Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes you gotta get fuel where you can. This is a picture from a ride last summer. I have bought gas in the strangest places while traveling in Mexico. Meat markets, School supply stores and once in a while the occasional Pemex staqtion.:D

Attachments

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
That's the kind of adventures I like! I rode through Chile this past June and the memories are lasting. Went waaaay off road (Your GS's are good for this ;)) and saw things not in any Chilean travel brochure. Have you ever purchased gas at a non-Pemex place and it was no good?

BTW, Having brain-block here. What is an '05 BWS?

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's the kind of adventures I like! I rode through Chile this past June and the memories are lasting. Went waaaay off road (Your GS's are good for this ;)) and saw things not in any Chilean travel brochure. Have you ever purchased gas at a non-Pemex place and it was no good?

BTW, Having brain-block here. What is an '05 BWS?
sfarson,
Never had any problems with the quality from these "outside" vendors. Most of the gas sold here is refined in the US. Funny, I can get away with running regular down here and when I try it in the US the bike really complains. (pings)
We did get a tankfull of contaminated gas in the wifes Dakota a while back. Had to take it to the dealer and have the tank dropped and cleaned out. At least they said it was bad gas. Same thing happened to a male friend of ours and the Stealership warrantied it. Makes me wonder if they weren't trying to take advantage of a woman.
The BWS is a Yamaha, 100cc, 2 stroke adventure type scooter. Don't think they sell them in the States. The one that Nathang posted is the 50cc model. Mine is 100cc's and has hand protectors and a double headlight. I bought it because it reminded me of the GS.
Mine is like this one : http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-18739380-increible-remato-2-motos-no-lo-pienses-_JM

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
sfarson,
Never had any problems with the quality from these "outside" vendors. Most of the gas sold here is refined in the US. Funny, I can get away with running regular down here and when I try it in the US the bike really complains. (pings)
We did get a tankfull of contaminated gas in the wifes Dakota a while back. Had to take it to the dealer and have the tank dropped and cleaned out. At least they said it was bad gas. Same thing happened to a male friend of ours and the Stealership warrantied it. Makes me wonder if they weren't trying to take advantage of a woman.
The BWS is a Yamaha, 100cc, 2 stroke adventure type scooter. Don't think they sell them in the States. The one that Nathang posted is the 50cc model. Mine is 100cc's and has hand protectors and a double headlight. I bought it because it reminded me of the GS.
Mine is like this one : http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-18739380-increible-remato-2-motos-no-lo-pienses-_JM

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

The BWS... How about that, a GS like scooter! Used to have an HP2 here. Outstanding for the Rocky Mountain/Colorado forest roads. Never knew most gas was refined in the U.S.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
Sometimes you gotta get fuel where you can. This is a picture from a ride last summer. I have bought gas in the strangest places while traveling in Mexico. Meat markets, School supply stores and once in a while the occasional Pemex staqtion.:D
There's some strange places to get fuel in philippines too. I've never had my bike over there but I always rent something to get around on.

First picture is my hot rod I rented.
Second: on the left with the blue tarp is a gas station :D
Third is my brother in laws mansion.
Forth is the house we bought for my mother in law.

Attachments

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
There's some strange places to get fuel in philippines too. I've never had my bike over there but I always rent something to get around on.

That looks realy cool. Those houses are some of the smallest I've seen but nice and clean and well cared for. I like that little hot rod scooter.

I wish!
No, the price is in Mexican Pesos.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster
I saw the dollar sign on that web site but that makes more sense. You seem quite fond of that little bugger. I guess it served you well.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts

Nice pics LD! Did you ever face "hectic" traffic situations while scooting around the Philippines?

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
There's plenty of that crazy traffic in the city (same as mexico) but I spend most my time on a small island called Bantayan Island, Cebu. Most of the transportation there is motorbike or bicycles, not very many cars.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's plenty of that crazy traffic in the city (same as mexico) but I spend most my time on a small island called Bantayan Island, Cebu. Most of the transportation there is motorbike or bicycles, not very many cars.
That would be great. The cars and busses is what you have to look out for here.
Between the crappy streets and the hectic traffic, I try to avoid driving in the city at all costs.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Have been to Mexico City and would concur with a hesitancy to spend much time on two wheels in the city! I suppose this would be true with Veracruz, Guadalajara, Monterrey, and most other large cities?

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have been to Mexico City and would concur with a hesitancy to spend much time on two wheels in the city! I suppose this would be true with Veracruz, Guadalajara, Monterrey, and most other large cities?
Been to Mexico City once on the bike. About 5 years ago passed thru with a group of about 30 other riders (HOG) on our way back from the national rally.
We passed thru on a Sunday AM. One of the riders was from Mexico City and arranged ahead for a guide rider and a pick up to ride drag for the group. We passed thru with no major incidents. Would I attempt it alone? No way Jose!

Recently they have changed some laws in Mexico City which states that motorcycles cannot ride on the periferico (Bypass) and other major cities. They singled out bikes because they were being used a lot in robberies and made it easier to escape law enforcement officers.
Been to Monterrey and Guadalajara as well as Veracruz and they are a cake walk compared to Mexico. I wouldn't drive there in the cage. Just too many stories going around.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
You ever come across "topes" on your rides? Have read/heard about these... going down the road, seeing a warning sign (if there is a warning sign) for their upcoming presence, but the warning is short and "wham!" one can get hit one of these speed bumps at speed!

Last year on a ride through Arizona met a rider at a hotel on his way back to Washington State. He was returning from Mexico where he picked up his repaired bike, almost totaled by hitting a "tope" outside a small town at night.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You ever come across "topes" on your rides? Have read/heard about these... going down the road, seeing a warning sign (if there is a warning sign) for their upcoming presence, but the warning is short and "wham!" one can get hit one of these speed bumps at speed!

Last year on a ride through Arizona met a rider at a hotel on his way back to Washington State. He was returning from Mexico where he picked up his repaired bike, almost totaled by hitting a "tope" outside a small town at night.
Oh yes! The infamous topes. Topes are put here because of the inhabitants inability to follow instructions on a road sign. (EG: 25 MPH) Warning signs are an afterthought. Everytime I hit a tope at speed I imagine that there are a couple of local inhabitants hiding behind a bush on the side of the road laughing at me. I know of one near where I live that had to be put up just to cause damage. It is on a blind curve with absolutely NO warning. If you don't know it is there, you can't slow down. It's sole purpose is to damage vehicle suspension.
We have a million of them here. The bad thing about topes in Mexico is that there is no standard dimensions or guidelines used when they are made. You might go over one that is 6" tall and then a mile or 2 down the road find yourself scraping on one that is 10" high. (I have been over some where the GS has scraped bottom.)
I learned a long time ago that if you are going to hit one, you need to do it Evel Kenevil style. Give it hell. Don't brake. Braking just compresses the front suspension and makes it solid when you do take the hit.

My Son is a second year civil engineering student at UW. He is going to prepare a photo essay on some of the engineering feats where we live. Topes will definitely be included.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettater

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Oh yes! The infamous topes. Topes are put here because of the inhabitants inability to follow instructions on a road sign. (EG: 25 MPH) Warning signs are an afterthought. Everytime I hit a tope at speed I imagine that there are a couple of local inhabitants hiding behind a bush on the side of the road laughing at me. I know of one near where I live that had to be put up just to cause damage. It is on a blind curve with absolutely NO warning. If you don't know it is there, you can't slow down. It's sole purpose is to damage vehicle suspension.
We have a million of them here. The bad thing about topes in Mexico is that there is no standard dimensions or guidelines used when they are made. You might go over one that is 6" tall and then a mile or 2 down the road find yourself scraping on one that is 10" high. (I have been over some where the GS has scraped bottom.)
I learned a long time ago that if you are going to hit one, you need to do it Evel Kenevil style. Give it hell. Don't brake. Braking just compresses the front suspension and makes it solid when you do take the hit.

My Son is a second year civil engineering student at UW. He is going to prepare a photo essay on some of the engineering feats where we live. Topes will definitely be included.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettater
I just want to see if I have this right. Topes are speed bumps put in place to force you to go the speed limit and if you disobey and try to go speeding thru, you will probably damage your bike?

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just want to see if I have this right. Topes are speed bumps put in place to force you to go the speed limit and if you disobey and try to go speeding thru, you will probably damage your bike?
That sums it up pretty good.
FWIW: No one in their right mind would hit a tope at speed on purpose. My point is that they are not always identified. (Sometimes I do think it is out of spite)
Also, beings as how there are no standards for dimensions when making them, you never know just how slow you need to pass over them.
Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

1 - 20 of 21 Posts