Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was another thread that showed an accident where a rider did a great slide with his bike ... underneath a truck.

But the TRUTH is that most riders today DONT KNOW how to lay down their bike ... as safely as possible.

On the following video, Sean Graham shows HOW you should get the job done ... in the unlikely event that sliding across the asphalt is your best strategy.

dT

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
I prefer to keep mine on two wheels. It stops quicker that way. But you never know when you might hit a slick spot.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old Coot ... just like you ... I prefer to keep the rubber side down on the road :)

I know two guys who have smacked big cruisers into the asphalt. Both of them had traction problems ... one put the front wheel onto white painted lines while braking ... and the other hit his front brake too hard when the asphalt was slick (after a rain shower). In both cases the front wheel panacaked and the bike went down VERY FAST. that kinda stuff happens super fast ... no time to react when your front wheel is gone.

In both cases ... with the front wheel pancake ... the riders got broken ribs. On a large cruiser, when the front tire pancakes - the bike tosses you down hard into the road.

The reason for showing the VIDEO by Graham ... is to remind folks that if you decide to lay down your bike ... lock up the REAR WHEEL. that gives you a chance to slide "gracefully" down the street as the bike goes down. you do need to push the bike away from you. The important thing is to get that rear wheel LOCKED UP - and KEEP it locked up while you go down. Otherwise you can high-side the bike ... and the outcome is a disaster.

dT

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Interesting video. Very skilled rider. But I would guess that you might make it out OK 1 in 1000 times in an emergency situation when a tractor/trailer cut in front of you. If the timing was perfect where you would not hit the jack or rear wheels, you laid it down close enough to slide under the trailer completely and did not take off your head or get run over by the back wheels. Maybe

But I guess that 1 in 1000 odds are better than nothing. JMO

·
Registered
11,160 Posts
Interesting video. Never had to do that. Don't know if I could. I mean, it's not something you would get to practice much. But...., can you still do something like that with ABS brakes?

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Interesting video. Never had to do that. Don't know if I could. I mean, it's not something you would get to practice much. But...., can you still do something like that with ABS brakes?
Good question. I doubt it. Dam - There goes my possible 1 in 1000 chance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I prefer to keep mine on two wheels. It stops quicker that way. But you never know when you might hit a slick spot.
I am with you Old Coot, I have spent 50+ years riding on two wheels and my objective has always been to keep the bike up and on the rubber.
I have heard of riders "laying it down", I have always considered these riders to be for the most part inexperienced riders with few miles under their belt.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I have no intention of ever doing that, let alone learning how to do it. I'm 61 years old with two metal hips and a torn apart knee. If I go down, it will be unintentional and the funniest break dancing you'll ever see.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive got to agree with some earlier comments ... you'd have to be VERY lucky to pull off the "stunt" shown in the video. And like the guy Sean Graham said - this takes balls and 100% lot of commitment. The timing has to be right, and also the placement of the path of the bike under the truck.

The main value of the video is just to demonstrate the proper way for "laying down" a bike. It gets that message across well.

Hope that nobody here ever needs to do this :)

dT

·
Registered
257 Posts
While applicable I cant help but wonder how you could possibly do that with ABS/Linked brakes? Precludes locking rear wheel.......that's what my spidey sense is telling me.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Don't try this with a crash bar equipped bike. Crash bars prevent the bike from laying down far enough that the tires stay completely away from the ground. Most "low side" accidents with crash bars turn into "high sides" when the tires touch and stand the bike back up.

I'm still gonna stay with hard on the brakes and keeping the rubber side down up to the point of impact.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I kinda figure when someone tells me they had to lay her on down they screwed up, lost control, and don't want to admit it even to them selves.

·
Wayward Son
23,350 Posts
I have heard of riders "laying it down", I have always considered these riders to be for the most part inexperienced riders with few miles under their belt.
I call BS. Your inexperienced rider comment is way out of line and dead wrong.
The things that can happen out there to a rider in a split second border on being innumerable.
Your statement says to me that it is you who are inexperienced, and\or, a bit too arrogant in your own perceived riding skills.

Having said that. I truly hope you never have to find out and have them tested to the max, point of failure.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there's a couple of things that are worth talking about ...

first, go back and take a look at the other video ("Guy barely misses getting hit by semi") showing the accident where the guy really does lay his bike down - and go under the truck. take a CAREFUL look at the timing. that whole accident goes down VERY fast. If you're the kind of rider who says "I will always slow down and avoid accidents by braking" ... then I'm telling you that sometimes you've only got 1-2 seconds to make the decision and get ON the brakes. If your brain is operating at 95% some day, instead of 100%, that may be all it takes for you to lose those 2 seconds of reaction time. and then you are on a collision course with a large truck.

For me personally, I always aim to increase my skill set. I try to stay humble, and believe that if cr*p can happen to other riders, then sooner or later it can happen to me too. I dont wanna go sliding across the asphalt - but if ever I have to ... I'd like to know HOW.

the second thing ... is the engine guards. Good point. does this mean that the bike will always high-side? I dunno. I was wondering why the guy (Sean Graham) lays his bike down on its LEFT side ... maybe it would be better to lay it down on the pipes (RIGHT side), so the pipes scrape the asphalt and lift the rear wheel off the ground for sure. I'm still thinking about that. So I cant tell ya about the engine guard thing - could depend on what type of guards youve got on your bike.

dT

·
Registered
336 Posts
As for having ABS. You can still hammer the rear brake, lean your weight to the left lay it down and push the bike away. not that anyone would want too, but it is still WAAAAY better than going over the high side
JMO The comments about the crash/highway bars are absolutely correct though. I just hope that none of us ever have to attempt such a thing!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I call BS. Your inexperienced rider comment is way out of line and dead wrong.
The things that can happen out there to a rider in a split second border on being innumerable.
Your statement says to me that it is you who are inexperienced, and\or, a bit too arrogant in your own perceived riding skills.

Having said that. I truly hope you never have to find out and have them tested to the max, point of failure.
When you lay a bike down it is called a crash. You have a right to your opinion though. I may be indeed arrogant, I ride all year long and have for over 50 years so if that is inexperience so be it.

:)

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
When i made my 1st. post, I hadn't watched the video. Under those conditions, you wouldn't have a lot of time or choices. I would rather try and slide under than get decapitated for sure. I haven't ever given much thought about crash bars causing high-siding. But it makes sense. The abs issue merits some thought. Before I t-boned the trailer, I would be trying to un-ass the bike in some form or fashion. Then try to keep it off me. Good thread. I'll be giving all this some more thought. Y'all ride safe and enjoy. :ride

·
Registered
803 Posts
I was wondering why the guy (Sean Graham) lays his bike down on its LEFT side ... maybe it would be better to lay it down on the pipes (RIGHT side), so the pipes scrape the asphalt and lift the rear wheel off the ground for sure. I'm still thinking about that. So I cant tell ya about the engine guard thing - could depend on what type of guards youve got on your bike.

dT
Bike is laid down on the left side because the rider needs his right foot to hold the rear brake on.

This is just a demonstration video on how to put your bike into a slide the proper way (if needed). The pavement has even been watered to make sure he goes into a full slide.

A Bike has a shorter stopping distance when it is on two wheels, however there are many different circumstances that may require sliding the bike. You have a split second to decide, hopefully you choose the right one.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
I'm not sure the crash bars would hurt you in a slide or turn a low into a high side. After all, the tires had to be sliding to get to the crash bars to begin with. I think they improve the chances of you not getting pinned in a low side. I dunno.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts