking for suggestions to mitigate these scratches on the gas tank console dash trim of my 2021 RGS. Guessing my jacket zipper or belt buckle was the culprit during a particularly careless moment or two. Kinda stands out like a red clown nose on the Statue of Liberty.

Before resorting to progressively lighter shades of marker or replacing the whole thing ($270 used on eBay...not willing to punish myself quite so hard for my stupidity) I thought I'd see if this was something anyone else might have encountered and how you fixed it.

Thanks!

View attachment 809910

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you look into replacing the insert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since my original post several folks have been kind enough to direct me to just that: a new insert. This as opposed to replacing the entire console. It can be found for under $50 and I'm very likely going to pull the trigger on it as soon as I find instructions on how to remove the old one and insert the new one. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, replacing it is what I'll probably end up doing. Didn't realize I could replace just the insert and not the whole console. I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person in this forum so I'm a usure how I'd go about replacing the insert but I'm sure I'll figure it out (or someone here who already knows will tell me).

·
Retired citizen
25,424 Posts
Oops! I read the post but failed to open the link !
Some of those inlays are difficult, best done in the garage on a mild day with low humidity and some patience ! Put the inlay under a heat heat lamp to get it flexible and clean the console like you're planning to eat off it.

·
weird member
3,868 Posts
If they are the ones that attach by double sided tape, cleaning the area they stick to with alcohol has worked well for me.
This is important.

Any time I needed to stick any kind of anything sticky, I always clean the area with 91% isopropyl alcohol and never had an issue getting stuff to stick and stay stuck. In a pinch, I've even used 70% ipa and had it work. 99% ipa is best but unnecessary (99% is really only necessarily in electronics cleaning).

Another thing in getting a successful stick is as Schmidty mentioned, making sure the sticky thing is warmed up.

Also, always press and hold for a good 3-5 minutes.

But , I just wanted to stress cleaning the area really well using isopropyl alcohol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts