Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2012 Rk back after two weeks at the dealer and they charged me $1800 for the first service and a set of V&h big shot duals with download and high flow air filter. Included in the price was $623 in labor. Now they call me and tell me dude didn't put the high flow air filter in and did the download so ill need to come back and pick up the filter, have them install and then (here's where it gets good)... If I put the hi flow filter in I will need a tuner. Of course I told dude I wanted V&h fuelpak initially, he says I don't need. So now, the dealer rep tells me they will give me %20 off and the amount of the download for an official HD Tuner.. I was cool with that until he told me the tuner was $450.. So all in its $220 more for them to fix this right.. But the hd site itself lists the screaming eagle tuner around $250.. Does this sound right? I was thinking of just going w/ the fuelpak and doing it myself.. This is getting stupid.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
If they did the download it should have been for a stage 1 which includes hi-flo air cleaner.
I would take it back and have them put on the air cleaner and ride it.
If you are happy ok, if not get the SERT have her dynode and you'll be set.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got my 2012 Rk back after two weeks at the dealer and they charged me $1800 for the first service and a set of V&h big shot duals with download and high flow air filter. Included in the price was $623 in labor. Now they call me and tell me dude didn't put the high flow air filter in and did the download so ill need to come back and pick up the filter, have them install and then (here's where it gets good)... If I put the hi flow filter in I will need a tuner. Of course I told dude I wanted V&h fuelpak initially, he says I don't need. So now, the dealer rep tells me they will give me %20 off and the amount of the download for an official HD Tuner.. I was cool with that until he told me the tuner was $450.. So all in its $220 more for them to fix this right.. But the hd site itself lists the screaming eagle tuner around $250.. Does this sound right? I was thinking of just going w/ the fuelpak and doing it myself.. This is getting stupid.

450.00 is what I paid for the tuner. 302.00 for the dyno time. But I installed all of the parts on my slim. Screming Eagle oval air filter and krome werks mufflers. In MHO the only real reason to have a tuner is to store the original map so you can start over if you have to. There are hundreds of settings in the software, I you don't know what they are you can really screw it up. My 50 yrs of workin on bikes told me to let them do it. Because the last thing I needed to do was burn down an engine. Cost about $5000.00 to replace it. Aldo if they do the tuning and it fails there is warranty. If you do it there is no warranty and the repairs come out of your wallet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If they didn't install the Hi Flo A/C and did the download, then they should install the A/C like they were suppose to in the first place and the expense of another download is on them. If you didn't want the tuner in the first place, and they tell you that you have now got to have one, they are full of crap. A tuner and dyno is the best way to go if you want to go the expense, but sounds to me they are just trying to make more money off of you and to cover their ass on their initial screw up.

·
Señor Member
19,598 Posts
Like sickness said, if you already got the download, you're ready to accept that better a/c without jacking with the computer.

If it runs bad, then consider a fuel manager and a dyno tune.

The download should be sufficient to support improved air in (a/c) and improved air out (exhaust) with adequate additional fuel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If they didn't install the Hi Flo A/C and did the download, then they should install the A/C like they were suppose to in the first place and the expense of another download is on them. If you didn't want the tuner in the first place, and they tell you that you have now got to have one, they are full of crap. A tuner and dyno is the best way to go if you want to go the expense, but sounds to me they are just trying to make more money off of you and to cover their ass on their initial screw up.
Like Ben said, if they didn't do what you paid them to do in the first place it's up to them to correct it.... If the stage one has worked on LOTS of other bikes without having to buy a tuner then why would you need too???? It sounds like they screwed up and are now trying to recoupe some costs, not that I know this for sure, but that is what it is sounding like to me from what you have posted...
Bottom line, if they provided you with what they quoted and it is working correctly, then it is on you. If they quoted you a job, DIDN'T do it correctly/ provided what they said they were going to, then it is up to them to fix.... If what you have posted is what transpired, then do not accept NO for an answer, have them make it right..
Good luck and don't take no for an answer...

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
this is the very reason I bought a CVT pro tuner fi2000. What ever I do to the bike in upgrades it handles and adjust for. Sure it was 599.00 but I do not have to have dyno time and downloads so cheaper to me in the long run.
I installed it today. works great!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, when I spoke to the dealer he says they already did the download bug just forgot the hi flow filter I said no problem, ill pick it up and throw it in myself.. Then dude says I need a tuner... Hahaha!! Says the previous rep that wrote up the ticket was wrong when he said I didn't need a tuner.. So that's why he's no longer with the dealer and they're under new management.. So instead of heading out for a three day ride it will be 1.5 after I go back for this bs tomorrow am.. Thanks again riders

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Yeah, when I spoke to the dealer he says they already did the download bug just forgot the hi flow filter I said no problem, ill pick it up and throw it in myself.. Then dude says I need a tuner... Hahaha!! Says the previous rep that wrote up the ticket was wrong when he said I didn't need a tuner.. So that's why he's no longer with the dealer and they're under new management.. So instead of heading out for a three day ride it will be 1.5 after I go back for this bs tomorrow am.. Thanks again riders

If you have the download you don't NEED a tuner, just ride that mo fo.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I am so proud of you guys that a thread titled, "Getting Hosed on Pipes" has made it to the second page without mention of Hose or Pipe!

You're all grows up.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
I am so proud of you guys that a thread titled, "Getting Hosed on Pipes" has made it to the second page without mention of Hose or Pipe!

You're all grows up.

you probably ought to head back over to the dryer vent thread....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went back to the stealer first thing Saturday am and they turned me around in less than 45 min with a steep discount on a screamin' eagle super tuner pro.. No more decel pop and my bike sounds like a dragster!! Buttdyno clocks 5 additional horsepowers at least and women, babies, and dogs seem to love it.. Not looking forward to the stage 2 for loss of fuel economy but happy with my new setup.. Good looking out on the input y'all! Ride on..

·
Señor Member
19,598 Posts
Now that is a nice outcome, particularly if you wanted a fuel manager anyway. Well done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts