Yep, they are a fairly common problem. A lot of guys swap em out for the flush mounted units which not only look better but work well too. My cap was a problem so I went with the Kuryakyn keyed version.
If you mean the cap, I had a defective on also, need a big pair of pump pliers and crush it from the sides. I replaced it with a flush mount.
If you mean the tank trim, the little plastic decoration just pops out. remove the nut underneath, remove the small screw on the tail end of the strip, under the front edge of the seat. The rubber strip seems to stick I itself to the tank. It takes some force to peal it off, start from the tail.
I hope this helps, those other guys don't have a Breakout.