Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all this talk about riding in winter has me thinking about how long it must take you real adventurous types to prepare for a good ride on a cold day.
So tell us, please.

If you are not the winter wonder rider feel free to add your two cents about gearing up any day.

If I want to hurry I can get on the bike in 10 minutes. That means putting on riding pants, boots, jacket, full face helmet, gloves, getting her out of the garage and then getting off to close the garage door.
If I'm dawdling, well, this whole process can take too long. It can get silly if I decide to get out the cloth and clean a spot I'm not happy with before taking off.:)

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Ok, all this talk about riding in winter has me thinking about how long it must take you real adventurous types to prepare for a good ride on a cold day.
So tell us, please.

If you are not the winter wonder rider feel free to add your two cents about gearing up any day.

If I want to hurry I can get on the bike in 10 minutes. That means putting on riding pants, boots, jacket, full face helmet, gloves, getting her out of the garage and then getting off to close the garage door.
If I'm dawdling, well, this whole process can take too long. It can get silly if I decide to get out the cloth and clean a spot I'm not happy with before taking off.:)
Hair. You forgot to mention your hair.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I just layer up so that I can layer down throughout the course of the day.

I can be out the door and on the bike in your ten minutes, or less, on any given day.

Waiting on Herself to get her hair ready is the hold up.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I'm a simple man, I throw on a sweater and then my leather coat over that, some gloves and I'm out the door.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
Getting out of the house and on the road can drain
nearly all of the gumption I got some mornings.
Even not counting dressing in the ColdGear.
Good thing the ride gets my gumption back up so well.

Thanks to the Circle of Chaos that surrounds me....
nothing like adult ADD to keep life interesting.

I have to let 4 dogs and 2 cats out,
and then eventually back in by some combination of 3 back doors,
so right at the end of leaving the house
I have to count noses and check 3 doors.

Chaps and selected interim layer and riding jacket takes 10 min.
Haven't needed long johns yet this year, that adds 10 min.

Putting on chaps means you can't get to stuff in your pocket anymore,
so I have to dig out bike keys, shop and house keys, and not lose them,
and get them into an exterior pocket, Plus phone. Without losing them.

I have pills to take, swallow of coffee to get 'em down,
earplugs to insert, balaclava to put on, helmet and then eyeglasses.
And ya'know, it is possible, nay even probable that I will fumble the necessary order
that success in those tasks requires, maybe several times, every morning.

I go to the shop, unlock it, it has both knob lock and a padlock,
open one of the the big doors, it slides sideways like an airplane hanger,
with a latch on each side and a C-clamp holding the 2 doors together for security in the middle.
Back a bike out, get off. Secure the shop, latches, clamps, doors & locks.

Get on the bike, start the bike,
ride 100 feet to the gate,
put the stand down, get off, open the gate,
get on, ride thru, put the stand down, get off,
close the gate, get on, ride off.

No Wait. Forgot my badge.
Oh yeah and stop for gas, every morning on the V-Rod.
Every morning.

One of my favorite gumption building affirmations is
"This is a test. This is only a test."
And it has been going on forever.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
People at work ask me how come your a little late this morning, You have your motorcycle, isnt that quicker than the car? I will now refer them to the above post for their answer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ride into the 20's and its the same ,watch the weather to determine how many layers I need ,pick out the right t-shirt,get the long johns,right socks and boots,get cover all the necessary clothes on,either the farmers cover alls or the complete suit,then if really cold and a really long ride ,I wear the chaps under the suit,then get the modular or 3/4 helmet out and get to the bike,start the bike to let it warm up,put on the helmet,then either the gauntlet gloves with the liners or the super sized gloves ,get on the bike and crack the biggest smile I can under the helmet fealing the wind blow across the gear I am riding in.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ride into the 20's and its the same ,watch the weather to determine how many layers I need ,pick out the right t-shirt,get the long johns,right socks and boots,get cover all the necessary clothes on,either the farmers cover alls or the complete suit,then if really cold and a really long ride ,I wear the chaps under the suit,then get the modular or 3/4 helmet out and get to the bike,start the bike to let it warm up,put on the helmet,then either the gauntlet gloves with the liners or the super sized gloves ,get on the bike and crack the biggest smile I can under the helmet fealing the wind blow across the gear I am riding in.
Now that is a happy version of a potentially arduous task!

·
Just Ride
239 Posts
Nathang, thumbs up.:popcorn
Slowhound--
"get on the bike and crack the biggest smile I can under the helmet"

Know what you mean

Takes about 15 mim., give or take a few depending on the weather.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just layer up so that I can layer down throughout the course of the day.

I can be out the door and on the bike in your ten minutes, or less, on any given day.

Waiting on Herself to get her hair ready is the hold up.
I'm with ya!! Layers....:rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts