Harley Davidson Forums banner

Getting used to slow speed touring bike

9K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  1/2 Ton 
#1 ·
Have been riding off and on foe 25 years
Recently moved up from an 1100cc 550lb metric to my dream bike brand new Street Glide. Have been riding it around the neighborhood and parking lot but just can’t get over the fear of dropping it at low speed. Have watched the ride like a pro videos and practiced the drills. The bike is just so much heavier feeling in the front end than what I am accustomed to and when I go to make a tight turn from stop I tend to straighten up and make too wide turns. I am trying all the tricks, vision, etc I know it’s all in my head but wonders if anyone had any words of encouragement or advice about how king it took you to get used to a big bike.
Till then I’m still on my metric.

#5 ·
I can totally appreciate your apprehension! I am moving up from a Yamaha 1100 to a Road King. It's 200lbs heavier and just bigger all around. I haven't been able to drive it yet (I rode "bitch" the day we picked it up), just waiting for the weather and roads to improve a bit. I have been watching a ton of YouTube vids for tips and I am going to practice in a big parking lot before I head downtown on it. It's also brand spanking new so I really don't want to drop it or drive it into something! :eek: My hubby has a 2015 Street Glide and I know how heavy that big batwing is when going slow and maneuvering in parking lots. It will also feel different for you when riding on the highway and those big gusts of wind hit you. You've been doing this for 25 years....you've got this dude!

#6 ·
First, go ahead and just drop it so that you get that fear out of the way. Everybody has done it at least once, some multiple times. Hint: find a dirt road or grassy area so that you don’t scratch anything. The practice of lifting it back up (watched those videos yet?) will add to your confidence and determination. Also, don’t limit your riding to slow speed maneuvers. Find a country road and get lost for a few hours, it will help you get familiar with the handling.

Second, quit using your metric as a crutch. For the next two months, if you’re going to ride, do it on the Street Glide.

Third, start shopping for a new seat and rear shocks. Those will be the next things that bug you about the bike, so you may as well get a running start.

Fourth, if the Street Glide doesn’t work out, there are plenty of folks on here who will buy it at 50 cents on the dollar.

Seriously, you’ve got this, just need continued riding to get familiar.

#7 ·
I agree with Radar.

I never went thru that.
I jumped right in the a full Dresser.
So I really never had the fear of dropping it bother me .
Not saying I didn’t drop it lol.
I use to practice my slow riding at the park during the day.
By my self for learning how enter the slow race contests.
Even at a stop sign or red light I would see how long I could hold her up just for fun.
It’s a lot different if you have a passenger [emoji849].
Stop thinking about it and ride.
Your going to drop it every one does.[emoji23]
Like what was said PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Do what you have to do to make the Bike your own an for you.
Don’t worry about what everyone else does.
Enjoy your bike an get out there an Ride.
Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
+1
The front of the SG “grabs” a lot less at low speeds w/ the extra 4PSI. Maybe it’s just a newbie “cheat,” but I thought it made for a bit less fighting and more enjoying w/ ”extra” air in the front.

#14 ·
All great advice right there!
I got over the fear of dropping it on the initial ride home... My fear, is picking it back up! Hence the name 1/2 Ton 🤫

Check the tire pressure, if its a tad low, it steers like a train. Keep ur fingers away from that front brake when practicing slow speed maneuvers! I bounce back and forth between the Ultra and the Sporty, the sporty is easier to toss around in the slow work and just feels more nimble. But the Ultra will make the same maneuvers. You may find it a bit easier to run the parking lot trials either with more RPM or even in 2nd gear running at the lower rpms. Personally i prefer to run it in first gear with more throttle. NOT any more speed, just more throttle.

Switch up the choices for find what works best for you. Try watching Jerry's Motorcycle Dancing video... and listen to the rps. Donna keeps hers steady while Jerry is constantly blipping the throttle. Both are at the exact same speed. The waltz cuts out at 2:33 for just enough time to hear the differences in their techniques.

#17 ·
All great advice right there!
I got over the fear of dropping it on the initial ride home... My fear, is picking it back up! Hence the name 1/2 Ton 🤫

Check the tire pressure, if its a tad low, it steers like a train. Keep ur fingers away from that front brake when practicing slow speed maneuvers! I bounce back and forth between the Ultra and the Sporty, the sporty is easier to toss around in the slow work and just feels more nimble. But the Ultra will make the same maneuvers. You may find it a bit easier to run the parking lot trials either with more RPM or even in 2nd gear running at the lower rpms. Personally i prefer to run it in first gear with more throttle. NOT any more speed, just more throttle.

Switch up the choices for find what works best for you. Try watching Jerry's Motorcycle Dancing video... and listen to the rps. Donna keeps hers steady while Jerry is constantly blipping the throttle. Both are at the exact same speed. The waltz cuts out at 2:33 for just enough time to hear the differences in their techniques.

Thanks
I bought his video and book and have been practicing. I signed up for one of his courses in May but someone else told me they would not put their bike through that course as they felt the maneuvers were more extreme than typically required. The video is good and his techniques seem good.

#15 ·
Over the years I have met rider with years of experience that have taken the Riders Safety Course as a refresher, come away saying that they learned a lot of techniques that they have forgotten. So, you might consider taking a Safety Course near you as it will help with your slow turn maneuvers.

#19 ·
I remember stepping up to my Electra Glide UC. Was a big change for me but had no issues. You could go to a big public parking lot that has little to no traffic (maybe on Sunday). Take is easy and cruise around like you would any other full parking lot with cars. Up & down the isles and in & out of parking spaces. When comfortable, work up to other low traffic riding that is slow moving. For me the key was the seat - feet flat on the ground helps with stops, starts, slow moving, and may build your confidence. Practice is the key.

#21 ·
One might say I suck at slow speed maneuvering--its an inner ear thing--but somehow I manage to keep her up when moving. Standing still or nearly still is a different thing.
Beware of grease spots or sand/gravel under foot.
:cool:

#22 · (Edited)
It just takes practice and getting used to it. Start out easy and progressively try to get tighter and tighter, slower, faster, etc, just don't push too hard, too fast.

I won't pretend to be remotely this good, but I can do a full lock u-turn in either direction. Can't really do tight figure 8s or anything like that, but I also never practiced doing that or any of that police course level riding. Though, I'm also on a softail and not a full bagger, so it's easier for me.

Was on FB and my local Harley dealer posted this and I made me think of this thread:

#23 ·
Practice putting the bike exactly where you want it every time. Pick the spot where you want the front tire to be when you stop. Making a right from a dead stop use the lines in the crosswalk to measure and tighten up the turn radius. Practice emergency stops. It's amazing how light a big bagger feels when some asshat makes you have to lock up the brakes.
With a little bit of practice you can do the same thing on the glide that you can do with the metric.

#24 ·
I think the most important thing that I've learned is, look where you're going! Not meaning looking out for traffic or just paying attention. I mean if you're coming up to a turn or, making a U-turn, look right at where you want to go. And plus 1 on Jerry's video's! Stay safe and practice whenever you can.

#28 ·
Yeah, think my book says 36. 65 seems a touch high.

#32 ·
I run 38 front and 42 rear on the Ultra, with spouse on, I can drag floorboards with confidence (mine, not so much hers)!

Reactions: 1/2 Ton and Kainam
#33 ·
I know well how that sounds... I may be deaf but, when i dragged both boards on a tight S turn, with the wife riding pillion... I could hear her "SLOW THE F**** DOWN" just as plain as day! So i decided to mellow the run a bit. She was scared of riding her own bike on that same road (because of that one incident) three weeks later... So i had her lead. 🙃

Reactions: slingshot383
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.