Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start my 16" ape changout today. The gas tank just looks a bit intimidating to remove. Any tricks? 2009 FXSTC. I would just splice the wires on the outside of the tank and wrap with a cable wrap, but I can't get to the throttle cables with it on.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I'm not a Softail guy, but some things you may be able to use removing the tank. The fuel line disconnects under the tank like an air hose, pull up on the collar, then down on the line. Either remove your fuel pump fuse and run engine to remove pressure in the line, or wrap a rag around the line. Only a little gas spurts out. Removing the crossover line at the front of the tank is tricky. Three hands are better than two, but a pair of vise grips to pinch the hose or a 5/16" bolt to use as a plug, an extra length of gas line to connect to the tank, and a container to catch gas should all be handy. I've removed many gas tanks and have gotten so good at it that my wife only complains about gas smell in the garage for about 3 days now. :cussing

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, going for it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Going to start my 16" ape changout today. The gas tank just looks a bit intimidating to remove. Any tricks? 2009 FXSTC. I would just splice the wires on the outside of the tank and wrap with a cable wrap, but I can't get to the throttle cables with it on.
Does urs have a crossover line? I cant remember but to take ur tank off should just be a couple bolts for the dash then disconnect harness under and pull the dash. Disconnect wiring harness thats located from the left side that is attached to the electronics inside the tank. If yours doesnt have a crossover then the quick disconnect should be the only thing left. Lift up on the fitting and release the fuel line and remove the tank. If u do have a crossover hose, I always just got a gas can and release the left side and let it drain into the can. Once empty then u can remove the tank but I am thinking u dont have one so its shouldnt be an issue

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Who'd have thunk it? Ask a bunch of folks who have done it a thousand times. Here's what I did. Took all the bolts out that I could find, disconnected and plugged my gas line and then started jerking the shit out of it to get it off. The super Ninja crossover hose, that I didn't know was there, finally popped free. That sent gas spewing all over me and onto the floor in an increasingly widening pool. The gas blob was obviously chilly because it started making it's way toward my rocket engine heater thing with the open flame shooting out the front. My choices appeared to be to drop the tank and dive for the heater thing, well that was about it. I dialed it down for a zillisecond and eased my little roll around stool over toward the heater while balancing the tank with on my outstretched hand. I was able to turn the death ray off and then focus on plugging the cross-over hose. I seriously thought we were done, my brothers and sisters. Soooo, I don't know the best way for you to get your tank off, but in case you were thinking of this method........

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who'd have thunk it? Ask a bunch of folks who have done it a thousand times. Here's what I did. Took all the bolts out that I could find, disconnected and plugged my gas line and then started jerking the shit out of it to get it off. The super Ninja crossover hose, that I didn't know was there, finally popped free. That sent gas spewing all over me and onto the floor in an increasingly widening pool. The gas blob was obviously chilly because it started making it's way toward my rocket engine heater thing with the open flame shooting out the front. My choices appeared to be to drop the tank and dive for the heater thing, well that was about it. I dialed it down for a zillisecond and eased my little roll around stool over toward the heater while balancing the tank with on my outstretched hand. I was able to turn the death ray off and then focus on plugging the cross-over hose. I seriously thought we were done, my brothers and sisters. Soooo, I don't know the best way for you to get your tank off, but in case you were thinking of this method........
ThanX too all. I gotta say harley: why not put a **kin' drain fitting on it. I just took it off. 20 minutes. Gas everywhere. Up my arm pits, into my crotch, hemmie's are burning.... But I think it';s all going to worth it came Saturday morning when I pound some ground w/ 16" apes and 2" risers..

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
:rofl::rofl: Squeekie; Now you understand why even though I think I'm good at removing a gas tank, my wife still smells gas for 3 days.

Chief; That was funny. :nod

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I the only one that after 8 hours of work and being worn out, after trying to put that front rubber piece in finally said "screw it" and threw it in the trash? Looks ok without it and it is a big pain in the butt!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Am I the only one that after 8 hours of work and being worn out, after trying to put that front rubber piece in finally said "screw it" and threw it in the trash? Looks ok without it and it is a big pain in the butt!!
Haha, chief that was awesome!!! I wish it didnt hurt so freaking bad when beer comes out ur nose!!

Squeaky. I ended up glueing it on using loctite extreme glue. Let it sit overnight and it wont ever come off again, haha I did this 8hrs later of course!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, chief that was awesome!!! I wish it didnt hurt so freaking bad when beer comes out ur nose!!

Squeaky. I ended up glueing it on using loctite extreme glue. Let it sit overnight and it wont ever come off again, haha I did this 8hrs later of course!

Yeah, I'm going to trim out the fat part of it so only what you see from the outside shows and Gorilla glue it.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have to ask. Why did you take the tank off to replace the handlebars?

Were you not able to route the cables?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to ask. Why did you take the tank off to replace the handlebars?

Were you not able to route the cables?
Yeah, the throttle cables were zip tied under the tank. Also it was impossible to get to the Induction Module connection. The tank just sits so low. It would have made the job 2 hours shorter if I didn't have to remove it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts