Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should you stay in a gear before you shift(5speed)

Sent from my N860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
930 Posts
How long should you stay in a gear before you shift(5speed)

Sent from my N860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Lots of variables but just for basics, just listen to the engine, it will let you know when to shift. Each gear is different as far as how long you can stay in it when getting up to hwy speeds for instance, but for me, around 4k RPM's is when I normally shift. You can hear/ feel when its time after a little time has been spent but I wouldnt worry so much as making sure to not exceed so many RPM's as I would making sure not to LUG the engine. If u switch gears and you feel the engine sputter a bit, the make sure you rev it higher the next time so when you do switch gears you dont fall below 2000-2300rpms

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Lots of variables but just for basics, just listen to the engine, it will let you know when to shift. Each gear is different as far as how long you can stay in it when getting up to hwy speeds for instance, but for me, around 4k RPM's is when I normally shift. You can hear/ feel when its time after a little time has been spent but I wouldnt worry so much as making sure to not exceed so many RPM's as I would making sure not to LUG the engine. If u switch gears and you feel the engine sputter a bit, the make sure you rev it higher the next time so when you do switch gears you do fall below 2000-2300rpms

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

+1 I believe the manual says something along the lines of going for second at 20 mph, 3rd at 30.. etc.. could be wrong, short on coffee.. anyhow its a guideline, one that will not work for my bike, you will have to find what your's likes. Mine likes going for 5th around 2500 plus, on a flat road, normal accel. This translates to 60 mph. When I hit the next gear, if I feel a vibration, means I'm lugging it, I'll glance at the rpms and sure enough, went for it too soon. Long story short you'll need to figure your sweet spot. Mine's got the 5 speed tranny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts