Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is '05 Dyna Super Glide Custom w/ JIMS120 engine. Considering changing from chain driven/shoe cam to a gear drive set up. Been told noise level is up a bit, but so is performance. I don't lack any performance as it is, but those damn chains/shoes worry me w/ some 25,000 miles on them now. Local indy has done them and good guy to work with and curious what others say about the gear system. Have no idea as to cost but if it makes the bike more dependable I will spring for it. All feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
As long as the pinion shaft is running at .003", your good.
Gear-driven cams are quiet as a rule.
Scott

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's on my list of things to do. It's an easy job to remove the cam drive cover and inspect the nylon shoes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Instructor, I just got my 2003 ultra done last week by an independant shop. Glad I did, the inside shoe was half gone by the way of pieces. I started to notice mine being a little noisy, at the end of last riding season. Tech said I brought in at the right time, because with this season coming up I wouldn't have been riding it much. I spent the extra money and put the Screaming Eagle kit in instead of the stock stuff. My bike had almost 30 k on it. May want to get it checked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Instructor, I just got my 2003 ultra done last week by an independant shop. Glad I did, the inside shoe was half gone by the way of pieces. I started to notice mine being a little noisy, at the end of last riding season. Tech said I brought in at the right time, because with this season coming up I wouldn't have been riding it much. I spent the extra money and put the Screaming Eagle kit in instead of the stock stuff. My bike had almost 30 k on it. May want to get it checked.
What was the run out like on the pinion shaft? Did you have to have it trued at that milage?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only issue I have heard is you need to check the run out on the pinion shaft and get it trued to under .003 if it is not already.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The only issue I have heard is you need to check the run out on the pinion shaft and get it trued to under .003 if it is not already.
That's why I asked above. It gets pricy if the pinion shaft is not true.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a look at S&S web site and from what I could see do not offer gear drive kit for Dyna older than '06. Would imagine others do, but did speak with respected long term tech at dealer shop and he advised against it. Would have to change cams and already have a fortune tied up in that JIMS120. I'll forego the chain cam set up but will go with the hydraulic tensioner offered by Harley unless some of you out there have advise against it??
All feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yoshi, I'm not sure, of any runout. Tech said evrything went well with no problems, so I assume everything was in proper specs. When I went over to make the appt. He had showed me another factory setup which the customer stated to him that it wasn't done long ago. Tech didn't know how long ago or the miles since it was done, but he did say the customer told him it wasn't long ago, and it was as bad as mine was. Being my bike was used and was at the mileage to have it checked I told him to go ahead and do it. Noise is gone now, but I was close to having future issues.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The pinion run out is the measurement of round at the end of the crank shaft where the pinion gear mounts to drive the cams. Factory spec for pinion run out is 0.012 inches. However, if your actual pinion run out is greater than 0.003 inches a gear driven setup won't be happy for long. Fixing excessive pinion run out means pulling the crank and big dollars.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I understand your explanation of pinion run out if going to the gear set up, but I stayed stock with the exception of going with the screaming eagle set up with the hydraulic cam tensioners, and new oil pump, bearings. It was an entire kit. He said it was more money but highly recommended it for longevity vs putting the factory style tensioners back in. I'm not up on the harley's that much as this is my first one, but learning as I go. He did say, one of the reasons the inner shoe weard is that shoes just gets it lubrication from oil splash and not from oil pressure, so it wears sooner in addition to the edges of the chain can be machined with sharper edges which in turn wears the shoes quicker. Like I mentioned I'm still learing and with info from this site and other's experiences. This tech has being doing this for over 20 years, and I have heard nothing but good from his work so I trust his judgement. His shop is very busy, and I will definitely go back in the future. I'm sure there is alot more involved with going to a gear drive than stayng with the chain set up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You said you had your's done and this thread is about gear driven cams of which the screaming eagle kit has none so I was confused.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Maybe I was confused as the original post was gear drives and his mileage and the shoe wear. I was sharing my experience with simular mileage and what the tech found when he opened it up. Gear drive, I know nothing about as I wasn't considering going that route, only upgrading from hydraulic tensioners over stock, and having his checked with. My mistake.:rollin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts