Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth doing? Has anyone done this mod? I have been told it increases horse power and less friction and no further adjusting is necessary.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,196 Posts
Never heard of it, but I'd still bet it's baloney.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nathang,
I am probably saying it wrong but we have gear driven primaries in our Revolution engines and they sell kits to convert the Twin Cam motors to this system and was just wondering if anyone had done this before.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Nathang,
I am probably saying it wrong but we have gear driven primaries in our Revolution engines and they sell kits to convert the Twin Cam motors to this system and was just wondering if anyone had done this before.
The biggest problem is with the adjusters on the chain with the pre-'07 models (as a general rule). They will wear out somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 and need to be replaced. They should be inspected periodically as part of your maintenance.

Going to the gear drive involves money.

If you ride 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, it makes more sense to stay with the chain and tensioners. One tensioner change in five years. If you ride 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year, that's a tensioner change every year. It would take about three tensioner changes to get close to the cost of the gear drive.

The choice comes down to how much you ride and how long you plan on keeping the bike.

That's the quick answer. There are some build issues which enter into play.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The biggest problem is with the adjusters on the chain with the pre-'07 models (as a general rule). They will wear out somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 and need to be replaced. They should be inspected periodically as part of your maintenance.

Going to the gear drive involves money.

If you ride 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, it makes more sense to stay with the chain and tensioners. One tensioner change in five years. If you ride 25,000 to 30,000 miles per year, that's a tensioner change every year. It would take about three tensioner changes to get close to the cost of the gear drive.

The choice comes down to how much you ride and how long you plan on keeping the bike.

That's the quick answer. There are some build issues which enter into play.
Thanks for the response. I've been told that there is less friction with the gear drive vs chain drive thereby increasing power and fuel milage. If it's true then maybe it's worth doing a little bit more. That leaves the question why did Harley switch to an automatic chain tensioner and not the gear drive as in the revolution motor. I'm guessing cost.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Gear drive is/has been on my 'wish list', since I'm probably gonna be stuck with the Barge until I die. The original 'shoes' on my CCT were junk at 8k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts