Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need a little advice ,

bike is a 2010 road king , 1000 miles , just had a full service done ,plus a stage one , pipes are true duals V & H 4 inch , air breather is RSD , plus they told me i needed a tuner , got a screaming eagle one , the local HD shop did the work

love the sound , can notice a little pick up , all in all , happy

i notice that when i'm a little high in rev's going from one gear to the next it will sometime sounds like a pop or backfire , thats the only time it does it , if i take it easy and more gentle on it , it don't seem to do it ,

i don't have a tach to say what my rpm's are , i'll just say i'd sooner them be a bit high then lagging is the way i'v been driving my bike

one last thing , i'v been burning 94 octane gas in it , not sure if that would cause it ,

do you think i need to take it in and maybe get it on a test stand and pay to have it tuned up on a dyno

or just keep riding it and ease off a bit on the high RPM's

thanks for your opinion

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Depends on which tuner you got, if it's the race tuner, a dyno tune will do you good. If it's the "street tuner" you're locked into EPA specs for the tune (lean). Did the dealer do a dyno tune? They usually do with the SERT ( Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner).

As far as the popping, I'm no expert but, with the long pipes on a dresser, you shouldn't get much if the bike is tuned properly.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Normal for a pop once in a while between shifts, I would not worry about it.
A dyno tune will get you a little better performance, but if you are happy with it I say not necessary.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Usually when they do the race tuner they will put it on the dyno. If they didn't you would gain a little by having them put it on the dyno.
And exhaust leak well also cause popping.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just dug out the tuner , it's orange and says screaming eagle , '' super tuner pro '' on it
part number is 32109-08C

the dealer did not do a dyno tune on it , just a down load as far as i was told , i'm 100% sure they never put it on a dyno as i asked ,

i will go over the exhaust job , front to back and make sure everything is tighten up ,

it don't do it at all like i said if i just ease off a bit , the bike seems to have lots of power and i like the sound of them pipes , rumbles , just want to make sure i don't damage it in case it's to lean or to rich ,

how long would they need to have it on a dyno to run and test it , ? 1 hour

i don't think that 94 octane would have any thing to do with the popping or small backfire

·
Registered
122 Posts
Around here the last time I had mine Dyno'd it was $200 reguardless if it took 10 minutes or 2 hrs. I have a Power commander on mine, the first one went bad after a year and it was put on dyno, the 2nd power commander was installed and dyno'd and its been fine for the past 3 years never the less each time the dealer put it on dyno.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts