Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my bike this morning...rode it home....loving every second of it.

everything is laid out in the garage, new exhaust, turn sign relocation kit, mini floorboards etc..

park the bike and start stripping it down...old exhaust off...new exhaust ready...f*&%!$g bracket doesn't line up!!!

Phone up JPCycles who I bought it from..."oh that's not our problem, you'd have to talk to V&H"...who of course aren't open at the weekend...so all weekend I have no bike!!..and probably for the rest of the week too while I wait for them to ship the correct parts.

I think they may have sent me the 2006 version....since the installation instructions talk about oxygen sensors which my bike doesn't have.

very very very VERY unhappy right now

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,602 Posts
So put the old stuff back on and ride until the correct stuff arrives.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it doesn't align to the frame...the bolt holes are way off.

I've put the old stuff back on but I'm going to wait a while before I ride

1) unfamiliar bike
2) bad mood

not a good combination for safe riding

·
Wayward Son
23,506 Posts
it doesn't align to the frame...the bolt holes are way off.
Was hoping you were going to say they were off a little at the pipes. Not an unusual thing.
But the frame is a whole different story.
Waiting sucks. :mad

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im more and more convinced they've just sent me the wrong year and I'm hoping that the only difference is the bracket and they can send me one out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are the pics I took of the bracket alignment.
There are 3 holes in the bracket (from the top) 1,2,3

I can just about get the bracket on the bolt for hole 2 (although I don't think there is enough thread available to secure it). However, you can see here how far off hole 3 is, and that the bracket is up against the casing.

and here is how far off hole 1 is

Holes 1 and 2 can't be used together either since the bracket wont fit around the casing..and even if I did manage that, I doubt the bracket would fit in the right angle to allow the exhaust to mount.

Interestingly, I played around on the JPCycles website and the part numbers for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 bikes are all the same...so I'm not sure how they have sent me the wrong parts since all bikes around my year seem to have the same parts.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Usually in these types of situations I just fab up my own brackets or a linkage from where the newer style brackets to the mount point. I have had problems with Samson in the past. The first time I had to create my own shifter linkage extension because the one they sent was for a different model and the second time they sent me one head pipe with an O2 bung and the other without lol. Sometimes the wrong parts get stuffed in the box by the warehouse dudes. Don't let it get you down. Just Chive On, have a beer and look for ways to fix the problem if the company won't help you.

-Rohan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sadly, I'm not a metal worker..and while I have the skills, I don't have the tools to fabricate something. Plus it's not just getting the bracket to line up to the holes, it's getting the bracket to line up to the holes with the exhaust mounting holes in the correct position for the pipes to fix to. Each little bit of tolerance in the bracket is then multiplied to the exhaust....and I really shouldn't have to make anything.

Here is another image showing just how far off the mounting holes are...this, to me at least, clearly indicates the wrong bracket being supplied.

I started with mounting hole one which uses a supplied spacer, hole 2 is about 8mm away, hole three is about 25mm away

·
Retired citizen
23,667 Posts
Trans changed on the '06 and newer Dynas, to 6spd. The exh. bracket would be different than the '05 and older models.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,330 Posts
..... but I'm going to wait a while before I ride

1) unfamiliar bike
2) bad mood

not a good combination for safe riding
IMHO, a VERY wise attitude. Before I moved to Texas and had at least some winter lay-up of the bike

I had a superstition to NEVER take "the last ride of the season.."

or "the first ride" of the spring, since a childhood friend wound up in a halo-rig and quadriplegic

after breaking his neck because he "wanted to take one last ride" as he was selling his sprocket-rocket.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,330 Posts
Picked up my bike this morning...rode it home....loving every second of it.

everything is laid out in the garage, new exhaust, turn sign relocation kit, mini floorboards etc..

park the bike and start stripping it down...old exhaust off...new exhaust ready...f*&%!$g bracket doesn't line up!!!

Phone up JPCycles who I bought it from..."oh that's not our problem, you'd have to talk to V&H"...who of course aren't open at the weekend...so all weekend I have no bike!!..and probably for the rest of the week too while I wait for them to ship the correct parts.

I think they may have sent me the 2006 version....since the installation instructions talk about oxygen sensors which my bike doesn't have.

very very very VERY unhappy right now

Wait a minute... I got all wound up and rabid, on your behalf, but it occurs to me

JPCycles hasn't got the reputation they have by blowing off a mistake like that.

I suspect whoever you talked to believed you were reporting a manufacturing defect,

which does probably mean you deal with the manufacturer, you need to call back and be polite, but firm,

YOU SENT ME THE WRONG PART. NOT A DEFECT OR FLAW. THE WRONG PART.

I ORDERED A TIRE BUT YOU SENT ME A HEADLIGHT, LIKE THAT, THE WRONG PART.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was very polite but J&P stated that they had sent the correct part as per my order and their system (after cross checking part numbers and match for my bike). But they said that the exhaust kit (all supplied in one box) was sent to them by V&H and that they had no control over exactly what was in the box and that's why I should talk to V&H.

I suspect they have sent me what they believe to be the correct part but as has been pointed out, the dyna changed to 6 speed in 2006 so the frame is probably different. J&P however give the same part number for all models I checked from 2004-2007.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spoke to a different person this morning who says I ordered the wrong part!! I'm sure I didn't but oddly the part-number on my order isn't the same as the one on the website...so now I'm just confused!!

I have placed another order for what the different rep tells me is the right part...in the meantime I will return the other one.

it's all fun.

PS thanks to you guys for chipping in...one thing I love about the motorcycle community is the spirit of support.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry to hear you had that problem. when you call J&P the calls are most likely coming here to South Dakota as one of our local call center takes most of their calls along with a lot of other company calls. The call center person really has no other option but to tell you to call the manufacturer. She has been telling me all the horror stories over the past few years with mean I will Never order anything from them. I have dealt with V&H directly and have always had a good outcome. Good luck, Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently installed vnh short shots on my 99 fxdx and what you have looks like the same mounting bracket I used which everything lined up great....looks like they sent the wrong bracket..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts