Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
One might say I suck at slow speed maneuvering--its an inner ear thing--but somehow I manage to keep her up when moving. Standing still or nearly still is a different thing.
Beware of grease spots or sand/gravel under foot.
:cool:

·
weird member
2,774 Posts
It just takes practice and getting used to it. Start out easy and progressively try to get tighter and tighter, slower, faster, etc, just don't push too hard, too fast.

I won't pretend to be remotely this good, but I can do a full lock u-turn in either direction. Can't really do tight figure 8s or anything like that, but I also never practiced doing that or any of that police course level riding. Though, I'm also on a softail and not a full bagger, so it's easier for me.

Was on FB and my local Harley dealer posted this and I made me think of this thread:

·
Registered
2007 Ultra Classic (Sophie) vivid black
97 Posts
Practice putting the bike exactly where you want it every time. Pick the spot where you want the front tire to be when you stop. Making a right from a dead stop use the lines in the crosswalk to measure and tighten up the turn radius. Practice emergency stops. It's amazing how light a big bagger feels when some asshat makes you have to lock up the brakes.
With a little bit of practice you can do the same thing on the glide that you can do with the metric.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think the most important thing that I've learned is, look where you're going! Not meaning looking out for traffic or just paying attention. I mean if you're coming up to a turn or, making a U-turn, look right at where you want to go. And plus 1 on Jerry's video's! Stay safe and practice whenever you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have heard this a lot
Why not just use 40lbs factory is there a drawback?
So this was very helpful!
I checked my tire pressure. Rear was right at 40
Front was 30!!!! (Instead of factory rec of 36)
I put it at 40 and wow what a difference!
Now when I turn the handlebars and enter the friction zone the bike turns instead of me fighting to keep the handlebars turned. Would not have thought it would make that much difference but it felt like a much lighter bike.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So this was very helpful!
I checked my tire pressure. Rear was right at 40
Front was 30!!!! (Instead of factory rec of 36)
I put it at 40 and wow what a difference!
Now when I turn the handlebars and enter the friction zone the bike turns instead of me fighting to keep the handlebars turned. Would not have thought it would make that much difference but it felt like a much lighter bike.
Now that you tried it at 40 psi, making the bike "feel" lighter. Pump it up to the factory recommended 65 psi. You will be very surprised how much lighter yet, it will feel.
I maintain the Ultra's front tire pressure at 63 to 65 psi and keep the back spot on the recommended 40 psi.
With the sporty, I just keep both at the recommended pressure.

We ride the twisty back roads as much as possible, using the super slab just to get near the fun roads. So losing just a couple psi on my front tire, just gives me a bit more artificial confidence in that contact patch between the front tire and that sharp curve... I know it's all a head game!

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Now that you tried it at 40 psi, making the bike "feel" lighter. Pump it up to the factory recommended 65 psi. You will be very surprised how much lighter yet, it will feel.
I maintain the Ultra's front tire pressure at 63 to 65 psi and keep the back spot on the recommended 40 psi.

We ride the twisty back roads as much as possible, using the super slab just to get near the fun roads. So losing just a couple psi on my front tire, just gives me a bit more artificial confidence in that contact patch between the front tire and that sharp curve... I know it's all a head game!

Where on earth did you get the idea that the front tire pressure should be 63 to 65 psi??????

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yeah, think my book says 36. 65 seems a touch high.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts

Are you nutz?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Are you nutz?
Where on earth did you get the idea that the front tire pressure should be 63 to 65 psi??????
I must be! I know damn well the front tire pressure is 36 psi....yet for some silly reason, my mind got stuck on 65..
I have no defense for that bone head idea!
My apologies to everyone!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I must be! I know damn well the front tire pressure is 36 psi....yet for some silly reason, my mind got stuck on 65..
I have no defense for that bone head idea!
My apologies to everyone!
No sweat---I have a mind fart at least once a day.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I run 38 front and 42 rear on the Ultra, with spouse on, I can drag floorboards with confidence (mine, not so much hers)!

Reactions: 1/2 Ton and Kainam

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I run 38 front and 42 rear on the Ultra, with spouse on, I can drag floorboards with confidence (mine, not so much hers)!
I know well how that sounds... I may be deaf but, when i dragged both boards on a tight S turn, with the wife riding pillion... I could hear her "SLOW THE F**** DOWN" just as plain as day! So i decided to mellow the run a bit. She was scared of riding her own bike on that same road (because of that one incident) three weeks later... So i had her lead. 🙃

Reactions: slingshot383
21 - 33 of 33 Posts