Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use sunglasses for day running and clear safety glasses for the night.
Was thinking of trying goggles for riding in the rain and need opinions on what works for you. I have half helmets with drop visors and have no desire to run a full face. I'm looking for what you use and your opinions on how they work and anything else that might help.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Subscribing, I need something as well.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
I use to switch out with glasses. I now have the HD goggles with transitional lenses, for the most part they work great in rain. When I hit some really bad rain, I have clears I put on. In the cooler weather, you will find the goggles fog up pretty quick. Other than that I like em.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I use to switch out with glasses. I now have the HD goggles with transitional lenses, for the most part they work great in rain. When I hit some really bad rain, I have clears I put on. In the cooler weather, you will find the goggles fog up pretty quick. Other than that I like em.

That was my experience, the fog. Traffic was almost a deathtrap.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
The glasses I use didn't fog up in the rain, but just couldn't see from all the rain on them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I typically wear a 3/4 helmet with a visor. At night I just take off my sunglasses. Lately since getting a windshield I take the visor off my helmet. Been pondering a half shell lately.

Last year when I road the Blue Ridge parkway rain was an issue. My buddy road with goggles and a half shell. He hated it as he couldn't see anything. My visor was a savior

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
That ain't gonna cut it. Yours have good venting, Gold?
I only have problems with fogging in temps in the 50s, and only when first gearing up once I get rolling never had an issue with fogging while riding.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I have rode in downpours, where the rain was pounding my eyes, to the point they were burning. Light rain for a short time is one thing, but all day in a fairly heavy rain I definitely need something.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
I have rode in downpours, where the rain was pounding my eyes, to the point they were burning. Light rain for a short time is one thing, but all day in a fairly heavy rain I definitely need something.
Every try glasses that have the foam fit around your eyes? Thats what I had before goggles, worked good in a day ride in the rain.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Every try glasses that have the foam fit around your eyes? Thats what I had before goggles, worked good in a day ride in the rain.

Yea, I tried them, not sure they fit me the best.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Coming home from C-II last year, after kd and I split up, I ran into the worst rain situation I've ever ridden through. Traffic on the slab was slowing to 45 and some cages were pulling over. I was glad I was wearing my 3/4 helmet with a clear full visor. I was also wearing cheap clear safety glasses behind the visor. That combination enabled me to keep going. I had also treated the visor and my windshield with Rain-X for plastic (different from the regular stuff) before the trip. I probably should have pulled over, but I didn't want to chance becoming a sitting duck on the shoulder.

I normally wear the 3/4 helmet without the visor on the highway -- just the windshield and glasses, but when I'm anticipating rain, I snap on the clear visor. It has detents to hold different angles to help control air flow to help with rain and road spray.

--

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Check out the Scott 83X Safari Face Mask Goggle. I've used these before I bought my 3/4 helmet. It works really well in the rain.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
I normally wear the 3/4 helmet without the visor on the highway -- just the windshield and glasses, but when I'm anticipating rain, I snap on the clear visor. It has detents to hold different angles to help control air flow to help with rain and road spray.

--
Good point Dave, I did fail to point out, with the googles and the glasses I use to wear, when I've gotten rained on, I did not have a helmet on. I don't know if that makes a difference, so far I have not ridden in a downpour in my helmet, last year was the first year I rode with one.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Ski / snowboard goggles work well. They are well vented.

There is also an anti fog product available anywhere they sell ski/snowboard gear that you run on your lenses. It works well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have the helmet with the pull down shield. During dusk and into night and rain I have been using the glasses with the yellow lenses. Find they brighten up everything, then if rain gets heavy, pull down shield.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
In addition to all of the wind/rain deflection devices I have mounted on the bike itself, I've tried several types of goggles for rain. So far the most efficient are the cheap safety goggles from the home improvement stores. The old fashioned style clear plastic, flat lens, little holes for vents around the outside. I had to put thicker elastic strap on them, but they work ok, and my glasses fit under them.
Dorkey as hell, but I can see in the rain.

Lab Protection Goggles Eye Protective Safety Transparent Glasses Anti Fog Clear | eBay

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies, men. I may try the Scott goggles and add the Darth Vader thingy if needed. I run a short windshield on my SG, usually the 7" with my super lowered oem seat, unless I'm on a long run and have my lowered Sundowner on and then I'll run my 8".

·
Mountain Rider
1,351 Posts
Ski / snowboard goggles work well. They are well vented.

There is also an anti fog product available anywhere they sell ski/snowboard gear that you run on your lenses. It works well.
I use ski googles too when it rains hard and it does a great job. The ones I have are tinted too so they tend to brighten your view of what would normally be a dark a cloudy one. When it is not raining all that hard I just snap in the foam inserts into my wrap around sunglasses.

:biker:

·
Guitarslinger
3,334 Posts
I use Googles too and I use Rain-X on them. The rain rolls off the lens.

That being said the rain x might not ne good for the lens but the riding googles I have only cost $10 so if I ever notice something going bad on the lens I can afford another $10 for new ones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts