Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a new member and thought I would start here. I have noticed that about 95% of this site has male members so if there are any females out there, please chime in.

I am a 41 yo female (married only 3 yrs) and decided 8 years ago to just get up and go to a MSF class and get my license. Passed #1 in my class and only female. I purchased a 1200Custom (Im a larger lady but only 5'2). Had previous experience on some 3 and 4 wheelers riding in my youth but that was it. The Harley dealership that sold me the bike had no morals or conscience selling me a bike like that. I got home, rode it a couple times, felt unsafe and sold it. Way to top heavy and it just didn't feel right. I was tippy-toe and NO, I HAVE NEVER DROPPED A BIKE......YET! After that, I decided that all this hard work was not going to waste so I purchased a smaller Vulcan 500 and again, I sold that within months and only rode it a couple times. Depression settled in and it all goes back to that horrible experience I had with the HD dealer.

Now, 8 years later and now married, some things have changed and some have not. I have had the opportunity to find 2 guys that have larger bikes and they take me VERY rarely for a ride just to get some wind therapy. I decided to go to the local HD dealer for their Bootcamp (which was not available when I got my license). This program was for people thinking of getting their license and wanting more info. I was the only one that already had their license but the staff was great and I learned alot. The staff could not believe after I showed them the pic of my bike that I actually could ride it! They said that if I could ride that and never dropped it that I could ride almost ANY bike they had...LOL! Anyways, I also plan on going to what is called their Garage Party for females only next month. These are the things that have changed: I'm out there meeting new people, educating myself even more and participating in classes that HD now offers. What has not changed is the fact that I am still attending bike nights and rallies alone and I am also alone in reaching my goal in getting another HD.

I have read alot on these forums and learned from them. Most of the people on here do alot of the work on their bikes by themselves, are part of a club or just have that special group of guy friends. Me being female, am willing to learn but NOT HAVING THAT SUPPORT FROM HOME is a very big deal. My hubby wants nothing to do with the bikes and I am basically on my own.(This is where a females perspective would come in handy).

My plan is to take the MSF course again (even though I have my license because it has been so long) and then get another HD. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until we move which could be in 2-3 years but in the meantime I will continue to learn what I can, even without an iron horse of my own.

Any comments or insight/ideas is greatly appreciated! :thanks

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
You're not alone anymore.

This is a tale of woe to me. NOBODY who wants to be riding should be denied of that. No way!!

This is in the future I know, but look for these models when shopping for a Sportster (assuming you want a sportster again)

Low
Hugger
Iron
Nightster

These models all have the lowest seat heights of Sportster from 1990 to present

They are a good starting point
Keep in mind too, you can lower any bike further with suspension stuff if you need to. That custom you had, though too tall, could have been lowered to make it workable for you most likely, maybe not. I can almost guarantee if you got a Hugger (2000ish to 2008 or 09) you would be able to touch the ground pretty well. Then with a little lower shocks it would be perfect. You can also buy lowering seats and a shorter tire even if you have to. It can be done. So when you are ready to buy talk to us, ask us. PM me with questions I'll be happy to answer. I have helped short people (no offense he he he) get riding safely. There are things that can be done to make your ride safe, enjoyable, and to make it on a harley!!

If finances don't permit buying a Harley right now I personally buy a 250 or a 500 Kawasaki or Honda cruiser. Cheap, and at least you're in the wind! Then one day you can buy the Harley you want and as a bonus you will be all ready to enjoy it right out of the box so to speak. You won't have to worry about it because you will have experience. I don't normally recommend? Beater bikes) for people do start out on for a few reasons, but in this situation I think you would do yourself a lot of good to get a bike you can afford and ride for now. Get those dreams in motion. Today!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,383 Posts
Id say you need to try out the sporty superlow or maybe even a fatboy low or a softail deluxe, they are about the lowest of everything harley has. As far as hubby not interested, oh well, he can sit in.the kitchen and cook and clean, while your out in the garage drinkng beers and working on the bike and riding in the wind, thats a guys perspective but thats what i did when i was dating someone that wasnt interested, fortunately my soon to be wife loves the bike. You keep going and hanging around at the dealer and youll find some friends to ride with. Only issue i could foresee would be issues between you and hubby if he gets jealous of all the biker guys you hang around with. just a word of caution there.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
For starters, it's nice to meet you. Too bad your hubby isn't into bikes, but I bet he's great at whatever else he does that you love him for. I don't know how tall or heavy you are but if you can, try to find no less than a 450 & up cruiser. A 250 will get you out there but for the price difference, I'd recomend the 400 plus cc bike.
I knew a bunch of girls who's husbands/boyfriends had bikes, one wife bought a honda cruiser and learned and got her endorsment. Then she sold it to her girlfriend and bought a Harley. Each girl did the same thing until they all had Harleys. (nurses) Some started on Sportsters others on Dynas and they all loved them. 2 of the girls now own bigass Ultras. They all ride together in thier little click, and it's cool.
Who know's maybe when you get a Harley you might take a second look at your husband and toss him to the curb and go on an extended ride and find a good man. Not meaning me.
Yeah, I said it.
You can always find a man but a good man owns a Harley.

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not alone anymore.

This is a tale of woe to me. NOBODY who wants to be riding should be denied of that. No way!!

This is in the future I know, but look for these models when shopping for a Sportster (assuming you want a sportster again)

Low
Hugger
Iron
Nightster

These models all have the lowest seat heights of Sportster from 1990 to present

They are a good starting point
Keep in mind too, you can lower any bike further with suspension stuff if you need to. That custom you had, though too tall, could have been lowered to make it workable for you most likely, maybe not. I can almost guarantee if you got a Hugger (2000ish to 2008 or 09) you would be able to touch the ground pretty well. Then with a little lower shocks it would be perfect. You can also buy lowering seats and a shorter tire even if you have to. It can be done. So when you are ready to buy talk to us, ask us. PM me with questions I'll be happy to answer. I have helped short people (no offense he he he) get riding safely. There are things that can be done to make your ride safe, enjoyable, and to make it on a harley!!

If finances don't permit buying a Harley right now I personally buy a 250 or a 500 Kawasaki or Honda cruiser. Cheap, and at least you're in the wind! Then one day you can buy the Harley you want and as a bonus you will be all ready to enjoy it right out of the box so to speak. You won't have to worry about it because you will have experience. I don't normally recommend? Beater bikes) for people do start out on for a few reasons, but in this situation I think you would do yourself a lot of good to get a bike you can afford and ride for now. Get those dreams in motion. Today!!!

Finances is not the issue here. It is moreso an understanding between me and my husband. No bike until we move.

When I was at the Bootcamp, I sat on a Softail Slim and I did not want to get off. The whole time I was talking with the staff (20 minutes or so) I had no idea, until he mentioned it, that I was holding up the bike the whole time. The low center of gravity made me feel so comfortable and the low seat brought me "into" the bike like I was a part of it. I was flat-footed in sneekers! He also said it's a myth in regards to if a beginner rider wants a HD it has to be the smaller CC Sportsters when in fact, it's what YOU feel comfortable on. The Sportsters are top heavy and I do not see myself getting another one, but, I will do some research on some of the models you mentioned. I also like the Switchback (Dyna) but they did not have one on the floor.

I would also prefer getting a bike I feel comfortable on right from the bat than purchase a bike thats to high and uncomfortable to the point that I cannot even test ride it. Thats a whole other story and I plan on posting a new thread on questions regarding this issue as well as the battle between getting a smaller bike to learn on -vs- the bike you want and feel comfortable on.

Attached is a pic of my 04'. If you click on it, you should be able to get a larger image...oh and did I mention that I also had to deal with forward controls? UGH!

Attachments

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id say you need to try out the sporty superlow or maybe even a fatboy low or a softail deluxe, they are about the lowest of everything harley has. As far as hubby not interested, oh well, he can sit in.the kitchen and cook and clean, while your out in the garage drinkng beers and working on the bike and riding in the wind, thats a guys perspective but thats what i did when i was dating someone that wasnt interested, fortunately my soon to be wife loves the bike. You keep going and hanging around at the dealer and youll find some friends to ride with. Only issue i could foresee would be issues between you and hubby if he gets jealous of all the biker guys you hang around with. just a word of caution there.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
I sat on a Softail Slim and did not want to get off...I also like the Switchback but they did not have one on the floor. I took advantage of getting on one while I attended the HD Bootcamp and I plan on going to the Garage Party for ladies only next month.

As far as jealously. Thats not an issue. I have been riding as a passenger on 2 other male friends bikes VERY rarely for 2 years (this being the 2nd year). He knew when we got married it was a passion of mine and if he chooses not to be a part of it, so be it. I'm trying this year to get him to go to some bike nights and shows so he can really experience the culture and get some idea of what its about (outside of actually being on the bike itself). As far as hanging out with a group of bikers, I guess we will see what happens WHEN it happens. There are tons of clubs as well as women only clubs to. We will cross that bridge I get there.

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For starters, it's nice to meet you. Too bad your hubby isn't into bikes, but I bet he's great at whatever else he does that you love him for. I don't know how tall or heavy you are but if you can, try to find no less than a 450 & up cruiser. A 250 will get you out there but for the price difference, I'd recomend the 400 plus cc bike.
I knew a bunch of girls who's husbands/boyfriends had bikes, one wife bought a honda cruiser and learned and got her endorsment. Then she sold it to her girlfriend and bought a Harley. Each girl did the same thing until they all had Harleys. (nurses) Some started on Sportsters others on Dynas and they all loved them. 2 of the girls now own bigass Ultras. They all ride together in thier little click, and it's cool. I would love to have a girlfriend with a Harley of her own.
Who know's maybe when you get a Harley you might take a second look at your husband and toss him to the curb and go on an extended ride and find a good man.
Yeah, I said it.
You can always find a man but a good man owns a Harley.
Well, in my original post I did say that I was only 5'2. As far as weight, well I do look silly on an 883 and the smaller bikes. That would be like seeing Rosanne Barr on a tri-cycle...lol! Anyways, I tried to attach a pic of me here and it didnt work. Bummer! I'll see if I can change my avatar in the meantime.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I would have a real hard time with that 2 year agreement if I was passionate about having a bike as you sound. Just sayin, might want to renegotiate that one

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have a real hard time with that 2 year agreement if I was passionate about having a bike as you sound. Just sayin, might want to renegotiate that one
It's really not the time frame, it's when we can sell our current residence and move to a home with a garage or large shed. Could be 6 months, could be 1-2 years. We now live in a townhome community with no garage or safe area to keep the bike, so it does make sense. Yes, there are storage units around the area but dont trust them. I hear about break-ins all the time. Also to drive 20-25 minutes to see my "baby" is to far....lol! Once I am settled in with a garage, I can wake up with a cup of coffee in the morning and sit in the garage with her reading the newspaper. It will happen and I want it right...hopefully the vision I have will come real close to becoming reality.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Much luck to you in finding the right ride!

And your husband is really missing out...... I should have my girlfriend talk to you. She won't get her own bike, period, not gunna happen. I'd love to have a biker babe beside me on her bike rather than behind me on mine. But that's just me.

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a Switchback last year and ended up trading that in on a Slim.
I believe the Slim has the lowest seat of any bike in the HD lineup right now. I think you'd like it....

Can you tell me the pros and cons of each bike? Its obvious that one is a softail and the other a Dyna but what made ya buy the switchback in the first place? Why then did ya trade it in on the slim? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
you have your license rent one just my input try a deluxe or street bob low center of gravity if you fine the one you want park it in living room that will help sell the house

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome aboard.Sound's like you have a real passon to ride.
Yes I do sparks. I was there, confident and ready to roll 8 years ago when all it took was one bad experience to screw that all to heck. Not this time. Getting involved as much as I can is kinda hard when your not a bike owner. I attend shows, rallies, bike nights, etc and always by myself...ALWAYS! :( I'm use to it, will go up and talk to anyone. Trying to prepare myself this way BEFORE the big day comes when I take the refresher safety course and then buy my bike so I am not alone like I was before. If I cannot get the support from home, then I will find it somewhere else (HOG chapter, local rides, ladies club, etc). I'd rather meet people with the same interest giving me positive vibes saying "YOU CAN DO IT" rather than coming home hearing "YOUR GONNA KILL YOURSELF".

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you have your license rent one just my input try a deluxe or street bob low center of gravity if you fine the one you want park it in living room that will help sell the house
I thought about renting or even a lease but around here the only dealer I could find that does that is in DE. And If I came home with my bike and he saw it in the living room, me and the bike would be in the back yard living in a tent..lol!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Can you tell me the pros and cons of each bike? Its obvious that one is a softail and the other a Dyna but what made ya buy the switchback in the first place? Why then did ya trade it in on the slim? Just curious.
I bought the '12 Switchback for the quick-release bags and windshield.
At that point I was trading up from a Sportster Superlow, which was just too small.
I liked the idea of having the best of both worlds, being able to strip it down to a cruiser in about a minute...
But that bike had issues.
Seems like it spent more time in the shop than in my garage.
In all fairness, some of the problems came with the bike, others were compounded by a less-than-top-notch dealer...

Anyway, long story short, the problems escalated to the point that H-D got involved.
They ended up buying it back - at which time I made the trade for the '13 Slim.
You might buy a Switchback and love it, it's a fine ride - mine was just plagued with a strange series of bad luck...
I love the Slim - I plan on keeping this one forever, even if I get another bike some day.
And it's a far smoother ride than the SwB was...

Here's the BEFORE and AFTER:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If I had to wait that long to buy a bike, I would do like you said, take the safety course as soon as I could and then start renting a few different bikes over the summer to see what I really liked. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts