Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Old biker here with a new, to me, bike. 2012 Softail Deluxe, heavy breather, V&H Big Shots pipes, and an FP3 flash tuner. Stock map for the BSS pipes.

I took it to have new cams put in and was surprised to find it’s already got S&S gear driven cams!

Is there any way to know which cams they are without pulling them from the engine? Vance & Hines tells me they need the the cam number to provide a better map, and to just keep running the canned map until then. Whoever did the work originally had an RC-Extreme inline tuner on it, which failed (hence the FP3 and no idea what cams I’ve got).

Any tips, ideas, or info would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Retired citizen
22,912 Posts
Just remove the cam cover, might have to loosen and move the front exhaust pipe and floorboard for access, then inspect the end on the cams. Should be some numbers stamped there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion Schmidty. We had the cover off and did our best to find something, but there were no numbers we could see. Only S&S. The tech said he’d have to pull them to see.

I’ve been riding this one, hard, for a few months and the plugs look good, oil looks good, doesn’t seem to get too hot, and except for a little pause off the line she runs like a scalded cat. Maybe I shouldn’t sweat it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The numbers on the S&S cams are usually on the end lobes facing the engine, And is usually engraved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts