Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum & had basic question. Had bikes for years, have HD Forty-eight that I love as a bar hopper. Am considering a Street Glide for road trips. Was told by long time HD guy that typically you can get XX,XXX miles on a HD before you need serious engine work. I see lots of bikes for sale with 25,000-30,000 miles & was wondering if those sales are because of anticipated engine problems? As a general rule, with a well maintained HD...how many miles is a good average before you need to put serious $$$ into engine repairs? I know there are exceptions...but, what can I anticapate? Thanks guys/gals.

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
I put 92K on my Road King before I traded it in on my 14 Street Glide. I spent about 1K on it at around 89K miles to repair/replace the cam chain tensioner and the cam. Other than that I only had regular service stuff done. My RK was an '04 by the way.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Depends on what you call "serious" work.

An H-D motor is pretty simple. Even the new ones. It's basically a glorified tractor motor.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Ran my Sporty to 40K never needed anything then got my King. Its got 25K on it, replaced the cams because I wanted to, not a need to item. I saw very little wear, only thing to watch was the cam chain tensioners, not a big buck item. I expect an easy 50K more before it actually needs something.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
on my 2004 fxdwg wide glide got about 80,000 nothing but tires and oil change and service on my 07 I did have to have the jugs and pistons but was under warranty so the was at 40000 but not sure that would be the norm have road glide with 45,000 that's just fine 2005 model

·
Registered
701 Posts
I traded my dyna with 60k on it and never did anything but maintenance on it and a few mods to the primary cause '06 was a tricky year for those. I saw it a few weeks ago at a bike meet and spoke with the new owner. It has almost 80k on it now and it's still running strong.

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
2011 Ultra Limited with over 65,000 miles on her (all mine). Amsoil in all three holes, religiously changed every 5000 miles. Doubt I've put $500 of work into the power train. Secret? Ride, ride, ride. The worst thing you can do is let those 103s sit. They are a great motor that loves to run. And by the way, I'm 53 and plan on keeping this baby till I can't ride any longer.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Traded in my '05 Fat Boy with 47,000+ miles on it. Never more than standard maintenance. Ran Amsoil 20W50 in the engine and primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W110 in the tranny. Ran like a champ right up to the day I said goodbye, and probably still is.

·
Banned
85 Posts
New to forum & had basic question. Had bikes for years, have HD Forty-eight that I love as a bar hopper. Am considering a Street Glide for road trips. Was told by long time HD guy that typically you can get XX,XXX miles on a HD before you need serious engine work. I see lots of bikes for sale with 25,000-30,000 miles & was wondering if those sales are because of anticipated engine problems? As a general rule, with a well maintained HD...how many miles is a good average before you need to put serious $$$ into engine repairs? I know there are exceptions...but, what can I anticapate? Thanks guys/gals.
I have 37,000 on my 2010/48 and 118,000 on my 07 nightster

·
Registered
85 Posts
I met a guy on a sharp looking Ultra a few weeks back. He said it was an '08 with 103K on the odometer. I asked him if he ever had any problems with it, he said "naw, just regular maintenance. I'm headed up to D.C. for the Memorial Day ride". Dang.

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
Ran my Sporty to 40K never needed anything then got my King. Its got 25K on it, replaced the cams because I wanted to, not a need to item. I saw very little wear, only thing to watch was the cam chain tensioners, not a big buck item. I expect an easy 50K more before it actually needs something.

What's the verdict on the cam job? You likey?

·
Wayward Son
23,865 Posts
Put over a 100k on an 83 FXWG 80" Shovel.
Bought it new. Crane Fireball cam and springs, Mikuni 40mm carb, 1-3/4" wide open drag pipes.
Swapped to a enclosed belt primary. When I changed the chain on the secondary went with an RK o-ring chain.
Kept the oil and filter changed every 3k. One top end done on it.
Did not beat it but was`t babied either.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I put well over 150k on a 98 (titled 98, motor was 95, I took my time with the build) custom EVO I built. Don't know how many exactly because I have a problem with my bikes, the speedometers and odometers always give out, about every 25k. I just gave up and quit replacing them.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Put 160,000 miles on my 2002 Road King with no serious problems. Only issue was the cam chain tensioners kept going out every 30K+ miles. Put in new Hydraulic cam plate and problem solved. Installed a new engine at 203,000 miles because of a poor choice in mechanics.
Regular service is very important and attention to any minor problems that arise and it will last a lifetime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts