Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am brand new to the forum and a fairly new Harley owner (2006 Street Bob)! I must say that my little Bob is a fun machine to ride compared to the metrics I have previously owned! I purchased my bike "used" with approx. 4500 miles on it. Up until this point everything has run (and acted) normal. I have put about 1500 miles on the scooter since buying it. The bike has V & H Staggered Short Shots with a V&H Fuel controller onboard. It also has a screaming eagle airfilter (not the stock, sort of square-ish looking filter....or at least thats what the dealer told me). I made the trip down to Daytona in October last year and ended up basically stuck in traffic (parade~stop n go) while riding down main street. The engine got very hot (burning the hell out of my thighs) and begin to run rough as i inched slowly through the traffic. I believe the motor was going into the heat management mode and I basically had to keep throttle on at idle to keep it from shutting down. Once we got out of this mess and back up to decent speed, everything seemed to calm down a bit. Since this time i have begun to notice a noise that sounds like loose tin rattling at the rear of the engine (maybe even the rear exhaust pipe). It wasn't an immediate, instant noise but rather a gradual increase over the next few hundred miles. It doesn't sound internal but since I am new to Harleys I'm not exactly sure where or what this may be. My first thought is the heat shield on the back exhaust but I can't find anywhere that it may be lose. Also I have notice that the head pipe (pipe underneath the heat shield coming just out of the head) starts glowing red after just a short start up and idle. The bike continues to run fine at speeds with no misses, backfires or sputters. So with all this said here are my questions:
1.) Does the noise sound severe or common with the V&H SS's?
2.) Is the pipes glowing red a normal thing while running at idle?
3.) Because the bike went into the Heat Management mode (i think) should I have the oil changed (someone told me that I should)?
4.) Shouldn't the fuel controller help keep the temp down on the engine by keeping the mixture more rich?
5.) Or should I dump the V&H system and start over before something bad happens? BTW...I love the sound of the SS's

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to get everything out on the table so i can take care of my bike! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Lamar

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the fuel management system. Running red hot like that is not normal and is likely not good for your bike. I'd get this problem checked out before any more riding so, if possible, you can avoid serious damage.:USA:

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Sounds like bike is running lean and need to have your V&H Fuel controller re calibrated. Noise could be heat shield or loose baffle?
Try running synthetic oil for cooler engine temp.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i dont think a 06 had heat management did it ? thought only the 08 touring did i would change the oil .. sitting still and idling nothing is going to keep the engine cool period

Sounds like its running lean a bit on stock exhust its not uncommon to see one idle and turn the rear head pipe red

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bud W. According to the owners manual (2006 Harley Dyna Owners Manual) it does. I think that I read somewhere that the 08 and newer models had a different HMS that could somehow be control by the rider....again I'm not exactly sure! The way the bike was behaving while we were in the traffic at Daytona matches the manual that came with the bike exactly! I have just noticed the header pipes turning red within the past week and only while sitting at idle in my driveway!

The noise sounds like either the heat shield or maybe the internal baffle (sounds like a lite rattling tin and only when I rev it up a bit and then decelerate back to idle)....it doesn't sound like its coming from inside the engine but again i'm a newbie to Harley and really don't know for sure! I know that I need to return to the dealer but my fear is that they are going to try and hit me up for a new fuel controller! Not sure if anyone has experience with the V&H unit but if so it would maybe help make an informed decision when i get there! Anyway, I'll keep listening for more!
Thanks everyone for your responses....I appreciate your feedback (and so will my wallet):)
Lamar

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...will do Bud W.!
Thanks Hawkman...planning to make the switch to synthetic oil as well!
Thanks stevenw300....I have parked the bike and will trailer it to the dealer (cringing when I say that) :(

Still listening for other thoughts about the V&H Fuel Controller (reliability, frequent problems, normal life, cost, and even if this is worth replacing if bad)!

Great forum BTW

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
Mine is 05, and 95", it will go into skip stroke heat reduction mode, and anytime I leave it idle for more than a few minutes the pipes are glowing red, but I've never noticed it when it wasn't dark out, like real early in the morning, also never except when I leave it sit too long warming up, maybe the ECU is running really rich to warm up?
V-Rod does the same thing. BTW, saw it all lit up red like it had soft LED lighting, from the pipes.

Pretty sure the times I've seen the pipes red, it wasm't in skip stroke mode. So it has been hotter.
Don't let it idle so long, but it's also bound to be happening stuck in traffic.
I wouldn't figure it had anything wrong with it. Ride it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Can't really add anything new that the others haven't already said, except to say that you've learned the first rule of Daytona the hard way - NEVER NEVER NEVER attempt to ride Main Street or ANY of the main roads during Bike Week or Biketoberfest! Do what I did - stop in at any convenience store, buy a tourist map, and take the back streets! You'll get where you're going a hell of a lot sooner, trust me!

Air-cooled engines and stop-and-go traffic don't mix.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
If it has tourqe cones they could of cracked.If you have them they are inside the exhuast flange and if you have them they could be a obstruction in the pipe.Just somthing to check for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply Nathang! Your response makes me feel a little better especially since I was beginning to think my Lil Dyna bob might be trying to develop some sort of internal gastric problems! I am planning to take it to a Harley certfied mechanic (not the dealer) who seems to have a good reputation in our neck of the woods!

Thanks Traveller...and you're right! I have learned the hard way and will never ride down main street again or anywhere else the traffic is at a dead, slow crawl (if I can help it)!

Thanks for the tip Badassbrutus! I plan to have look into the pipes tonight with a light an see if anything looks weird or loose!!

All of this has helped me better understand what to expect and I thank you all for your responses!! Again...great forum!

Lamar

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the rattle, is there any type of baffle or something that could be loose inside the pipe?
Glowing red is NOT normal
No you don't need to change oil just because the engine went into heat management mode. This is called EITMS Engine Idle Temperature Management System.
The EITMS was doing what it was suppose to, it shuts off fuel and spark to the rear cyclinder when the engine is at idle and gets to a preset temp. It also richens the the fuel mix slightly but as soon as you blip the throttle above idle, it turns on the rear cyclinder and leans the fuel mix which causes more heat. I believe nightrider.com has a description of it.
I would pull the exhaust off and make sure you don't have something causing a restriction. You may also want to see if the previous owner had the stage one download done to the ecm.

Good Luck

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,197 Posts
Any of you guys saying seeing red pipes means trouble, if your bike is FI so the idle is fast,
start it in the dark with the headlight pointed out into an empty space,
so you're not getting a lot of bounced back light, and let it idle for 10 minutes,
the pipes WILL get red, you have to actually look behind the shield, it's the pipes
and not the covers that glow. The pipes will get red before the engine goes
into heat management mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts