Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding in the cold weather for several years and just can't seem to find that good pair of warm gloves. I have the heated gloves that I bought through HD but they don't work all to well. Anyone recommend a good pair of gloves that would sustain cold weather in the teens and 20s.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have never used heated gloves, but the brand I always here is gerber. At least your bike has a fairing on it to keep the wind off the hands. I would not think any glove can keep hands warm on a bike with an open front and temps in the teens.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
I've used what worked well on my snowmobile in minus 10 ( it had hot grips ) that didn't work long in 30 deg on my bike. I don't think you will find any unassisted gloves that are vary effective in 20 deg for long. Heated gloves or grips are gona be necessary ask Chief .

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Gerbing heated gloves are your friend. Got em last year, work great. Get the dual controller, when your hands warm up, you'll find something else gets cold.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,464 Posts
Can't do you much good from the South Coast, but I have a pair of gauntlet gloves with this "Thinsulate" stuff that works pretty well for me. I think in your situation, heated grips and heated gloves in combination may be the best solution.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Can't do you much good from the South Coast, but I have a pair of gauntlet gloves with this "Thinsulate" stuff that works pretty well for me. I think in your situation, heated grips and heated gloves in combination may be the best solution.
I have heated grips on my bike, to me they are about useless. The only area they warm are your palms while your knuckles and finger tips still freeze.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gloves

Go to Cabela's or Bass Pro shops. Look for the neoprene ice fishing gloves. Wind poof, water proof. They work very well.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I agree that heated gloves are your only option when the mercury drops. I have no fairing on my RKC so my hands are always out in the open. I tried many combinations of gloves trying to keep my hands warm and never found anything to prevent tingling finger tips.

A little over a year ago, I invested in heated glove liners. These plug into a battery pigtail and I wear them inside of my winter leather gauntlet gloves. You want to put the heat as close to the skin as possible. This helped tremendously at keeping my hands from suffering the effects of the winter cold. After implementing the heated liners, two things became apparent: (1) With my hands now able to tolerate the cold, I noticed how much the rest of my body was feeling the effects of the cold too. Before, I was so distracted by my stinging/numb hands that I never realized how cold my knees and toes were. (2) I really did not like the long splitter wire that I had to route up the inside of my jacket and down each arm every time I wanted to use the heated glove liners.

This year, I invested in heated liners for every part of my body: jacket liner; pants liner; sock liners. The beauty of the system is that it all inter-connects. The glove liners now connect to plugs built into the jacket sleeves so no more long splitter wire and the routing nightmare associated with it. The pants connect to a plug at the jacket waistline and the socks connect to plugs at the bottom of the pants legs. This system has allowed me to continue riding and not suffer the effects of cold weather. I have ridden in 34° weather at 50 mph for hours at a time and never felt cold. In fact, I have only gotten cold when I stopped to pump gas; the bike was off and I had disconnected the heated gear. There was a bitter wind blowing, the metal gas pump was excruciatingly cold and my nose, ears and hands were complaining in equal measures. I was glad to get back on the bike so I could get warm!

·
Registered
16 Posts
merry Christmas
try this Motorcycle Scooter Handle Bar Mitts Muffs Gloves Hand Warmer
slip over handle bars put hands in cost about 25 bucks

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I have two pairs of Gerbing heated gloves; both pairs work great. In fact, the only gloves that I would recommend for winter riding are heated gloves. I ride a 2009 Dyna Super Glide; in the winter I put on a windshield, but my hands are still exposed to the air. In 16 degree air, my hands were still toasty.

My latest pair of Gerbing gloves are the G3's. They use Gerbing's microwire heating elements. I think that they provide a more evenly distributed heat than my six-year-old first pair of Gerbing gloves. Both are very warm, but the microwire G3's are more comfortable.

The problem with unheated gloves is that in order to keep your hands warm, they need a lot of insulation. That insulation translates into a glove that makes it hard to feel the controls on your bike. Held makes a good winter glove, nowhere near as warming as Gerbing gloves, but the insulation is so think that it actually makes riding with them a dangerous proposition.

Unfortunately, there is no magic insulation out there. Despite the claims of a host of manufacturers, no one has developed an insulation that can keep your hands warm at 32 degrees, in a 60 mph wind, and still let you have a good feel for the controls.

If you are going to ride in cold weather, there really is no option other than a good pair of heated gloves.

Pete

I've been riding in the cold weather for several years and just can't seem to find that good pair of warm gloves. I have the heated gloves that I bought through HD but they don't work all to well. Anyone recommend a good pair of gloves that would sustain cold weather in the teens and 20s.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I originally bought a heated vest - big mistake. My hands were toasty in my Gerbing gloves and my torso was warm too, but my arms were freezing.

Today I have all of the heated liners - footbeds, pants, jacket and gloves. My Dyna has a lot of excess electrical capacity so running all of this gear, even on high, does not cause an excessive power drain.

No matter how cold it gets, I stay very warm. Under the right outerwear, I don't think that it gets cold enough here in western NC to keep me off the Dyna.

Pete

Gerbing heated gloves are your friend. Got em last year, work great. Get the dual controller, when your hands warm up, you'll find something else gets cold.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I have heated gloves and they work well, but after about 30 mins of riding in 30° weather the windchill starts to creep in. I purchased a pair of hand wind guards and those along with the heated gloves seem to be the best option. One without the other doesn't quite get the job done. You can also slip a couple of Little Hotties hand warmers in your gloves for even more warmth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a pair of the HD gloves and they work very good. The gloves I have are guaranteed for life. If yours don't work too good, try to send then back. JMO

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I posted earlier about my heated gloves alone not quite cutting it for me in temps in the 30°s so I added hand wind guards and the combo is perfect. Without the constant wind hitting my hands the heating elements are able to maintain the warmth inside the gloves. I thought I'd add a picture to the thread

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hippo-hands, similar to the atv mitts, but made for your particular bike. Seals up nice, keeps the wind off your mitts. I rode last winter using these and 80g thinsolate gauntlets only, with temps at or just above freezing. Throw windchill into the mix, damn frosty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a windshield and some Brukus WingShields on my Dyna Super, the WingShields work great and really simplify the glove problem. Blocking the oncoming air and wind makes a huge difference.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I posted earlier about my heated gloves alone not quite cutting it for me in temps in the 30°s so I added hand wind guards and the combo is perfect. Without the constant wind hitting my hands the heating elements are able to maintain the warmth inside the gloves. I thought I'd add a picture to the thread
What's your source for those handguards?

--

·
Registered
298 Posts
freedomisntfree; I have no intention like hi-jacking your thread but I thought this is just where I must ask, if you don’t mind. Starting a new thread didn’t seem to make sense.

Does anyone know if these gloves work as advertised? They are supposed to be:

Tailor made to work with your heated grips, the Rev’It! Fusion GTX glove makes do with a slightly thinner construction to take full advantage of the heat transfer”.

I am planning to use them on H-D heated grips. Shall I believe the claim?

REV'IT! Fusion GTX Gloves - Motorcycle Superstore

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I bought both pairs of my Gerbing gloves at Tilley Harley Davidson in Statesville, NC. When a glove failed, they sent it back and I didn't even have to pay shipping.

Gerbing is not giving a lifetime warranty anymore, at least not for the wiring that connects the glove to the micro-wire heating elements.

Pete

I have a pair of the HD gloves and they work very good. The gloves I have are guaranteed for life. If yours don't work too good, try to send then back. JMO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts