Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Railroader
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted a thread early in January about my upcoming trip for 13 days to Banff, Canada (thanks to those that replied) but I have a question for those that live up in the Pacific/NW. We leave out this Sunday and plan on spending our first night in Redding Ca. My question now, do I head straight to Vancouver up the 5, then to Banff, or head to Banff cutting through Oregon and Idaho to Cranbrook Canada then to Banff???? I am open to suggestions. I plan on riding 6-7 hours a day. Any special towns/places to stay along the way? Just trying to maximize our time in Banff. Thanks for all the potential input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would drive to Vancouver, then to Hope (where they filmed the first Rambo movie) to Kamloops to Revelstoke to Golden then into Banff. This is the reverse route where the west was discovered.

Going through Roger's pass (Elevation 6500') is beautiful, I love the whole drive. There are a lot of National Parks that you will be passing through, lots of wild life... Big horn sheep, Moose, dear, bears, mountain lions etc, make sure you have your cameras ready, there are lots of places to pull over to take rests and stretch your legs.

Drive safely and enjoy the view eh.

·
Railroader
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drive? we will be riding. How is the weather right about now? I saw a few pic and there is LOTS of snow up there is this true???? Thanks all

·
Registered
61 Posts
there's still snow at higher elevations, but the roads should be cleared. I live in Vancouver and its rain season, currently pouring, though we have had some nice weather, rain gear would be a good idea. It's a beautiful ride through the mountains definetly worth the time. I would take zero avenue once you cross the border to get away from the traffic of the city, it will take you to Chilliwack, head to hope from there then get on the highway and cruise. enjoy the ride and the scenery, ride safe. and let us know how it went when you return.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.

If your time permitted I would suggest somewhat of a different route. I-5 is a boring as hell and their are so many different routes to consider. From Redding consider 299 to Alturas and 395 N thru Oregon to Spokane Washington, than a short run on I 90 to Hayden Idaho than north on 2 / 95 to BC via Bonners Ferry to Creston BC than up to Banff. Their is so much to see along this route and so little to see on I-5

Side note, do you have a passport, or enhanced drivers license? It's not as easy to enter Canada these days.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fresno+Art+Museum,+Fresno+Art+Museum,+2233+N+1st+St,+Fresno,+CA+93703&daddr=40.8655681,-121.8415432+to:41.4945309,-120.549551+to:Banff,+AB,+Canada&hl=en&ll=50.941123,-116.251831&spn=1.012431,2.427979&sll=41.042074,-120.890808&sspn=1.211831,2.427979&geocode=FSkTMQIdwmnc-Clzomdc712UgDH6HETPOp_i1A;FSCPbwIdedi8-Cl3_1e5SnHNVDEtI7VYeHlnog;FQIoeQIdUY_Q-CnPEESjtJDLVDEb6bWQvu3tEg;FXvrDAMdr4cc-Sn9SgyRRcpwUzFjlKzavq6vyg&oq=banff&mra=dvme&mrsp=2&sz=9&via=1,2&t=m&z=9

·
Railroader
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Horse,

I like this idea a lot, thanks. Hows the weather first two weeks of June. I would rather skip Vancouver all together and focus on Banff then come home 15 thru Utah maybe hitting Yellowstone if time permits then into vegas then home.

·
Bill
9 Posts
Having flown clients to Canada for years, just make sure everyone has no "Criminal Backgrounds" the Canadians are very touchy about allowing people to overnight in Canada that have been arrested in the States.....

Not that this applies to anyone, just a FYI....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
passport makes border easy no hand guns or dui there is some great riding up there mid June is best didn't catch when you were leaving you will have great time am sure

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use my Iphone as my GPS as I also use it to listen to music. So not sure it that will work

How is the volume on your I phone? I tried using my iPhone for both music and GPS and found volume real low, could barely hear it. I was using ear buds,half helmet.
BTW, sounds like a great trip,enjoy

·
Railroader
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Sire. we will be using full face with the Harley communication system. This is my wife's first road trip, I've done sturgis on 06. We are pretty much all packed, It's weird as you get older, in 06 it was a few pants and shirts and away I went, now its medicine, cpap machine and raingear lol, just realized im an older man now LOL Thanks for all the info folks, I will post a TR when I get back......

·
Railroader
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well 2 hours and counting, going to take the route a BM suggested, 5 to Redding then 395 all the way up to Bonners ferry....... Thanks all for the suggestions......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts