Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fri. night at 11:00 A pickup truck crossed the center line and hit a U-Haul truck head-on, killing both drivers instantly. This happened at the end of my drive-way. From 1/2 mile the sound of the crash woke me up, my brother was awake one mile away and heard it. Several minutes later I heard sirens stop at the end of my road. That can never be good, so I got up. I saw the blue and red lights from my kitchen window. Around here, out in the country, if there is an emergency, it's all hands on deck until it's determined your help is not needed. When I got there, there was no sense of urgency. Two Deputies had the hwy. blocked and more rescue personnel were showing up to cut the remains out of the badly mangled vehicles. One man was 23 yrs.old the other man was 29 yrs.old, if I'm not mistaken. The Deputies were redirecting traffic through a neighbors yard until an 18 wheeler bogged down and blocked the drive. This is THE hwy. that runs from Columbia to the beach. It being Memorial Day weekend and the Atlantic Beach Bike Rally, there was A LOT of traffic. What a mess. A black dog must have been ejected because it was seen leaving the scene with some injuries. My sister-in-law searched for the dog to return to it's family but was too late. When she found it, it had been hit by another car. It's been a real buzz kill for me this weekend when I think about it. Knowing their families must be devastated. Be thankful for today, for tomorrow is promised to no one. I hope everyone has had a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
that is awful. Sorry to hear this

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Wow man, that sucks... Prayers be with their families and loved ones.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
i hope they had upgraded their medical part of the insurance because a life line trip cost 12to 23k normally.helo air time is expensive with medical qualified personnel.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,107 Posts
I used to live near a bad intersection, a Care-Flight helicopter ambulance

at least meant they hoped somebody might survive.

More often nobody was in a real big hurry.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i hope they had upgraded their medical part of the insurance because a life line trip cost 12to 23k normally.helo air time is expensive with medical qualified personnel.
The only flight these guys took was the flight to the after life.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Out here in the sticks we have volunteer fire/rescue. We have a station about a mile from my house. I have to give these guys credit. When a call goes out, they are there fast. They are really into it. They are always doing some type of training exercises. They make me proud. May God bless all.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,107 Posts
Out here in the sticks we have volunteer fire/rescue. We have a station about a mile from my house. I have to give these guys credit. When a call goes out, they are there fast. They are really into it. They are always doing some type of training exercises. They make me proud. May God bless all.

We have the same thing, first class good ole boys. With a major highway thru the area,

they don't usually have to be the primary responders to accidents, but wind driven brush-fire is a big concern here,

and for any house fire, they are all we've got. They must also be sorely hurtin' for fund-raising.

They brought little fruit baskets first year we were in the area at Christmas to introduce themselves

and nearly fell over when we gave $150. their overly appreciative reaction then and again every year since,

maybe more than once a year is such that the usual donation must be sad. Like we are doing them a favor.

:think

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that's sucks to say the least. Did it seem as though the one driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel?
There's really no way to tell. I'm not saying race has anything to do with it, but the Atlantic Beach rally is predominately for blacks and sportbike riders. The guy traveling east in the Toyota truck was black and was probably going to the beach. He may have worked all day and was tired and sleepy. Or impaired or distracted driving could have been involved. No one will ever know, it was just a bad deal. The bodies were mangled and had to be cut out. The pick-up driver's knees were crushed back to his hip. No open coffin funerals here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts