Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gear indicator on my '15 RK stopped displaying all of a sudden and I have spent hours trying to solve it. I found the root cause and wanted to post the solution so that others do not spend so much time figuring it out. This probably applies to touring models '14 - '16 and I am not sure about other models or years.

Symptoms: (Oh yes, these are things that used to work)
1.) Gear indicator does not display at all. This is probably the first thing one notices.
2.) Engine will not start in gear with clutch engaged.
3.) Cruise control does not work.

To my surprise there is no gear position sensor. Apparently the gear position (1 thru 6) is derived in the ECU by comparing RPM and vehicle speed. That involves the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and I suspect the crank position sensor (not sure).

The 3 symptoms I list above all involve the clutch status - engaged or disengaged.

1,) The gear indicator is designed to not display with the clutch engaged while underway during normal operation. So, the ECU needs to know the clutch status in order to do this.
2.) The ignition is designed not to start while the bike is in gear and the clutch is disengaged. It should start when the clutch is engaged. Again, the ECU needs to know the clutch status in order to operate like this.
3.) Cruise control is designed to disengage while underway if the clutch is applied. Again, in order to accomplish that, it needs to know the clutch status.

So, I bet you can guess what the problem is. The ECU is not getting information about the clutch status. It turns out that there is a clutch interlock switch in the left hand side handlebar switch cluster. When the clutch lever is squeezed it pushes a switch button that sends the ECU that information.

As it turns out I recall washing my bike just before this started and I likely sprayed water too forcefully on the switch cluster housing and fubar'd the PCB board on the switch when I started it next. So, these failures are likely moisture related (I've read many posts about others having this problem). I think it is an opportunity for improvement for HD design engineers. They did use silicon to protect the PCB's but obviously not well enough.

Unfortunately, the switch itself is not replaceable and the fix required that I replace the entire switch cluster. Add that to the fact that I could not find anywhere that would sell me just the left side switch cluster. I had to buy both. They retailed for $249 but I found a set online for $206 at Big Sky Harley https://shopbigskyharley.com/products/lighted-hand-control-switches (P/N - 71500250B). Happy wrenching!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this info! I just picked up a 2017 Road Glide today. Last week during the test ride, cruise control and gear indicator worked. Taking it home today, I couldn't get the cruise control to come on and I noticed the gear indicator wasn't working.

On top of all of this, I had a CB installed. Salesman was going through the bike and I asked "How do I transmit?" because I noticed there was a PTT button. He said "That is a good question". He is going to find out tomorrow. Down side of getting a bike right after closing on a Sunday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your detailed explanation. My gear indicator just recently quit working and I recall it happened the same day I washed my bike. Geez, that isn't something you would think would happen as a bike is designed to be out in the weather. I have my new switches on order. It looks like it will be a week and a half before they get here. The good news is the new switches will be lighted and the old ones aren't. That should help out with night riding as I have trouble finding my brights switch sometimes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The gear indicator on my '15 RK stopped displaying all of a sudden and I have spent hours trying to solve it. I found the root cause and wanted to post the solution so that others do not spend so much time figuring it out. This probably applies to touring models '14 - '16 and I am not sure about other models or years.

1.) Gear indicator does not display at all. This is probably the first thing one notices.

To my surprise there is no gear position sensor. Apparently the gear position (1 thru 6) is derived in the ECU by comparing RPM and vehicle speed. That involves the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) and I suspect the crank position sensor (not sure).

The 3 symptoms I list above all involve the clutch status - engaged or disengaged.

1,) The gear indicator is designed to not display with the clutch engaged while underway during normal operation. So, the ECU needs to know the clutch status in order to do this.
2.) The ignition is designed not to start while the bike is in gear and the clutch is disengaged. It should start when the clutch is engaged. Again, the ECU needs to know the clutch status in order to operate like this.
3.) Cruise control is designed to disengage while underway if the clutch is applied. Again, in order to accomplish that, it needs to know the clutch status.

So, I bet you can guess what the problem is. The ECU is not getting information about the clutch status. It turns out that there is a clutch interlock switch in the left hand side handlebar switch cluster. When the clutch lever is squeezed it pushes a switch button that sends the ECU that information.

As it turns out I recall washing my bike just before this started and I likely sprayed water too forcefully on the switch cluster housing and fubar'd the PCB board on the switch when I started it next. So, these failures are likely moisture related (I've read many posts about others having this problem). I think it is an opportunity for improvement for HD design engineers. They did use silicon to protect the PCB's but obviously not well enough.

Unfortunately, the switch itself is not replaceable and the fix required that I replace the entire switch cluster. Add that to the fact that I could not find anywhere that would sell me just the left side switch cluster. I had to buy both. They retailed for $249 but I found a set online for $206 at Big Sky Harley Lighted Hand Control Switches - 71500250B (P/N - 71500250B). Happy wrenching!
Hi
I've 2016 softail slim s (flss) and had the same trouble with the gear indicator a few days after washing the bike
Before replacing the cluch cluster I tried to clean the switch with electrical contact cleaner spray.
I sprayed the switch while pressing and releasing the cluch lever a few times and then checked my bike
and I'm happy to inform you guys that this solved the problem and it's working like new!!!
So I recomend you before running and spending your money on a new part try cleaning the switch and save your money.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
FYI: The original poster does not know what engaged and disengaged mean, apparently he thinks that pulling in the clutch lever is engaging the clutch....

Reactions: Scum

·
Registered
2 Posts

Unfortunately, the switch itself is not replaceable and the fix required that I replace the entire switch cluster. Add that to the fact that I could not find anywhere that would sell me just the left side switch cluster. I had to buy both. They retailed for $249 but I found a set online for $206 at Big Sky Harley Lighted Hand Control Switches - 71500250B (P/N - 71500250B). Happy wrenching!
Many thanks for the detailed information. I had the same issues with my 2015 limited. I disassembled the exterior housing of the assembly applied some compressed air and allowed the assembly to dry out overnight. I think it got wet when I washed the bike this week. This morning I reassembled the exterior housing turned on the bike, and everything is working.(y). No need to purchase the new assembly after all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should have discussed another repair I performed to the same left control panel/cluster... In this case the top funtion switch for the LED odometer display. This switch seemed to be broken when it refused to change the functions from Odometer to trip, MPG... After more than a year of this, I decided to address it, or to replace the left control panel.

I determined the switch became Heavily oxidized after water got into/under the switch more than a year earlier. I generously applied my DeOxit spray products all over the funtion switch. You should get at the switch from inside the control panel too. Just remove the two screws that secure the panel cover. Work that button a hundred times or so. I had to re-spray and work that switch a few more times over the next two days, until the oxidation was cleaned and the switch worked consistently.

Partsexpress will sell DeOxit for just 5% of replacing the control panel. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I should have discussed another repair I performed to the same left control panel/cluster... In this case the top funtion switch for the LED odometer display. This switch seemed to be broken when it refused to change the functions from Odometer to trip, MPG... After more than a year of this, I decided to address it, or to replace the left control panel.

I determined the switch became Heavily oxidized after water got into/under the switch more than a year earlier. I generously applied my DeOxit spray products all over the funtion switch. You should get at the switch from inside the control panel too. Just remove the two screws that secure the panel cover. Work that button a hundred times or so. I had to re-spray and work that switch a few more times over the next two days, until the oxidation was cleaned and the switch worked consistently.

Partsexpress will sell DeOxit for just 5% of replacing the control panel. Good luck!
I have one better yet .. changed cable clutch to hydraulic on 12 street glide and new levers were 14 and up but didn’t know at the time… when you pull lever on 14 and up it releases switch and 13 down pushes it in … therefore mine decided to start in gear with clutch released and not start with lever pulled .. something to remember if you hear of someone changing levers they fit and clutch works perfectly just no cruise or 6 gear indicator and start issues

·
Registered
1 Posts

Unfortunately, the switch itself is not replaceable and the fix required that I replace the entire switch cluster. Add that to the fact that I could not find anywhere that would sell me just the left side switch cluster. I had to buy both. They retailed for $249 but I found a set online for $206 at Big Sky Harley https://shopbigskyharley.com/products/lighted-hand-control-switches (P/N - 71500250B). Happy wrenching!
∆ THIS!!! ∆ O.P. thanks so much for the explanation and others for cleaning suggestions. This helped me Fix all three symptoms on my Legacy Breakout. Had to adjust the position of the cluster on the left handlebar, slightly when putting back together- to get that button and the clutch interlock to line up in the correct position but replaced nothing and fixed in 10 minutes thanks to this. #KnowledgeIsPower

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi

Hi Flash... thanks for your post, really apreciated.

i have a 2014 cvo ultra limited... the issue its the same (no gear indicator) ... but i can use my Cruise control (activated and deactivated with the clutch),
i have RPM and speddometer... do you know any other solution ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi

Hi Flash... thanks for your post, really apreciated.

i have a 2014 cvo ultra limited... the issue its the same (no gear indicator) ... but i can use my Cruise control (activated and deactivated with the clutch),
i have RPM and speddometer... do you know any other solution ?
I am not suggesting your issue is related to my experience, but want to put it out there…
Just traded in 2016 RGU for a 2022 RG Limited. I had the dealer remove my CB, Garage door opener set up i made and had installed inside fairing and several other items, but the CB work and PTT relocation is what caused my issue. I had flipped my PTT from the right control pack to the left and had the dealer do the same flip on the new bike…long story short, took 3 trips to the dealer to get it right. First test drive after work, CB didn’t work, cruise didn’t work, PTT didn’t work and no gear indication. Second test ride, CB worked, gear indication worked, PTT did not work either side, but cruise worked on both left and right switches. Third attempt all was working, but took it to different dealer…they did not properly set it up with Harley Digital Tech…

You didn’t mention circumstances on when yours stopped displaying the gear,so wanted to throw this info out in case you had any dealership work done where they may have pushed changes in with Digital Tech software…

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Flash3610 may have come and went in a flash, but I find this post very informative. It is these types of threads that make me stick around on the forum. I need all the help I can get, especially with computer-controlled bikes.

I have only had Rex for 2 weeks now and had my first computer issue when I attached a cell phone holder/changer. Evidently when disconnecting the brain to get to the battery, the bike throws a range error which makes the check engine light come on. Being that this is my first computer Harley, I called the service desk who told me to check the manual. Dude did not know how to check codes or reset them (bad training guys). I checked the manual which told me to contact the dealer. Dang it! Luckily, YouTube had the exact video to show me what to do. I would have never figured out the button sequence without it. But once I tickled the buttons in the correct order, the code cleared and did not return.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@Jp7430 @Boog

Hi
yesterday, after read this discussion i went to my bike (after work) and try to startup in 1st gear position, I engage the clutch and

press the buttom and WOOOOW the display show the gear indicator ... I was really excited ... I arrive to my home and turn off the bike...
after I go out to have a little trip on the city, but WTF ... I did (I think) the same to startup the bike but the gear indicator again go off ....

today I will try to find the steps to start up my bike LOL.
Also (independient of the discussion) I discover the bike have a blown leds on the ODO.

i almost forgot ... Jp7430 i didnt move anything or put something new in the bike.

what do you think??

BR

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
70 Posts
@Jp7430 @Boog

Hi
yesterday, after read this discussion i went to my bike (after work) and try to startup in 1st gear position, I engage the clutch and

press the buttom and WOOOOW the display show the gear indicator ... I was really excited ... I arrive to my home and turn off the bike...
after I go out to have a little trip on the city, but WTF ... I did (I think) the same to startup the bike but the gear indicator again go off ....

today I will try to find the steps to start up my bike LOL.
Also (independient of the discussion) I discover the bike have a blown leds on the ODO.

i almost forgot ... Jp7430 i didnt move anything or put something new in the bike.

what do you think??

BR

View attachment 813531
My thinking is this may be what Flash posted references on the clutch switch inside the left handlebar switch pack possibly gotten crusty from past moisture exposure. I believe folks have had luck with contact cleaner saturating the switch, then blowing air with compressor to clean and cycling the switch while doing this. His post was very enlightening about how that clutch switch contributes to this issue. It shouldn’t matter if you are engaging the clutch or not, starting in neutral. You shouldn’t be able to start in gear, even when clutch lever is pulled if it is flaking out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts