Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to change cam chain to gears with 510G S&S gear driven cams on my Road King with stock engine. No plans for big bore kits. I have got 28k on the king. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jay.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
You will love em!
The gear drive is the only way to go. I wonder why HD doesn't do it from the factory?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it's a great Idea. HD1RK has a 2000 Road King that turned 70K miles and the cam chain died on him. He went with the gear drive and hasn't looked back. Don't wait for it to happen to you.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Why do you think the moco doesn't use gear drive?

·
Ayubowan!
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think S&S or Andrew cams have copyrights.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Copyright can only be held by one co. for 7 years. There is at least 2 manf.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gear drive is the way to go! Without a doubt.

Reason the moco does not use them is besause of EPA noise regulations - see its not only exhaust pollution that has stringent requirements, but there are other tests involving riding by at a certain speed in a certain gear, and then measuring the TOTAL noise level including mechanical noise - hence to use of "quieter running chains". Just part of complying.
I am not sure about the next one, but it is my suspicion that chains and sprockets are more cost effective to manufacture, and the wear rate is satisfactory...

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Kainam- good reading. Thanks.
S&D- There are ways they can cut the gears to eliminate noise?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thing about involute gear teeth is that they do make more noise, but decreace instantaneous friction by thier teeth "sliding" over eachother motion. By doing a helical cut, you can make it quieter, but introduce side thrust, necessitating bearings able to withstand axial thrust. Less noise, more frictional losses.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Thing about involute gear teeth is that they do make more noise, but decreace instantaneous friction by thier teeth "sliding" over eachother motion. By doing a helical cut, you can make it quieter, but introduce side thrust, necessitating bearings able to withstand axial thrust. Less noise, more frictional losses.
What class did you take to know that???:cool:

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Theory = B.S.:rofl:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey now!!!! Easy guys - unfortunately for your sarcasm and jokes, this, as it happens, is not one of my own theories!
Should the need arise I can delve into the depths of this explanation.

Bottom line is this, precision, accuracy and minimal losses = more power!
EPA = regulators that care not so much about shit-eating grin factor for us reprobates today, but for the safe and healthy ears and environment for the souls we leave behind when we go...

·
Rally Trash Picker
28 Posts
It's no bs from AJ. That's why blowers with helical drive gears have a bearing support.

·
Large Member
173 Posts
I have over 20k on my 04 TC.The only mod done to the engine is a set of Long Shots.I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and also have plans on the gear drive set up soon.
Is there such a thing as a stock grind on the replacement cams?
It's suggested by S&S to use adjustable push rods and removeable tubes.With the stock grind,why should it be nessessary to replace the pushrods?
Do new lifters come w the kit?
Do all the gaskets and seals come w the S&S kit?
Full of questions,aint I!

I deal w spiral cut gears in automatic transmissions and find certain transmissions have a high failure rate at specific bearings due to the longitudinal thrust caused from the screwing effect of the sun gear and planets,The GM 4L60E & 4T65E have some of the highest failures at the rear sun gear and planet,it's the bearing that fails,thus taking out the gears.The FWD 65E's have the pitch cut oposite w the 3.8 engine,this has really helped eliminate bearing failure.
Straight cut gears transfer energy more effieciently but they do create a whining sound,the helical cut gear design is used in transmissions for reduced sound at a customer satisfaction level,not so much as the engineering.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
I have over 20k on my 04 TC.The only mod done to the engine is a set of Long Shots.I plan on keeping this bike for a long time and also have plans on the gear drive set up soon.
Is there such a thing as a stock grind on the replacement cams?
Yes, here are the cam specs for a stock injection model, (carbed slightly different)

Timing, Duration(.053 .020), Lift, Lift @ TDC

02/34, 216, 257, 0.473, 0.087
36/04, 220, 260, 0.473, 0.110

Andrews TW21
10/30, 220, 255, 0.498, 0.134
40/08, 228, 264, 0.498, 0.121

S&S 510G "Bolt in cam" (Duration listed for .053" lift only)
20/38, 238, 0.510, 0.187
52/20, 252, 0.510, 0.178

It's suggested by S&S to use adjustable push rods and removeable tubes.With the stock grind,why should it be nessessary to replace the pushrods?
Although not technically necessary just so long as the cam's base circle is the same, adjustable pushrods make things easier if you ever have to go back into the engine in the future.

Do new lifters come w the kit?
No, not needed unless yours are worn. Stock units are fine.

Do all the gaskets and seals come w the S&S kit?
No, I dont believe they do.

Full of questions,aint I!

I deal w spiral cut gears in automatic transmissions and find certain transmissions have a high failure rate at specific bearings due to the longitudinal thrust caused from the screwing effect of the sun gear and planets,The GM 4L60E & 4T65E have some of the highest failures at the rear sun gear and planet,it's the bearing that fails,thus taking out the gears.The FWD 65E's have the pitch cut oposite w the 3.8 engine,this has really helped eliminate bearing failure.
Straight cut gears transfer energy more effieciently but they do create a whining sound,the helical cut gear design is used in transmissions for reduced sound at a customer satisfaction level,not so much as the engineering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts