Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting rid of the ugly brushed aluminum on the Street Bobs battery cover. The only thing I have seen people do is remove it and put plugs in the holes or just leave them open, I have also seen them painted. So today I decided I would do something with mine. I decided to paint it so I got some good high gloss paint and put a coat on. I waited until I thought it was dry enough for a second coat, well it wasn't the paint reacted with the first coat and krinkled. Now I am thinking I am back to square one + cleaning the bad paint off.

Then while I am pondering the different approaches to my situation and the work involved with those approaches, it hits me what could you replace the aluminum with. Leather, that's what I have decided to go with.

So far in my mind it looks real good. I will post pics as I get it done.

One idea is leather strip with two pieces of real chrome barb wire with the leather died black.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First I cut and trimed to fit, soaked the leather and tied it to the cover and let it dry over night.

Here the leather is shaped and ready to be worked and dyed.

Dyed

Finished I need to rub in some good conditioner and get some of the install marks out.

The Iron Cross is connected with a screw through a hole I drilled, the wrapped ends are connected by screw rivets through more holes I drilled.

I still have a little more to do, think I am going to wrap the left side cover also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.