Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my first bike in April and I have had a fall ride planned for the past 6mos with my brother and bother in-law. It will be our first overnight trip and we were planning on 600-700 mile trip (2 1/2 days) the weather forecast has turned for the worst with lots of rain and highs in the 40s pretty much all weekend.

For you seasoned riders would you postpone the trip or say screw it and ride? I would have to push the trip 2 weeks later and still gamble on the weather.

Thanks!!

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I believe we will have our indian summer yet. It's a gamble as you have said. I guess I'd take the chance and wait, but, be ready to go if it turns for the better. 700 miles isn't much for 2.5 days so I imagine you have other stops on your journey. If that's the case and they are all outside, it might be a cruddy trip. Or, it may be a lot of fun anyway. Depends on the crew. JMO.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would postpone, 40's and rain you would not enjoy the ride. Two weeks at this time of year could get you into the mid 60's and sunny.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Purchased my first bike in April and I have had a fall ride planned for the past 6mos with my brother and bother in-law. It will be our first overnight trip and we were planning on 600-700 mile trip (2 1/2 days) the weather forecast has turned for the worst with lots of rain and highs in the 40s pretty much all weekend.

For you seasoned riders would you postpone the trip or say screw it and ride? I would have to push the trip 2 weeks later and still gamble on the weather.

Thanks!!
If your riding a geezer-glide ........what be the problem ? LOL
Your weather is only going to get colder so just suck it up & carry a good rain suit . You'll enjoy the trip even if it rains !
Ride Safe & Ride Righteous ! :2cents:2cents

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
If you've got the time and can push the trip to the right, I'd wait a few days/weeks. If not, saddle up and ride in the rain. Either way, it'll be an experience that you will talk about for years...

·
Registered
593 Posts
If it's gonna rain hard for most of trip I would put off. If it's rain here and there I go. Riding in heavy non stop rain does suck but your not doing that many miles and they have rain gear and plenty of bars to stop at. You will remember and talk about it more if you ride through a little rain. Flip the coin and have fun.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
If you're dressed appropriately, riding in the rain can be fun.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
40's and rain is a tough haul. The cold is bad enough, but moisture just makes it miserable.

I'm not usually one to shy away from any ride, but I would push that one off if you could. Without heated gear, a full face helmet, and a few pair of gloves that are "waterproof", it may make for a miserable trip.

Riding in the rain is fine, but cold and miserable can lead to making a mistake.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
40's and rain is a tough haul. The cold is bad enough, but moisture just makes it miserable.

I'm not usually one to shy away from any ride, but I would push that one off if you could. Without heated gear, a full face helmet, and a few pair of gloves that are "waterproof", it may make for a miserable trip.

Riding in the rain is fine, but cold and miserable can lead to making a mistake.

I'm impressed and a little surprised by your prudent advice.

I'd still go. :)

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
What happened to Stangs? I thought he would have said.........you know what you have to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't cancel the ride, just change the destination. Head to where it is gonna be sunny and 75!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we didn't cancel but it was cut drastically short. It was me and 2other bikes, 2 of us (including me) were well prepared for the rainy cold weather and the 3rd WAS NOT!!!. Left Friday evening and returned home Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday evening like planned.

Rain and 60 Friday evening wasn't to bad. Rain and 45 on Saturday was a bit harder to handle.

I normally wear half helmet but decided to wear my full face snowmobile helmet. BEST decision I made!!!

Thanks for all the advise and safe riding to all!!!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Good for you! That adds to your experience as a rider, and that's valuable. Now you have a better idea of what you're willing to deal with and hlw to cope with it. As for your 3rd guy, you learned that your ride is only as strong as your weakest link. I learned that back in dirt riding days. Rain and cold kills "macho".

--

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Glad you got a ride in thats the main thing. Good on you for being prepared. I will battle one or the other, cold or rain, but both... thats a miserable ride. I have heated gear, I ran 400 miles one way in 50 degrees, that was a challenge.. on the way back 40s... I think of 12 hours of riding I really enjoyed about 2. I was running slab, that didn't help, but I do feel that I am pushing my limit as an older rider, thats one thing that I can't change. Just my .02. Above all, no matter how miserable, stay safe out there.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Good for you! That adds to your experience as a rider, and that's valuable. Now you have a better idea of what you're willing to deal with and hlw to cope with it. As for your 3rd guy, you learned that your ride is only as strong as your weakest link. I learned that back in dirt riding days. Rain and cold kills "macho".

--
That's a GREAT quote Silverback !
"RAIN & COLD KILLS MACHO" ! :laugh:think:rofl:

·
Registered
147 Posts
we used to bundle up get cold and wet anyway miserable - most of the boys and girls around here have gone to heated gear - I use heated vest, gloves and socs put a rain jacket over makes for a comfortable dry warm ride with hands/feet/body toasty warm now the decision is never rain or temp just icy spots. ice = no go, we do ride with a foot on snow on sides of road just watch for snow and ice on road in the shadows. I keep my rain suit/heated gear rolled in one of those plastic vacume bags keep on bike you never know when you will run into weather on a long ride now we are never cold or wet ever!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts