Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the RKCl goes in this winter to have the front end changed over to chrome and lowered are there any other mods that you all knowing and wise bikers suggest I consider?:)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
You are going to lower a bagger? You do know this is going to affect your cornering ability, right?

I'd look into brake improvements while I had it down.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Oh wait, you wanted all knowing and wise biker responses......that kinda puts me out.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already lowered the back. Just going for an equal amount in the front. As I understand the impact on cornering it will make the lean limit a bit early. Anything else?

Also, would you mind elaborating on the brake improvement suggestion, please?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I've already lowered the back. Just going for an equal amount in the front. As I understand the impact on cornering it will make the lean limit a bit early. Anything else?

Also, would you mind elaborating on the brake improvement suggestion, please?
Early if you are kicking ass and taking names. I dont think you are that aggressive of a rider are you? The lowering not only looks cool but dramatically enhances handling. Good move. Anything else you ask....Hmmm lets see...It is pretty well setup already, maybe some new tires and did you ever go for the eprom reflash?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Early if you are kicking ass and taking names. I dont think you are that aggressive of a rider are you? The lowering not only looks cool but dramatically enhances handling. Good move. Anything else you ask....Hmmm lets see...It is pretty well setup already, maybe some new tires and did you ever go for the eprom reflash?
No, you've got it right. I just poke around compared to some.

New tires? Other than those pretty ole white walls? Is there something better for traction, mileage, safety?

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
You may want to consider braided brake lines and I switched from the factory brake pads to Lindall Z-Pads for a dramatic less noisy difference. Progressive makes very good lowering lits for the front end as well.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Most dealers will sell non-HD parts. Many dealers, HD or not will balk at installing parts you bring in the door. It pisses me off, but I recognize that there can be some liability issues. My buddy owns a Honda dealer and they are specifically forbidden by their insurance company to install parts that they have not supplied.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most dealers will sell non-HD parts. Many dealers, HD or not will balk at installing parts you bring in the door. It pisses me off, but I recognize that there can be some liability issues. My buddy owns a Honda dealer and they are specifically forbidden by their insurance company to install parts that they have not supplied.
I've heard the liability thing at the dealership here.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Usually If I don't do it myself I'll have my indy do it for me. Do you have a reputable independent cycle shop in your area? Going to my indy saves me at least 50% on labor. Something to consider?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Usually If I don't do it myself I'll have my indy do it for me. Do you have a reputable independent cycle shop in your area? Going to my indy saves me at least 50% on labor. Something to consider?
Geat point. Same here.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Where are you from in Western NY? a friend of mine comes from Jamestown. WAAAAYYYYYY to much winter for me there!!

I would go over to his shop and talk to him and make your own determination. There's nothing wrong with going to the dealer if that is your easiest option. They will warranty the work and make it right if anything fails.

I'd like to see some before and after pics of your Road King. The chrome front end makes the bike. (Shouldn't Harley just do that from the factory??)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm in Canandaigua in Ontario County. Jamestown can get tough in winter.

Your point about easy is what has stopped me from bothering with the indy guy. I love small shops, but as he is further away and didn't respond......

And, yes! They should do that from the factory. That polished front end just doesn't do it for me....on any ride. It isn't even easier to clean.

This is my favorite pic of her. The passenger boards are now gone, the fringe has been changed to Chillhowee, and a Timberwolf fender bib has been added. No pics of all of that yet.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
I'm in Canandaigua in Ontario County. Jamestown can get tough in winter.

Your point about easy is what has stopped me from bothering with the indy guy. I love small shops, but as he is further away and didn't respond......

And, yes! They should do that from the factory. That polished front end just doesn't do it for me....on any ride. It isn't even easier to clean.

This is my favorite pic of her. The passenger boards are now gone, the fringe has been changed to Chillhowee, and a Timberwolf fender bib has been added. No pics of all of that yet.

We all know why Harley doesn't chrome the front end from the factory. ;)

That's a pretty bike. Good luck with your front end project. The laced wheels are a class act also. I had the Harley shop take the laced wheels off of my Road Glide before I took delivery. Th aluminum mags are much easier to keep clean for me. I also like the looks of the Wide Whites....but again...too much effort on the cleaning

Hve a great day! It's heating up to about 57 now an I think I will get out in the wind for a while. Mowing the lawn will have to ewait until next week...:D

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...but again...too much effort on the cleaning...
Your right! It doesn't make sense does it? House cleaning, full time job and cleaning laced wheels and white walls?

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." Heh Heh. I'm getting a sense of why that fella ever said such a thing. :rofl:

...Have a great day! It's heating up to about 57 now an I think I will get out in the wind for a while. Mowing the lawn will have to ewait until next week...:D
In light of the vice & virtue thread going on, I will say that I am happy for you, even though the word envious keeps clouding my thinking. Ride Safe and Enjoy the Heck Out of the Day :ride

·
COB
1,984 Posts
We all know why Harley doesn't chrome the front end from the factory. ;)
Yes we do.....$$$$$ they want from you.

but again...too much effort on the cleaning
I enjoy hanging out in my garage drinking a beer, smoking a ceegar (if my wife isn't home :eek:) and either cleaning my bike or Loctite'ing everything. To me it is kinda like a horse, I enjoy grooming my bike as much as riding it.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Yes we do.....$$$$$ they want from you.

I enjoy hanging out in my garage drinking a beer, smoking a ceegar (if my wife isn't home :eek:) and either cleaning my bike or Loctite'ing everything. To me it is kinda like a horse, I enjoy grooming my bike as much as riding it.
Keeping the bike clean is important to me but I'm not as particular as some folks. I ride with some guys who can be a little, how can I put this.....A.R.?

Don't get me wrong...the Classic look of the Wide Whites and Laced wheels when properly maintained are spectacular on the right motorcycle.

I hope ya'll have a good week and are able to get out a bit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts