Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my tank on my 2002 Ultra Classic. I have a friend who has one but I think it is off a fuel injected bike (he has no idea) and mine is a carb bike. When I look at the bottom of his tank it has 2 threaded holes and my tank has just 1 for the pet-cock. Could a guy get a plug for one of the holes and tread the pet-cock in the other?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, so Pingel makes a conversion for the tank (little pricey). Does anyone know what the treads are on each side of the converter (nipple)?
Also, will I be able to use my factory petcock?
Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question,
Do I need to remove any of the plumbing inside the tank? Is the fuel removed from the tank by vacuum of do i need to some how cut the tubing inside to allow gravity.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

·
Banned
71 Posts
Another question,
Do I need to remove any of the plumbing inside the tank? Is the fuel removed from the tank by vacuum of do i need to some how cut the tubing inside to allow gravity.

Any help is greatly appreciated...
Remove the fuel pump and filter along with the rest of the tubing .

A tank full of fuel is HARD to work with, empty it .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure the year of the donor tank. when you look inside there is 2 hard lines coming from the 2 threaded holes. one goes over the hump to the other side then down. the other heads to the pump. when the pump is removed they are still in there. again hard lines...

·
Banned
71 Posts
not sure the year of the donor tank. when you look inside there is 2 hard lines coming from the 2 threaded holes. one goes over the hump to the other side then down. the other heads to the pump. when the pump is removed they are still in there. again hard lines...
When you remove the two connections on the bottom left side, the hard lines will come with them . :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
went out to garage and stuck my phone in the tank and took a pick of the lines i am referring to. i am guessing my donor tank is not correct for the year. need to see if i can fab something to work

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
went out to garage and stuck my phone in the tank and took a pick of the lines i am referring to. i am guessing my donor tank is not correct for the year. need to see if i can fab something to work
If you pull the nuts on the outside , those lines should come lose .

·
Banned
71 Posts
only thing on the outside is 2 holes with flush threads... like this (not my tank but same thing)
Looks like a '98 tank. That plate is wielded on after the lines are wielded on the inside of it .

Three things you can do.
1) Grind the wield off of the plate and remove it all .
2) Or you can drill the holes out until the inside "nuts" fall off , then remove the lines .
3) Drill the "nuts" with a slightly smaller drill than the thread size , until the lines ONLY fall off .

I'd do number three. Then plug one threaded hole with a blind plug, and use the other threaded hole to mount my petcock in . Use adapter bushings as needed to fit the petcock . :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
awesome!
thanks again for all your help!

or... is there a market for my donor tank? my bike is a carb bike but the tank has a big dent in the side. what are the odds i could sell it and find an exact fit? are these tanks in demand?

·
Banned
71 Posts
EvoRK;3956289[B said:
]I have a carb ultra tank if you're interested let me know[/B]
awesome!
thanks again for all your help!

or... is there a market for my donor tank? my bike is a carb bike but the tank has a big dent in the side. what are the odds i could sell it and find an exact fit? are these tanks in demand?
Sell that tank on E-Bay , buy another tank, paint it to match . :)

2) Fix your tank, removing dents is not always a big deal, depending on what dent you have .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its a pretty good dent, need to think about this a bit. in the long run might be cheaper to sell and get correct replacement or just repair...

·
Banned
71 Posts
its a pretty good dent, need to think about this a bit. in the long run might be cheaper to sell and get correct replacement or just repair...
Take it by a body shop and see what they say about it .

Fixing the dent and painting at same place is cheaper than just fixing the dent , then taking it to paint later on .

Worse that could happen is ..... you tell them No Thank You . :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts